Is Dak unpopular because it is now a passing league?

birdwells1

Reaction score
I would like to cut him too but this team needs to use Dak as a stepping stone until they can find the future QB! We all know a good QB is hard to find so the sooner they get started the better. This team is loaded on defense and offense it just needs a QB that gets rid of the ball quicker and can make all the throws. I feel like the Cowboys are carrying Dak and that he is more the problem than the solution. This offense is set up to look like the Saints but Dak makes them look like the Bills![/QUOTE]

Good post, I've been saying this since last year, when we drafted Zeke the Saints are who we're supposed to be but Romo got injured and the rest is history. I think that Dak is holding this offense back with his inability to attack the whole field, he rarely throws deep middle and rarely throws deep so defenses tend to contract around the line of scrimmage. I personally take some heat off of Linehan because he's playing with a limited quarterback and he's not going to ask him to make reads or throws that he's probably tried in practice and failed. I think that if Linehan had an accomplished passer you'd see the offense open up more.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
See , this is the point.

The Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith for a reason!!!

The Chiefs were a playoff team last year and they still got rid of their "good enough" QB because they wanted to win!!

Dak Prescott is a QB that will never be able to get over the hump against the good teams.
Just look at this year against winning team's.

Why can't fans understand this?

We're already chalking up the Saints game as a loss because they have a better QB so why would we beat anyone else in the playoffs?

The Chiefs made the right call when they upgraded the most important position on their team. Mahomes didn't just magically land on their roster, they moved up to draft him!
They could have said "gee, Alex is good enough to win he's gotten us to the playoffs multiple times" but they knew there was only so much a bus driver could do against good teams.

On top of all that , Dak has a top 5 Defense , top 5 running game , and we barely eek out wins against bad team's!

It's only going to get worse if Jerry pays the man because you will have to go cheap on defense and does anyone trust Dak to win with Romo type defenses?

Sweet, so all we have to do is find the next Drew Brees or Maholms. Easy peasy.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
He's got one and half years to win you over. I'd cut him after the season. I'd cut him now if we didn't trade away the first round pick. Let's win as many games as we can to lower the draft pick and then move on in search of a QB with talent in the offseason. Maybe stash some drugs in his locker and try to frame him on a felony.
A grown woman wrote this.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post Coach but the talent of the QB's you mentioned made those WR's better. Pearson was an UFA. Irvin was a true #1 who's route running and style matched Aikman's skills set perfectly. But Harper benefited from Aikman and became a millionaire bust for TB. Miles Austin was a #1 in this offense and he Laurent Robinson (and even Witten) became millionaires because the QB made them better. Jay Novacek was a Plan B free agent that thrived under Aikman.

Cooper is the best WR we've had since Bryant in his prime and Cooper is even better, IMO. But we can't have All Pro's at every position so our QB can be successful. He's too inconsistent and while we can ride this train as far as it takes us, we should be looking to upgrade the position or at least draft or sign someone to compete against him. He's taking way too many sacks because he doesn't see the field and runs the risk of injury with his style of play.

We shouldn't have to settle at the most important position on the field and excuse away all his obvious flaws. It's either the OL, coaching/play calling, WR rout running, etc. It's always an excuse.
Agree completely, Dak has faults and some may not be correctable; however, how many Tier 1's are there? This last batch of QB's are unknowns with the one I thought to be the least likely, Mayfield, looking like the best so far.

They still have time to get another unless they give him a contract for 15M+, then they're locked in and that is as good as it's gonna get. The Cowboys wouldn't be the first to go all in on a QB and make a mistake. Seems to be more do than don't.

The question is can they build the right team around him and contend? Cooper is a start, get him a good TE and Gallup could be a good 2. They will have to keep Elliott or go high to get another one after his option year.

Dodger, I think the problem is we keep comparing Dak to the Tier 1 guys like Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Those happen to be 3 of the most accurate QB's to ever play, they're far from the norm. We all want a 9 or 10 at QB but may have to settle for a 6 or 7. But, Brees and Rodgers only have one ring and lesser QB's like Flacco and Manning have two.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He is unpopular because his coaches are living in the past and can't game plan to his strengths.

And he is not willing to break free. Dak is not unpopular, he is unliked in some circles. Popularity comes with being the QB of the Cowboys.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he is not willing to break free. Dak is not unpopular, he is unliked in some circles. Popularity comes with being the QB of the Cowboys.
Then the name of the thread needs to be changed to unliked.

rags747

Reaction score
Dak is making you look silly these days. Oline is playing well and he has a real receiver now. How many times did guys like me tell you that was the problem with Dak? Do you think you understand the game a little better now? I know these lessons are hard on you. Seeing as though we have won 3 in a row and in first place now. Almost too much for you to take. Dak is playing great and were winning. Ouch!!!
So about 4-5 games ago u were ready to pack it in on Dak, seems like u have now completely changed your mind. Fair statement?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s now a passing league, high flying league. It’s not “sexy” to run the ball. Smash mouth football is dying and the NFL set-up the game with new rules for Fantasy Footballers / Fan Duelers to make it exciting to throw for 500 yards a game and end up with a final score of 54-51.

The new generation of football fans don’t understand the advantage of a power run offense and controlling the clock. So, Dak isn’t popular because he’s not a gunslinger. It doesn’t matter if you win or lose, fans these days just want to see long bomb throws all day and don’t care if they go 0-16 while doing it.
:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh: :huh:
its not about new generation of fans and understanding power football...its the new NFL. all the rule changes were put in place to increase scoring and make passing easier and thus we have seen passing numbers increase, when a 3000 yard passer was considered really good 20 years ago now if you don't get to 3000 you are below average. and Its not about Das being a gun slinger. He is not accurate. he can't read defenses. he doesn't go through his progression. he takes too many sacks... he tried to power his way through wins. Is he bad all the time? no. no QB is perfect all the time....but thy are more consistently good than bad.....after all they play against NFL caliber defenses..... Das is very inconsistent and less good more often than not.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak is making you look silly these days. Oline is playing well and he has a real receiver now. How many times did guys like me tell you that was the problem with Dak? Do you think you understand the game a little better now? I know these lessons are hard on you. Seeing as though we have won 3 in a row and in first place now. Almost too much for you to take. Dak is playing great and were winning. Ouch!!!
making everyone looking silly? with 280 yards of passing...that's definition of NFL average....... its more like you have set the bar really low....because you like him.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
making everyone looking silly? with 250 yards of passing...that's definition of NFL average....... its more like you have set the bar really low....because you like him.
And we won without having to put up gawdy numbers.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The majority of casual football fans dont understand football, or the QB position. Most morons think you can just go out and find Tom Brady. OR that Tom Brady does it all on his own. Or they think that Brady doesnt throw picks or overthrow receivers.

Others actually think that rookie QB's get worse as they gain more experience.
the minority of fans like yourself assume that the majority of fans think Tom Brady or Rodgers are 100% perfect all the time...where that's absolutely not the case. The FACT is those QBs and many like them make more good plays than bad ones. they make spectacular plays more often....its about consistency....Dak makes good plays...but not enough of them on a regular basis. He misses more plays regularly. he is average at best. the better QBs make good plays more consistently..... Das is limited and thus we have had to devise an offense that doesn't put him in the focus, but this is a Zeke based offense....even with Cooper a Probowl WR and good OL play, Das had about 280 yards of passing which these days is slightly above NFL average......we scored 31 and he had 280 yards passing. don't get me wrong. I loved the win....but we are a run first offense. build around power running and Zeke and controlling the clock.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He’s just not good. He’s ok but without this defense and 21 this team is a top 3 draft pick.
exactly. this is a Zeke based offense. and his performances show that....even with a prowl WR his best day was an average day for top 10 NFL QBs.... Das is a bus driver and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as you know and can devise a plan for that....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And we won without having to put up gawdy numbers.
exactly....this is an offense based on running the ball, TOP and Zeke. in the past we didn't have a good defense, and now this year we do....the goal is to shorten the game, win TOP, keep the game close, limit the other teams, # of possessions.....we can't win a shoot out....this offense will struggle being down by two scores....as it did agains the titans.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't even think he's "unpopular".....you just have a certain bunch who can't let go of Romo and blame him for why Romo is gone.
and here we go with the Das Lovers brining up Romo. this has nothing to do with Romo. it has to do with Dak's average performance on the field. Das is a bus driver and there is nothing wrong with that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Dak leads the team to a victory against the Saints, and by leads we mean is a reason why the team wins instead of despite of, then he is legit. If dak can look like he did in 2016, now, then I'll be all happy, because it means that he has overcome the game planning that defensive coordinators have come up with against him.
everyone keeps bringing up the 2016 season.....he was below average then. he was 20th in the league in passing. he was a bus driver who was told not to make mistakes....that was an offense based on heavy running and based on Zeke, who had almost 2000 yards from scrimmage and a great OL. the team won 13 games. it wasn't because of what Das did. it was more because of what he didn't do, which was not make mistakes.