Is football ready for Gay Player?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Equating an athlete coming out of the closet (not that there is anything wrong with that) to Jackie Robinson breaking the race barrier is ludicrous...

Mike 1967

Reaction score
fortdick said:
Interesting article from Fox. Is the time right to open the closet?

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5039510?GT1=7409

Who cares

Some players might prefer to wear womans undies when they go at it with thier lady behind closed doors.

But why would I need to know about it.

Although I personally might have an issue if I was a player in a locker room. Not sure I would feel comfortable taking a shower with Joe if I thought he had the potential of lusting after my package.

Perhaps they should have a "womans" dressing room and shower.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
The article by Mickey talked about the QB/Center exchange and about who made up the concept of having to put your hands under a guys rear. I couldn’t do it as a QB only shotgun for me. As for gays, i just don’t see them playing in the NFL.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Equating an athlete coming out of the closet (not that there is anything wrong with that) to Jackie Robinson breaking the race barrier is ludicrous...

It is more extreme -- JR couldn't hide the fact he was black. Gay folks can "play it straight". I'll say it right now I would respect a player who came out tremendously. I will say that there are a number of fans, players, and coaches who would make this person's life hell due to their own ignorance and insecurity.

50 years from now we'll look back and say "wow, we really used to not allow gay folks to get married?" that will sound as crazy as segregation does now.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Quick, someone ban me immediately before I post my opinion here. :D

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
The article by Mickey talked about the QB/Center exchange and about who made up the concept of having to put your hands under a guys rear. I couldn’t do it as a QB only shotgun for me. As for gays, i just don’t see them playing in the NFL.

If they are too stupid to be focused on anything but the play then they probably don't have the concentration necessary for playing at the pro level. Hetero doctors routinely examine naked women without getting excited -- I'm pretty sure a gay player could manage the same with a 300+ LB lineman ready to kill him.

I think you underestimate the number of gay men that likely already play in the NFL. You are letting the "sissy" stereotype get in the way of the fact that given national %s for the prevalence of male homosexuality, it would not be surprising to find at least 1 gay man on each NFL team.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
trickblue said:

Amen!!!

They continue to make this analogy in the media and it is totally ridiculous.

- Mike G.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I don't hear straight athletes talking about their sex lives on national TV or to the media (exception Vikings love boat, but they never volumteered that info), so why in the he11 would I want to know about a gay persons adventures or preference.....Keep it to themselves...just like everyone else and move on!

Mike 1967

Reaction score
abersonc said:
It is more extreme -- JR couldn't hide the fact he was black. Gay folks can "play it straight". I'll say it right now I would respect a player who came out tremendously. I will say that there are a number of fans, players, and coaches who would make this person's life hell due to their own ignorance and insecurity.

50 years from now we'll look back and say "wow, we really used to not allow gay folks to get married?" that will sound as crazy as segregation does now.

Some would (and do) make the same argument for sexual relations between an adult and child age 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9.......

50 years from now...I will feel the exact same way I do today. Regardless of how much propoganda is pumped in front of me.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think you underestimate the number of gay men that likely already play in the NFL. You are letting the "sissy" stereotype get in the way of the fact that given national %s for the prevalence of male homosexuality, it would not be surprising to find at least 1 gay man on each NFL team.

You are probably right. NFL probably does have a few undercover gays. But i think generally, they gravitate to fashion or anything female related. I know because i am forced to watch some of my gf shows on TLC.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
What's the big deal?

The Commanders have lots of gay players and no one gives them a hard time.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I don't hear straight athletes talking about their sex lives on national TV or to the media (exception Vikings love boat, but they never volumteered that info), so why in the he11 would I want to know about a gay persons adventures or preference.....Keep it to themselves...just like everyone else and move on!
I hope I'm dead before our society condones homosexuality, or accepts it as normal.

But it probably will happen someday.

I mean, having a child out of wedlock used to be frowned upon.
It was an embarassment to the family.
It broke fathers' hearts.

It used to be socially frowned upon to cheat on your spouse, ... now it is winked at.

People are so confused.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It will be a great day in sports, in all of America, when that male pioneer steps forward the way Robinson did more than 58 years ago, the way Swoopes did last week

Why will it be a great day in sports and all America?

Nothing against Gays, but if they are gay I have no problem with it, just don't force down my throat that I have to accept them for being gay. I could care less about someone's sexual orientation. why do gay people think it is so important that everyone in the world know that they are gay and that everyone in the world gives them their blessings?

If they want to marry each other, go do it, but don't demand that the laws be changed specifically because they are gay and want to marry.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
IMO, the question here becomes one of acceptance by the fan base. There are gay players in the NFL already. That's a given to me.

Lets say the door is opened. Lets also say that a team manages to have two or three players that come out. It would stand to reason, at least to me, that a gay community might want to support said team a bit more. Would that mean that all of a sudden, the traditional fan (we'll call them) would be sitting side by side with Gay fans at the local sports bars? If so, would they accept each other? The problem would be fans and how the NFL views there acceptance IMO.

fortdick

Reaction score
So I guess the answer to the question is no!

From a fan's perspective, say the Commanders had a player come out. Would you ever day anything bad about him on this message board?