Is Dez Bryant a lock for the HOF?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He was a Cowboy for 10 years. How many years does it take? You've lost this argument Amigo, please realize it.

you just said he had a few good years. Lol YOUR words.

So now you make the HOF based on how many years you play? That’s new.

how about defending your stance by actually putting up his stats?

Scared?

Maybe nowadays, like real life, you get what you want because you cry the loudest?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you just said he had a few good years. Lol YOUR words.

So now you make the HOF based on how many years you play? That’s new.

how about defending your stance by actually putting up his stats?

Scared?
You must have mistaken what I said. I remember him as being a great receiver the whole time he was on the Cowboys. I loved the guy!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You must have mistaken what I said. I remember him as being a great receiver the whole time he was on the Cowboys. I loved the guy!
He was a great receiver. But HOF great? I don’t see it. I don’t see the consistent great numbers.

6 years of 3 tds or less. 2 1000 yard seasons and it was barely 1000.

62 receptions was his most in a season.

he was a great deep threat but I don’t see the HOF.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was a great receiver. But HOF great? I don’t see it. I don’t see the consistent great numbers.

and then again, I don’t like cry babies.
Were you a fan when he played? I doubt it if you are still questioning his elevation into the HoF.

erod

Reaction score
I think this angle is a bit overplayed. With as many circus catches Dez made off a DB's helmet or reaching back around him because the ball was thrown too low you would think people would give Dez his due. Close your eyes and think about all the times Romo hit Dez in stride on a beautiful deep ball or crossing route.. Chances are your memory will be quite limited with those. More often than not Romo was throwing it in Dez's zip code and counting on Dez to make a play. I think it is more accurate to say they helped each other look great.
Romo figured out quickly that Dez wasn't going to run by anyone after that first couple of years. However, Dez could really high point a football well, so Romo had the accuracy to throw those perfect back shoulders, which Dez excelled at.

However, without Romo, Dez was lost. Other quarterbacks didn't know what to do with him. Kitna was good early on when Dez had a modicum of speed, but when he lost that first step early, he was hard to use other than the back shoulders. He didn't read defenses so he couldn't play the slot, and he couldn't run by people. However, he was really competitive for the ball if you could put it in the right place, which Romo did.

When Romo was done, so was Dez.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I just read an article where Dez was saying that he is sure that he is a lock for the HOF because of all the TD's he has caught during his career.

"Nobody put up TD's the way I put up."

His numbers -- 7,506 career receiving yards and 77 total touchdowns -- aren't historically enough to lock him in ... but he is one of the freakiest players to ever play.

Dez tells us what he did in such a short time should be enough to get him in ... but he did admit he's probably not a first-ballot kind of guy at this point.

What you citizens think?
Dez will not make the RoH even. Just ask Jinster.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Romo figured out quickly that Dez wasn't going to run by anyone after that first couple of years. However, Dez could really high point a football well, so Romo had the accuracy to throw those perfect back shoulders, which Dez excelled at.

However, without Romo, Dez was lost. Other quarterbacks didn't know what to do with him. Kitna was good early on when Dez had a modicum of speed, but when he lost that first step early, he was hard to use other than the back shoulders. He didn't read defenses so he couldn't play the slot, and he couldn't run by people. However, he was really competitive for the ball if you could put it in the right place, which Romo did.

When Romo was done, so was Dez.

Sorry dude but this is absolutely off base.. Dez had 100 receiving yards in three of his first six games with Dak.. then the injuries started piling up.. When he got healthy (at playoff time) he had another 100 yard game with two TDs in the playoffs.. with Dak.. something that never happened with Romo.. Dez had 788 yards in the 11 full games he played Dak's rookie year (I excluded the season opener and the last game of the year when he played only a few snaps) .. 71.64 yards per game and 16 yards per catch. in 2014, his last year with Romo he averaged 82.5 a game and 15 yards per catch. So he was just as productive on a per attempt basis with Dak but Dak just would not try to fit the ball into tight spaces those first couple of years. Which obviously is not a bad thing but but I firmly believe that had Dez stayed healthy he would have gotten on the same page with Dak and he'd still be in Dallas and we would have been able to use that first round pick on defense and not trade it for Coop. Nothing against Cooper.. I love the guy but I think we'd have been okay with a healthy Dez and some beast we drafted on defense.. Injuries to Dez took Dez down.. Romo getting hurt really had little or nothing to do with it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Sorry dude but this is absolutely off base.. Dez had 100 receiving yards in three of his first six games with Dak.. then the injuries started piling up.. When he got healthy (at playoff time) he had another 100 yard game with two TDs in the playoffs.. with Dak.. something that never happened with Romo.. Dez had 788 yards in the 11 full games he played Dak's rookie year (I excluded the season opener and the last game of the year when he played only a few snaps) .. 71.64 yards per game and 16 yards per catch. in 2014, his last year with Romo he averaged 82.5 a game and 15 yards per catch. So he was just as productive on a per attempt basis with Dak but Dak just would not try to fit the ball into tight spaces those first couple of years. Which obviously is not a bad thing but but I firmly believe that had Dez stayed healthy he would have gotten on the same page with Dak and he'd still be in Dallas and we would have been able to use that first round pick on defense and not trade it for Coop. Nothing against Cooper.. I love the guy but I think we'd have been okay with a healthy Dez and some beast we drafted on defense.. Injuries to Dez took Dez down.. Romo getting hurt really had little or nothing to do with it.
Dez admitted several times that he wasn’t right mentally. That also had an impact on his production with Dak, Cassel and Moore.

JBond

Reaction score
Yeah, Dez is not close to HOF material.

If Dez wanted HOF consideration, he should've/would've stopped jogging his routes and learned his routes and then ran hard and utilized all his physical skills.
He literally took running plays off. Provided tells for the defense. He would just stand there playing with himself.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He literally took running plays off. Provided tells for the defense. He would just stand there playing with himself.

I don't know where you got this.. Dez was the best blocking WR we have had since Irvin. He took pride in it. Maybe he was gassed at times.. and didn't get off the line a time or two but it was not a regular occurrence that I can recall. But any player who went as hard as Dez did was going to have instances where the tank is empty. And sometimes you don't know it's empty until you hustle back to the huddle and realize as you break the huddle that your legs are telling you to go lie down.. but by that point you can't just tap your helmet and leave the game. Again I am not saying he didn't take plays off.. I just don't think they were many.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I don't know where you got this.. Dez was the best blocking WR we have had since Irvin. He took pride in it. Maybe he was gassed at times.. and didn't get off the line a time or two but it was not a regular occurrence that I can recall. But any player who went as hard as Dez did was going to have instances where the tank is empty. And sometimes you don't know it's empty until you hustle back to the huddle and realize as you break the huddle that your legs are telling you to go lie down.. but by that point you can't just tap your helmet and leave the game. Again I am not saying he didn't take plays off.. I just don't think they were many.

What do you mean, you can't "just tap your helmet and leave the game"? Zeke's been doing a lot of that!