Is it fair to say we lost the Switzer/Ward trade?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Almost EVERYONE here questioned why we drafted Switzer. Seemed like a wasted pick, and it was.
Nah some of us know the playmaker that Switzer can be. Dangerous in both kicks and punt returns with a skill to catch what is thrown to him. But we didn't use Switzer and that's why some think he was a wasted pick. Seems like Pittsburgh might get him involved in the passing game and then folks will see they shouldn't have traded him

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He was supposed to be a Dunbar/Beasley chimera. Apparently not.
That's not Switzer. While he was a running back at one time they tried to have him be a different type player. Switzer actually fits the mold of receiver that Dallas is getting for Dak. Problem is Dallas didn't use him correctly, kind of like how folks said the Rams didn't use Austin correctly

CWR

Reaction score
Nah some of us know the playmaker that Switzer can be. Dangerous in both kicks and punt returns with a skill to catch what is thrown to him. But we didn't use Switzer and that's why some think he was a wasted pick. Seems like Pittsburgh might get him involved in the passing game and then folks will see they shouldn't have traded him

Yeah I doubt it, behind Antonio Brown, Juju, Washington and Bell??

CWR

Reaction score
Plenty of attention on those guys exactly why he will get more chances

I dont hate Switzer. Im simply looking at the fact hes on his third team already and hasnt made an impression. I doubt he does in Pitt either, not as the 5th option.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Isn't Switzer only on the roster in Pittsburgh because Eli Rogers got hurt? Yawn.

Reactions: CWR

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I'm rarely critical of the front office.

I do feel it's a good move if you exchange one player who probably would not have made the 53 for someone who would have. And it's good to just be objective enough to say so.

20/20, yes, we quite possibly lost this one, but the jury is still out until the Raiders make their future pick.

Is it a big deal? Probably not.

But that doesn't mean it's not worth acknowledging we may have done better. We, at least, may have ended up with the Steelers' pick (that the Raiders received) ourselves.

I see what you're saying, but I think it's still hindsight.

What if Switzer becomes a stud? What if Ward does? What if the draft pick becomes a diamond in the rough? What if he doesn't? What if the Steelers didn't care about such a trade when it was made during the draft? What if a Steelers pick worked out different and they didn't want such a trade now, in late August?

So I'd agree that this may be an interesting thought experiment now, sure. We're fans and we have the right to play those games. But I cant fault the FO for trading a player of redundancy for a player of redundancy at a weak position.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I dont hate Switzer. Im simply looking at the fact hes on his third team already and hasnt made an impression. I doubt he does in Pitt either, not as the 5th option.
He never got the chance in Oakland although he caught a TD and another TD was over turned on a penalty. Can't make an impression if you aren't used. And yes Pittsburgh throws the ball a ton so they will go 4 wide and he will get chances because the attention of the other guys.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Almost EVERYONE here questioned why we drafted Switzer. Seemed like a wasted pick, and it was.

Another Will and Jerry success story baby,...................

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Replying to the sentiment of more than one reply above...

All we KNOW is that THIS deal ended up with us cutting the guy we dealt for, and the other team at least having a future asset still yet.

To assume that we only had two options... keeping Switzer or trading him for Ward... may or may not be accurate.

Now... to be totally fair, yes, it might be better to say that until the Raiders make a pick with that 5th rounder they got from PIT, we still haven't necessarily lost the trade. So, given further thought, okay, I spoke too soon.

They did not really get a draft pick for Switzer.

They just swapped their 6th for the Steeler's 5th.

If the 2019 draft is identical to the 2018 draft then:
Raiders give up: #185 overall
Raiders receive: #202 overall

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Lol but dallas will use austin correctly the hype is legit lmao

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
The moment Switzer lost us the Rams game and then refused to take responsibility and he called himself a great player who would continue to fumble the ball and not feel bad about it was the time I was out!

CWR

Reaction score
He never got the chance in Oakland although he caught a TD and another TD was over turned on a penalty. Can't make an impression if you aren't used. And yes Pittsburgh throws the ball a ton so they will go 4 wide and he will get chances because the attention of the other guys.

So that makes two teams he never got a chance with. Oakland isnt all that deep at WR. At some point do you not begin to question why he isn't getting the opportunities you believe he deserves?

As far as Pitt goes hes now hanging his hat on 4 wr sets for consistent production. How many fifth options do you know of that actually had decent production?

We can agree to disagree and I respect your opinion I just dont see it happening for Switzer. If he was as good as the hype I dont think he'd be on his third team in two years. Time will tell.

I blame our coaches for plenty but based on Switzers short stent with the Raiders its starting to look like our scouts are the ones that made the mistake. Realize also that the Raiders got rid of him after they put thier slot guy on IR. Its not as if they didnt need him.

The Natural

Reaction score
Every receiver would look like a wasted pick if all we did was use them on fake jet sweeps. Chalk the wasted pick up to Garrett and his unimaginative coaching staff.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Look at it this way: The Cowboys "won" the Connor Cook trade by losing out. They also "won" the Paxton Lynch trade by losing out. Sometimes you win by losing.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lol. Is that right? Because I remember how brilliant the pick was and what a secret weapon the little guy would be.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

Behind brown, juju, bell and james Washington?