Is it Incompetence, Arrogance, Pride, etc

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Sad part is roster construction from the GM has actually been pretty good overall. It feel like the culture piece that is the biggest issue, which is probably more the Owner aspect of Jerrys doing, also the ego piece of constantly being involved in the football operations piece. Coaching, GM, Ownership are different roles for a reason.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I didn't get involved in the poll about "How angry am I?" It just seem insufficient.

I am NOT angry. Been a fan since 1966. Seen some greatness in my time. I'm not angry. I'm somewhere full of hate for the owner/GM and totally ready to wash my hands of his toy.

Not mad a Dak, Zeke, any of them . . . not mad. Jerrah has put them all there! He's a POS snake oil salesman and I have bought his product for the last 25 years. I think I'm done! I'm ashamed of my gullibleness.

Bad thing is I'm almost 70 and I know I'll never see Cowboy greatness again. Stephen is Jerrah II and incapable of making sound professional team football decisions.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It's a combination of all three.

The incompetence leads to bad draft picks and trades
The arrogance causes the inability to actually look at your incompetence and admit you don't know what the hell you are doing
The pride then causes you to double down on bad bets and overpay in hopes that you will be proven right and everyone else wrong

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This......

250px-The_Beverly_Hillbillies.jpg

Under the influence of this....

61ZM-ZvQerL._AC_SX522_.jpg

end result....we are now the lions and Browns

fivetwos

Reaction score
Is it Incompetence, Arrogance, Pride, etc... or all of the above that factors into the decisions that our GM has made for 26+ years now?
Yes....and then tells us what an advantage it is that he can come back for more.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think he got a lot of things right. But I think this organization is paying for past sins he's committed. Past football sins. He's ran this organization like a toy and they are paying for it 26 years later and will probably pay for it years later.....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a combination of all three.

The incompetence leads to bad draft picks and trades
The arrogance causes the inability to actually look at your incompetence and admit you don't know what the hell you are doing
The pride then causes you to double down on bad bets and overpay in hopes that you will be proven right and everyone else wrong

What did we give up for Cooper and for what....... really now????
How about that Taco selection....T.J. that Star would have looked really nice on your helmet.
Go out get Brady or Stafford for half the price instead of giving inepto 160 million....
GM Jerry sucking it up daily!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is it Incompetence, Arrogance, Pride, etc... or all of the above that factors into the decisions that our GM has made for 26+ years now?
all of the above.

we were a finesse soft team all year. in the end played a tough nosed team. got punched and we rolled over. they refused to acknowledge their problems hiding under the we beat the craap out of Philly and Washington at the end of the season. we didn't change and continued to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. Moore and MM are to blame for that. then the players, talking themselves up, giving themselves a pat in the back. they never played with confidence against SF and seemed like they hoped for a miracle. I didn't see a sense of urgency in their play...for example why didn't we go to hurry up offense against SF at least for a couple of series. we never pressured their defense. this was a total failure from top to bottom of the organization.....Jerry, Moore, MM, Quinn, Diggs, Gregory, Dak, Cooper, CD....all of them.

Aven8

Reaction score
Sad part is roster construction from the GM has actually been pretty good overall. It feel like the culture piece that is the biggest issue, which is probably more the Owner aspect of Jerrys doing, also the ego piece of constantly being involved in the football operations piece. Coaching, GM, Ownership are different roles for a reason.

As @Reality said the other day in his piece, Jerry is always selling something. He uses the team to always sell. Promotion of players, jerseys sells, putting them all bill boards etc. It truly is a business. He’s successful at it too. Only problem is, football on the field isn’t the #1 priority no matter how he spins it.

Zeke plays because Dak and Zeke are a marketing gem. They came in together and it sells.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’m with you on the frustration

But what decisions lately were so clearly wrong?

The draft with Parsons, Diggs, Lamb etc
Dan Quinn as DC?
MM maybe?
Moore as OC?
Dak signing?
Kearse in FA
Will Clay extend?

Most were decisions that were considered bad by most GMs

Not saying we have to like them all, but just saying

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I used to wonder "Why would Jerry wanting to be the spokesman for the Cowboys be such a bad thing"?
I mean, "Why can't a coach simply accept that"?

And the answer is really in the dynamics of an Alpha male/Alpha coach.
Some men - Alpha men - simply MUST have total control. And without that total control, things just don't run properly or they can't get their program established and continued.
Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells are Alpha males. So is Jerry Jones, by virtue of his wealth.
If you remember, the two things that set Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells off and led them towards their ultimate departure were challenges to their authority.

Jimmy wanted the locker room to be a sacred place, where football was the focus, where he could be the coach addressing his team. When Jerry Jones brought a Saudi prince into the locker room to meet the players after a game, that ticked Jimmy off because Jimmy wanted a serious tone, but Jerry wanted to show his PRIZED team. That marked the beginning of the end because Jimmy felt he lost control.

In Parcells' case, he did not want Terrell Owens on the team. But Jerry did. And Jerry overruled Parcells and brought in "The Players." You can debate whether that the right move, but it undermine what Parcells was trying to establish and undermine his authority with his team, thus hastening his exit.

I've read somewhere that part of the problem with the Cowboys is that players know Jerry runs the show and can go over the coach's head to appeal to Jerry.
And then Jerry makes comments about players, about team strategy, about the draft, etc. That directly undermines the coach, and Jerry doesn't realize this because HE BOUGHT THE TEAM SO HE CAN DO AND SAY WHATEVER HE WANTS!
And for an Alpha male coach, that's simply unacceptable.

As long as that set up is there, we're likely not going to get a coach who can right this ship.
We'll get coaches who either aren't Alphas or who subordinate their alpha tendencies to THE ALPHA DOG - Jerry Jones, who knows all about business but little about football strategy.

That's my take.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
What did we give up for Cooper and for what....... really now????
How about that Taco selection....T.J. that Star would have looked really nice on your helmet.
Go out get Brady or Stafford for half the price instead of giving inepto 160 million....
GM Jerry sucking it up daily!

Cooper was a byproduct of the idea that Dak was good enough to make Cole Beasley a WR1 after they got rid of Dez and he needed to do damage control by surrendering a #1 pick for Cooper

Taco over TJ was directly related to the decision to keep Marinelli and actually listen to the guy

Dak getting 160 million was pure fandom combines with arrogance in announcing that he was the equal of Mahomes, Rodgers and Brady. I don't know what sane person would not look at his failure with the Cole Beasley experiment and not pause to think if this was a good idea.