Is Dez now Hakeem Nicks?

Ender

Reaction score
It's got to be more than just Romo being out right?

Look no further than DeAndre Hopkins who has been putting up massive numbers while facing double teams AND playing with the most motley cast of QBs in the league over the past couple of years.

Look no further than actual balls thrown his way, ridiculous comparison.

Ender

Reaction score
Seriously, this group of brainiacs don't remember or refuse to acknowledge Matt Cassel was the QB.

It's silly to be honest. The cowboys arent Superbowl contenders right now so the fans are doing what they do best, cry and complain, and save most of the vitriol to the player they perceive are the reason we arent superbowl contenders. If they could name a wideout that was productive at a probowl level with any QB we've had not named Romo in the last few years i may listen to their arguments.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If you rank the talent, impact on the game, and the money paid, Dez is not a top 20 WR in the NFL

Many of us were against paying him the money we stupidly paid him

Smh, you're so deluded.

Let me guess, you were saying this after he put up 1300+ yards, 88 rec. and 16 TDs in 2014?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Show where ball got intercepted because ball was thrown to him when he didn't have separation.

Where did I say it ever did? You're talking about routes where he can catch the ball on the run and they don't force him the ball in those situations or it could result in the defender jumping the route or a deflected ball up in the air that could lead to a pick. Hard to win a battle when a defender is on the receiver and they jump the route. Never said it's happened with Dez. Jump balls are different he can make a play on a non perfect throw and out leap any defender in the league. He wins or no one wins in that situation.

Last edited:

Zman5

Reaction score
Where did I say it ever did? You're talking about routes where he can catch the ball on the run and they don't force him the ball in those situations or it could result in the defender jumping the route or a deflected ball up in the air that could lead to a pick. Hard to win a battle when a defender is on the receiver and they jump the route. Never said it's happened with Dez because they don't throw him the ball when he's covered in those situations. Jump balls are different he can make a play on a non perfect throw and out leap any defender in the league. He wins or no one wins in that situation.

He still needs to be able to get open to catch a ball on the run. You can't force balls to him in those situations or they could result in a turnover. The Cowboys have tried different ways to get him the ball and the best way are comeback routes and jump balls where he can use his strength and leaping ability to out muscle the defender. The most talked about play he's been involved in the past 2 years was a play he didn't make in Green Bay. Even with Romo in there it was a lot of fades and jump balls to him. Most of his TD's are contested balls in the end zone.

If he continues not to produce the next couple of games the media will be wondering if his best days are gone. A lot of what we're discussing about him is going to be discussed by everyone if he doesn't start to produce on a consistent basis and soon. His star is falling and he needs a big game or the whispers that he's not the same player anymore will be coming from those who cover the game for a living.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zman5 can you not comprehend? Where did I say a ball to him got intercepted when he didn't have separation? :thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Show where ball got intercepted because ball was thrown to him when he didn't have separation.

Again, show me where I said a ball that was thrown to him got intercepted when he didn't have separation? I NEVER said that!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He was injured last year and IIRC he even said he came back before he should have.

You guys can whine, moan or be "concerned" about one game this year if you want.

I don't think one game makes a career nor a season.

As I said earlier...this is the same kind of lame thinking that has had people wanting us to get rid of a pro bowl future HOF player like Witten over the last 5+ years and yet he just keeps plugging along.
Witten is clearly not the same player he once was, so I don't think asking the same question about Dez is out of line.

Now do I think Dez is done as an elite WR?

NO, I do not....................I sincerely belive the problem with this team is Jason Garrett and as soon as this .500 coach is shown the door, then you will see a lot more creative game plans for Dez. That is assuming Dez's career is not nearly over by the time this happens like it apparently has with Romo.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Dez is not the problem his head coach is the problem. The system is terrible. "take what the defense gives you" allows teams to take Dez out of the game. It happens all the time.

Bull****. Garrett saying that they're "taking what the defense gives them" is him defending Bryant's lackluster play. Because despite the fact that it's 99% Dez's fault, Garrett knows that Bryant is very capable of going into full pout mode at the drop of a hat. And God knows, none of us need to see that.

Romo has made Dez. With nearly every other QB, he is average. One more piece of evidence that Romo may very well go down as the most underrated, under appreciated QB of all time.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It's silly to be honest. The cowboys arent Superbowl contenders right now so the fans are doing what they do best, cry and complain, and save most of the vitriol to the player they perceive are the reason we arent superbowl contenders. If they could name a wideout that was productive at a probowl level with any QB we've had not named Romo in the last few years i may listen to their arguments.
Antonio Brown has had Mike Vick and Landry throwing him balls, and his production never takes a hit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Bull****. Garrett saying that they're "taking what the defense gives them" is him defending Bryant's lackluster play. Because despite the fact that it's 99% Dez's fault, Garrett knows that Bryant is very capable of going into full pout mode at the drop of a hat. And God knows, none of us need to see that.

Romo has made Dez. With nearly every other QB, he is average. One more piece of evidence that Romo may very well go down as the most underrated, under appreciated QB of all time.

I have my issues with Dez no question, but in this instance Garrett and his defeated statement of "they wont let us" has happened over and over again. Even with Romo in there.

erod

Reaction score
I watched him at the game closely. He just gets no separation. He's the easiest cover on the field, and in the second half, he looks exhausted.

Other than the jump ball, it's hard to get it to him unless you just run hitches. And he doesn't understand the route tree adjustments that slot receivers have to know.

When Romo returns, he can change Dez' routes with hand signals. Dak isn't ready for that yet.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Don't laugh and hear me out for a second. Hakeem Nicks was a dominant receiver for the Giants before the Jones fracture in his foot. He never regained the explosiveness that made him the wide receiver he was between 2009-2011.

When Dez broke the same bone in his foot, I immediately thought of Nicks. It seems that Dez has now lost his ability to separate and maybe that is why the coaches now refuse to run him on any quick crossing routes. If this is the case we are in big trouble going forward as an offense and his salary cap hit will kill this team in the next few years.
I'm pretty sure these 2 have been seen in the same place at the same time, so no. Not a terrible theory just pretty far fetched

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I watched him at the game closely. He just gets no separation. He's the easiest cover on the field, and in the second half, he looks exhausted.

Other than the jump ball, it's hard to get it to him unless you just run hitches. And he doesn't understand the route tree adjustments that slot receivers have to know.

When Romo returns, he can change Dez' routes with hand signals. Dak isn't ready for that yet.

I absolutely agree that Dez runs average routes. But you gotta help out your guys. Pick plays, run accross the formation. How about a few WR screens with trips to one side? No creativity, nothing. We see teams run plays all accross the league we dont see in Dallas.

We do Screen plays to Witten, LOL

erod

Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Dez runs average routes. But you gotta help out your guys. Pick plays, run accross the formation. How about a few WR screens with trips to one side? No creativity, nothing. We see teams run plays all accross the league we dont see in Dallas.

We do Screen plays to Witten, LOL
I agree with that.

They gave Dak a reduced package his first game, and no doubt the Witten screens were safe play to buy punt yardage in 3rd and long.

I expect them to open up more with each week with Dak. I just hope he can watch Romo for several weeks and just learn.

Dak should pattern himself after Romo. He will be phenomenal one day if he can.