Is great coaching an option with Cowboys?

ShortRound

Reaction score
I can’t see it with Jerry alive. I don’t see him giving full control to any coach. Hope I’m wrong.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t think Jerry is going to hire a great coach who already has his skins on the wall but I could see him hiring a dc or OC who turns out to be great. Remember at one point in time Belicheck was just a DC.
Yea but he was a SB champion DC.

CB61

Reaction score
Look, I have never been given the impression Jerry doesn't want to win. He might be bad at it, but not that he doesn't care about winning. There are plenty of owners that make it perfectly clear they are in it for the business it provides. That they are not doing anything or spending anything more than it takes to field a team. Jerry is not one of those people. He's just a really bad George Steinbrenner.
Yes I don't think he cares that he doesn't win it just seems to his business part of it is more important and the image and making sure the Cowboys stay relevant in the media and you may have a point there he's just bad at it real bad at it! But Steinbrenner won some titles Jerry hasn't with the exception of Jimmie Johnson era and everybody includes Barry Switzer in that but that pretty much was a Jimmy Johnson built Dynasty hell we should have won four in a row the lack of discipline really started showing up in the NFC Championship Game we lost that could have taken us to the 4th Super Bowl in a row

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here’s what I’d do.

I’d hire Aikman VP, fire Stephen
I’d promote Garrett GM, Fire Jerry

Let them hire a HC

The great ones would line up with the Jone$ clan out of the way.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t think Jerry is going to hire a great coach who already has his skins on the wall but I could see him hiring a dc or OC who turns out to be great. Remember at one point in time Belicheck was just a DC.

That's exactly what I hope he doesn't do. It's just rolling the dice.

cml750

Reaction score
True but can he have the influence over Jerry on football decisions Mon- Sat which I believe has been Jason’s greatest asset.

I see us as having in Garrett a Walk Around asst GM but not a Game Day strategist.

We are dependent on Sunday’s on our talent.
Best case scenario would be Jerry moving Garrett off the sideline and into the front office in some capacity. I am not sure I give Garrett as much credit as you for the roster but it did happen on his watch. I think we can both agree Garrett brings absolutely nothing to the table on Sundays. He is easily one of the worst game time coaches in the history of the sport.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Best case scenario would be Jerry moving Garrett off the sideline and into the front office in some capacity. I am not sure I give Garrett as much credit as you for the roster but it did happen on his watch. I think we can both agree Garrett brings absolutely nothing to the table on Sundays. He is easily one of the worst game time coaches in the history of the sport.
I’m not sure how we’d measure “ worst game time coaches in the history of the sport “ beyond won/ loss record? Otherwise it’d be nothing more than a speculative assessment .

But I would agree Game Day is not one of his strengths or assets he brings to our franchise.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Yea but he was a SB champion DC.

So what still a dc. Jerry could hire a coordinator off a SB winner still wouldn’t be a big name with HC skins on the wall. I could name several SB winning coordinators who weren’t very good HCs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So what still a dc. Jerry could hire a coordinator off a SB winner still wouldn’t be a big name with HC skins on the wall. I could name several SB winning coordinators who weren’t very good HCs.
Yes but the point was would they be interested in coming here assuming Jerry wound pursue such a prospect ?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Yes but the point was would they be interested in coming here assuming Jerry wound pursue such a prospect ?
There is only so many HC jobs in the NFL coordinators are going to jump at offers. I bet if you asked all 64 coordinators in the league every one of them would say they could and would work with Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is only so many HC jobs in the NFL coordinators are going to jump at offers. I bet if you asked all 64 coordinators in the league every one of them would say they could and would work with Jerry.
In not talking about all of them just the most sought after.