Is it fair to say we lost the Switzer/Ward trade?

_sturt_

Reaction score
I see what you're saying, but I think it's still hindsight.

What if Switzer becomes a stud? What if Ward does? What if the draft pick becomes a diamond in the rough? What if he doesn't? What if the Steelers didn't care about such a trade when it was made during the draft? What if a Steelers pick worked out different and they didn't want such a trade now, in late August?

So I'd agree that this may be an interesting thought experiment now, sure. We're fans and we have the right to play those games. But I cant fault the FO for trading a player of redundancy for a player of redundancy at a weak position.

Not faulting in any significant way, but objectively, you want to win every trade, even the small ones.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So that makes two teams he never got a chance with. Oakland isnt all that deep at WR. At some point do you not begin to question why he isn't getting the opportunities you believe he deserves?

As far as Pitt goes hes now hanging his hat on 4 wr sets for consistent production. How many fifth options do you know of that actually had decent production?

We can agree to disagree and I respect your opinion I just dont see it happening for Switzer. If he was as good as the hype I dont think he'd be on his third team in two years. Time will tell.

I blame our coaches for plenty but based on Switzers short stent with the Raiders its starting to look like our scouts are the ones that made the mistake. Realize also that the Raiders got rid of him after they put thier slot guy on IR. Its not as if they didnt need him.
He isn't getting cut from teams. Teams are trading for him.

Dallas wasn't looking to trade him, Oakland called because they wanted him. Played in season and caught 2 TDs with one being over turned on a penalty. Pittsburgh called Oakland and wanted Switzer so they accepted and used that to get McCarron.

If he wasn't any good and terrible then teams wouldn't be calling to trade for him. Much different then a team cutting him or shopping him around which neither Dallas or Oakland did

GenoT

Reaction score
Nope.

Since neither guy was gonna play here in 2018, that trade was pretty much a wash.

Ward couldn’t crack our D-line rotation and we can’t waste a roster spot on a 3rd-string slot receiver who fields punts on one hop.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Nope.

Since neither guy was gonna play here in 2018, that trade was pretty much a wash.

Ward couldn’t crack our D-line rotation and we can’t waste a roster spot on a 3rd-string slot receiver who fields punts on one hop.

(5th time on this reply, so after this, no more.)

If our only choices were to keep Switzer or trade him to the Raiders for Ward, you're right.

As it turns out, we know that there was at least one other choice, and more than likely, multiple other choices.

So, no, hindsight 20/20 and all that... we know now we at least should have waited for the Steelers to offer us something.

Not a big deal in the big picture more than likely, but then, no harm in keeping score either.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Lol. Is that right? Because I remember how brilliant the pick was and what a secret weapon the little guy would be.

Lol, yes and no. The immediate reaction in the draft day thread was full of ***’s.

The super secret sauce, infinite punt return TD’s, shifty short white guy bookends stuff came later that day.

Reactions: CWR

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ward would still be on the team if they played with no pads. Switzer will be bounced around like Brice butler. Had butler kept his mouth shut he would be starting for us this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The trade was win-win for both sides.

Not sure why that has been so hard to understand.

DAL decided to upgrade over Switzer in the return game and decided he simply wasn't a WR.
So they traded him for a DT they had previously coveted whom was playing poorly in OAK as a returner form injury.
In OAK he lost that gig and was traded as he would have been cut.
DAL also cut the guy they traded for.

Neither team got much beyond a camp body.
OAK was able to flip picks and get about 20-30 slots of movement in late draft for Switzer which is essentially a giveaway in the Supp pick era.
At the end of the day both teams were able to get fresh looks at guys the other team had written off.

DAL has Tavon Austin on the team as the small explosive player they had hoped for with Switzer.

Believe me this team has shown 100000000 times if they feel a young guys can measure up to an older guy they will keep the younger.
If they felt Switzer could reach 80% of Beasley's status as a WR he would be here now and they'd have cut Beasley.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Why do we feel the need to proclaim winning or losing on a trade of two players that werent' going to make their original rosters? We swapped two nobodies and neither one remains on either team, I don't see an issue. Now if we had traded a pick then I could see being upset but in reality,we traded a crap player for another crap player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And the 6th rounder we gave up for Austin became G Jamil Demby, who evidently has made their 53-man... so, chalk up an Incomplete on that one.
100%. Another dumb draft pick where they take an offensive guy with no plan and blow it.

CWR

Reaction score
He isn't getting cut from teams. Teams are trading for him.

Dallas wasn't looking to trade him, Oakland called because they wanted him. Played in season and caught 2 TDs with one being over turned on a penalty. Pittsburgh called Oakland and wanted Switzer so they accepted and used that to get McCarron.

If he wasn't any good and terrible then teams wouldn't be calling to trade for him. Much different then a team cutting him or shopping him around which neither Dallas or Oakland did

Yet if the teams that had him actually valued him they wouldn't trade him for peanuts.

Time will tell buddy. Thats pretty much all I got lol.

GenoT

Reaction score
(5th time on this reply, so after this, no more.)

If our only choices were to keep Switzer or trade him to the Raiders for Ward, you're right.

As it turns out, we know that there was at least one other choice, and more than likely, multiple other choices.

So, no, hindsight 20/20 and all that... we know now we at least should have waited for the Steelers to offer us something.

Not a big deal in the big picture more than likely, but then, no harm in keeping score either.
With 20/20 hindsight being the province of those who require two attempts to make one correct decision.

kskboys

Reaction score
Amazing how anyone can call trading someone who wasn't going to make your roster away for a possible contributor is a mistake. Pretty dummm.

cern

Reaction score
New wr coach sanjay Lal determined switzer has limited abilities as a wr. On the surface, the trade made sense. Bottom line is we're better off now at wr and dt without either player.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yet if the teams that had him actually valued him they wouldn't trade him for peanuts.

Time will tell buddy. Thats pretty much all I got lol.
Would you trade a 4th receiver for a backup QB? What about in a deep receiver group for a DT which is one of the weakness on the team?

CWR

Reaction score
Would you trade a 4th receiver for a backup QB? What about in a deep receiver group for a DT which is one of the weakness on the team?

Sure, depends on the player. Obviously there are two sides to it.