Is Dez now Hakeem Nicks?

Everson24

Reaction score
I hope you're wrong as I'm sure you do as well. Dez looked to be in good form in pre-season. Physically I mean. But he was certainly shut down yesterday. It will be interesting to monitor this as it develops and he gets his next big chance against Josh Norman.
In the preseason we really only saw the sidline routes where the safety was playing a more honest centerfield. Now that the games count, can Dez beat double teams? That will tell the true story.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dez is a one trick pony. Throw it high let him out jump the Dbs. Until I see him used a different way, that's what it is.

Just think about how dumb the coaching is in Dallas. If it was any other team and you just spend 70 million for a top 5 receiver, wouldnt you make sure to involve him in the game plan? Get him the ball? How many years now have we seen Dez sit out wide on an island and get taken out of the game by putting a safety over the top? Put him in motion? Put him in the slot? Garrett has no business coaching in the NFL.

robbieruff

Reaction score
In the preseason we really only saw the sidline routes where the safety was playing a more honest centerfield. Now that the games count, can Dez beat double teams? That will tell the true story.
Yeah. And it will be interesting if Giants set a blueprint for defending us as Dak tries to get acclimated. Bracket Dez. Stack against the run. Single Witten and Cole and let us dink and dunk knowing that we will make a mistake that leads to field goals at worst.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah. And it will be interesting if Giants set a blueprint for defending us as Dak tries to get acclimated. Bracket Dez. Stack against the run. Single Witten and Cole and let us dink and dunk knowing that we will make a mistake that leads to field goals at worst.

The blue print is already set in stone. Very simple. Put a safety over the top on Dez and he is out of the game. Garrett wont move him around so he is done. Load the box and limit the run. They will give us over the middle one on one coverage with Witten and Beasley because those guys are pretty much catching the ball for 4-10 yards and then falling down. Cant get hurt two badly with those two.

Its pretty sad. In the preseason we saw all these great play calls. Reverses, creative sweeps, screen passes, accross the middle passes, ect.....ect............But get into a real game and Garrett clams up with the play calling and the game plan. Pathetic really.

Proof

Reaction score
Last season wasn't a big enough sample?

Last season was a lost cause and one in which he cam back too early and had terrible qb play.

Yesterday was against a D with a solid game plan and a coaching staff that clearly looked to keep things manageable and not really test. There's a reason he had 5 targets and Cole and witten split 25

We saw in preseason he's clearly still got it.

Obviously this stretch of games is troubling but Dez is still elite and will do elite things over the course of the year

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Tony would have got Dez the ball. The gameplan was such that Dak was to take whatever the defense gave and minimize mistakes.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Why can't we give Jenkins credit. He played decent against him in 2014 before Bryant's injury.
It took a play action pass from Romo to Bryant on an all out blitz for him to score a td.

Dez is dangerous when he has the ball. If he can't jump to catch a football anymore, the coaching staff needs to find other ways to get him the ball. He may not be a great route runner, but I think he can still catch a 5 yard slant and gain 20 yards out of it.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Don't laugh and hear me out for a second. Hakeem Nicks was a dominant receiver for the Giants before the Jones fracture in his foot. He never regained the explosiveness that made him the wide receiver he was between 2009-2011.

When Dez broke the same bone in his foot, I immediately thought of Nicks. It seems that Dez has now lost his ability to separate and maybe that is why the coaches now refuse to run him on any quick crossing routes. If this is the case we are in big trouble going forward as an offense and his salary cap hit will kill this team in the next few years.

were u by the giants board by any chance? they were the ones sayin dez is the new nicks

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Hard to separate from bracket coverage and poor game plans. What I saw was a game plan by the giants that dared the rook to beat them. Dallas game plan was to not make any mistakes and play conservatively.

Especially when they line you up in the same position over and over. The dropped TD Dez had came on the only play ( that I saw ) where he was lined up in the slot. He had a LB on him initially, than a Safety when he went up for the ball.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Why can't we give Jenkins credit. He played decent against him in 2014 before Bryant's injury.
It took a play action pass from Romo to Bryant on an all out blitz for him to score a td.

Dez is dangerous when he has the ball. If he can't jump to catch a football anymore, the coaching staff needs to find other ways to get him the ball. He may not be a great route runner, but I think he can still catch a 5 yard slant and gain 20 yards out of it.

So why not use motion, bunch formations, rub routes or something else to get your star free of the guy who is doing such a great job covering him? Or use a crossing route to shake him free of the safety help. Instead we line him up outside over and over and let them put a safety over the top so Jenkins can play underneath coverage.

It is the same crap scheme over and over with little to no adjustments.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
SMH...Dez has a bad game and people start this stuff.

He had several bad games last season returning from his injury. He was suppose to be fully recovered from that injury and his one catch for 8 yards was worse than any game he had last season. Not only that it was the least productive game of his entire career and he played all 4 quarters. The way he looked running routes yesterday was concerning. No matter who's covering him he can't gain any separation.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had several bad games last season returning from his injury. He was suppose to be fully recovered from that injury and his one catch for 8 yards was worse than any game he had last season. Not only that it was the least productive game of his entire career and he played all 4 quarters. The way he looked running routes yesterday was concerning.

He was injured last year and IIRC he even said he came back before he should have.

You guys can whine, moan or be "concerned" about one game this year if you want.

I don't think one game makes a career nor a season.

As I said earlier...this is the same kind of lame thinking that has had people wanting us to get rid of a pro bowl future HOF player like Witten over the last 5+ years and yet he just keeps plugging along.