Is it Incompetence, Arrogance, Pride, etc

75boyz

Reaction score
When the person who owns and supposedly is General Manager of a team clings to a philosophy that 500 coaches could coach HIS team to victory because of the talent HE surrounds said coach with, THIS is what ya get.

So all your descriptive terms are true but to include ego that goes hand in hand with pride, but ALSO insecurity.

He has never recovered from not being given the FULL credit for those successful 1990s years and his desperation to truly be recognized as a "football guy" is the proverbial straw stirring this very watered down drink for the past 2 and a half decades.

This big picture stuff is the internal core and modus operandi of the entire franchise because of who runs it and his own personal innsecurities.

More simply, If Jerry can't get FULL credit for the success of the team then you get what we've been watching for so long. And I don't think it will change too much even with his offspring.

jmo

fansince68

Reaction score
What did we give up for Cooper and for what....... really now????
How about that Taco selection....T.J. that Star would have looked really nice on your helmet.
Go out get Brady or Stafford for half the price instead of giving inepto 160 million....
GM Jerry sucking it up daily!
How about NOT investing in a true DT in the draft nor free agency? Especially after the butt kicking we got at the hands of the Rams in the playoffs a few years ago.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I’m with you on the frustration

But what decisions lately were so clearly wrong?

The draft with Parsons, Diggs, Lamb etc
Dan Quinn as DC?
MM maybe?
Moore as OC?
Dak signing?
Kearse in FA
Will Clay extend?

Most were decisions that were considered bad by most GMs

Not saying we have to like them all, but just saying

Moore as OC I would say was a blunder. Dak isn't a gun slinger and isn't a pocket QB. We retain a guy from a failed coaching staff who doesn't know how to use what he has.

MM's hire honestly didn't know what to think. I certainly didn't like it that he was hired because he spent a night at the Jones-mahal and they hit it off - like who hires a person for a job because of that?

exciter

Reaction score
I’m with you on the frustration

But what decisions lately were so clearly wrong?

The draft with Parsons, Diggs, Lamb etc
Dan Quinn as DC?
MM maybe?
Moore as OC?
Dak signing?
Kearse in FA
Will Clay extend?

Most were decisions that were considered bad by most GMs

Not saying we have to like them all, but just saying

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but knowing Zeke had a torn PCL and not dropping a draft pick on lead back before the trade deadline if you didn’t feel Pollard could do so was a mighty dumb decision!

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
Stop buying Dallas gear...Last item I bought was in 2009 and it was a hat. I don't feel as bad since I don't have a financial investment in the team. He won't hire an alpha coach because his ego couldn't stand another Jimmy Johnson scenario where he doesn't get the credit. We will be having this same convo next year, either after a first round loss or after a 6-11 season where we pick between 11-13...

lk8701

Reaction score
Sad part is roster construction from the GM has actually been pretty good overall. It feel like the culture piece that is the biggest issue, which is probably more the Owner aspect of Jerrys doing, also the ego piece of constantly being involved in the football operations piece. Coaching, GM, Ownership are different roles for a reason.

Will McClay is the only competent person in the Cowboys FO. He should have full control including coaching hires.

stiletto

Reaction score
Rich Guy Cluelessness....

When you are rich as Jerry no one tells you "No" and that you are "Stupid". Even your own kids because THEY KNOW you will eventually die. Why risk being cut out of the will?? I wouldn't either!!!

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I didn't get involved in the poll about "How angry am I?" It just seem insufficient.

I am NOT angry. Been a fan since 1966. Seen some greatness in my time. I'm not angry. I'm somewhere full of hate for the owner/GM and totally ready to wash my hands of his toy.

Not mad a Dak, Zeke, any of them . . . not mad. Jerrah has put them all there! He's a POS snake oil salesman and I have bought his product for the last 25 years. I think I'm done! I'm ashamed of my gullibleness.

Bad thing is I'm almost 70 and I know I'll never see Cowboy greatness again. Stephen is Jerrah II and incapable of making sound professional team football decisions.
:hammer:......With Stephen giving his stamp of approval of this undisciplined mess...I'm afraid things are really going to domino into a horrific disaster after the coordinators leave...and McCarthy tries to piece this back together. We all saw how well Mike Nolan worked out.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Is it Incompetence, Arrogance, Pride, etc... or all of the above that factors into the decisions that our GM has made for 26+ years now?

yes, and you can add stubborn, egocentric, narcissistic, ignorant and stupid ....i am sure i left some others out as well.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
[QUOTE="thunderpimp91, post: 11670817, member: 32538"]Sad part is roster construction from the GM has actually been pretty good overall. It feel like the culture piece that is the biggest issue, which is probably more the Owner aspect of Jerrys doing, also the ego piece of constantly being involved in the football operations piece. Coaching, GM, Ownership are different roles for a reason.[/QUOTE]
Was that the GM or McCray...

Wanna know how Jethro builds a roster take a look at the drafts between Jimmy and Bill.

The one thing that Jerry wants more than anything, that his money cant buy is to be considered a "football guy"

He will never be considered that, he's made the once most envied franchise into a laughing stock and now even that fans are mocked...way to go Jerry.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
all of the above.

we were a finesse soft team all year. in the end played a tough nosed team. got punched and we rolled over. they refused to acknowledge their problems hiding under the we beat the craap out of Philly and Washington at the end of the season. we didn't change and continued to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. Moore and MM are to blame for that. then the players, talking themselves up, giving themselves a pat in the back. they never played with confidence against SF and seemed like they hoped for a miracle. I didn't see a sense of urgency in their play...for example why didn't we go to hurry up offense against SF at least for a couple of series. we never pressured their defense. this was a total failure from top to bottom of the organization.....Jerry, Moore, MM, Quinn, Diggs, Gregory, Dak, Cooper, CD....all of them.
Yup, the game was lost before we even got on the field.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What did we give up for Cooper and for what....... really now????
How about that Taco selection....T.J. that Star would have looked really nice on your helmet.
Go out get Brady or Stafford for half the price instead of giving inepto 160 million....
GM Jerry sucking it up daily!
It is delusional to think that even the GOAT Brady could win a championship here. This is a completely broken culture that has been coddled and breathed over around the clock by the biggest fool money can buy. You can’t win squat in an excuse-laden, unaccountable culture like this.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If so, fire all the coaches then.
Name a coach…any coach in NFL history that Jerry would hire that could win here. I honest to god can’t think of any self respecting NFL coach that Jerry would allow to coach his baby that could put up with and overcome an owner who insists on going over game plans, picking assistant coaches for his HC, letting players off the discipline hook. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

From now on, any fan saying “fire all the current coaches” must follow that up with what quality NFL coach would be hired next by the NFL’s most interfering and insecure owner. Because I can think of no coach right now- in the college or pro ranks that would put up with this dysfunctional circus and pretend it could work.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
It is delusional to think that even the GOAT Brady could win a championship here. This is a completely broken culture that has been coddled and breathed over around the clock by the biggest fool money can buy. You can’t win squat in an excuse-laden, unaccountable culture like this.
Never seen you so riled up. ; )