Is Fields still a lock at 2?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
He had 3 INTs vs Indiana and looks horrible today vs Northwestern. Started 9/21 with 2 picks.

I’d be very hesitant of drafting him high. And for those who use COVID of teammates being out as an excuse, he’s not going to go to a team full of playmakers if he’s drafted by Jets or Jags.

So if he’s like Dak and needs everything perfect for the first 2-3 years before he develops and can do more on his own, is that really a top 2 pick?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
After today I’d say he’s not a lock at all. He is going to need a heck of a bowl game to recover.

There is so much to like about fields, but he’s struggled against quality defenses this year.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He had 3 INTs vs Indiana and looks horrible today vs Northwestern. Started 9/21 with 2 picks.

I’d be very hesitant of drafting him high. And for those who use COVID of teammates being out as an excuse, he’s not going to go to a team full of playmakers if he’s drafted by Jets or Jags.

So if he’s like Dak and needs everything perfect for the first 2-3 years before he develops and can do more on his own, is that really a top 2 pick?

How many rookie QB’s don’t need a lot of help the first 2-3 years? Just about every single one. Even the best prospects do.

I don’t see how that consideration would lower his draft stock.

He may eventually get surpassed by Wilson. But that remains to be seen.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I can’t see JAX passing on him. He offers so much as a running threat that they figure they can work in his decision making.

conner01

Reaction score
I wouldn’t take him at the top of the first
I’ve never been real impressed but today was really bad

exciter

Reaction score

Was he ever?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The NFL is becoming such a forgiving passing league that raw athleticism can usually take over even if a guy lacks polish. Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson... none of those guys were finished products as passers coming into the league, but all have been productive. Every one of them would go top 3 in a redraft.

Fields is on that elite tier as an athlete and doesn't look terrible throwing the ball... I'd gladly wager a top 3 pick on him.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
He will dominate his workouts but yes, I do have doubts on him as a QB prospect. However, Jax will have some good offensive weapons for him to build around.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Would not surprise me if he actually falls out top 10. IF he's struggling reading college defenses and/or schemes, he has almost no chance as an NFL QB. Hell, most college QB's first read is wide open.....they rarely have to progress to their 2nd or 3rd read.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Good lord, overreact much? He will probably play Clemson in the NCAA playoffs so that game will tell us all we really need to know. It is hard to judge these guys off of the COVID-19 season. The tools are there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Would not surprise me if he actually falls out top 10. IF he's struggling reading college defenses and/or schemes, he has almost no chance as an NFL QB. Hell, most college QB's first read is wide open.....they rarely have to progress to their 2nd or 3rd read.

I thought Baker Mayfield was exposed against Oregon in the College Playoffs, needing to throw in tight windows, but the Browns decided to take him first overall. It's the body of work, not just 1-2 poor games.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This was my opinion when it was a popular opinion that he might be as good as Trevor Lawrence.

Now my opinion will probably get a little more mainstream.

Fields is just not very impressive imo.

I think he’s fine. I think he’d be a solid gamble.

I just don’t think I would be drafting him.

Zach Wilson I think is the #2 QB. I could change my mind between now and the draft but he has more skill than Fields and just makes incredible throws consistently.

Fields is a run the offense kind of QB.. Dak 2.0..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thought Baker Mayfield was exposed against Oregon in the College Playoffs, needing to throw in tight windows, but the Browns decided to take him first overall. It's the body of work, not just 1-2 poor games.

Baker Mayfield has struggled almost his entire NFL career and has just recently show a pulse the last 2 weeks.

When you play the Browns the goal is to stop those Runningbacks.. Baker is an afterthought.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He’s not a lock, but he is the current favorite.

as we have learned almost every year fir the 20, a LOT usually changes between December and draft day.lg

he certainly doesn’t look like a lock as 2nd overall though.
Never has

Sydla

Reaction score
Good lord, overreact much? He will probably play Clemson in the NCAA playoffs so that game will tell us all we really need to know. It is hard to judge these guys off of the COVID-19 season. The tools are there.

A lot of guys have "tools". Fields seems high reward but oodles of risk. You look at him and Lawrence and frankly there is no comparison IMO - Lawrence has tools as well but his bust factor seems way less than Fields.