Is it Incompetence, Arrogance, Pride, etc

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Name a coach…any coach in NFL history that Jerry would hire that could win here. I honest to god can’t think of any self respecting NFL coach that Jerry would allow to coach his baby that could put up with and overcome an owner who insists on going over game plans, picking assistant coaches for his HC, letting players off the discipline hook. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

From now on, any fan saying “fire all the current coaches” must follow that up with what quality NFL coach would be hired next by the NFL’s most interfering and insecure owner. Because I can think of no coach right now- in the college or pro ranks that would put up with this dysfunctional circus and pretend it could work.

Indeed, Bob. Nothing will change until JJ dies (and even then, the Jones family may not alter the culture all that much). So it may be time to move on...from football, or from the Cowboys. Let's end the suffering.

Stockholm syndrome is a psychological response. It occurs when hostages or abuse victims bond with their captors or abusers. This psychological connection develops over the course of the days, weeks, months, or even years of captivity or abuse.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I’m not mad brother. I’m actually just fed up. And I feel genuinely bad for all the good Cowboys fans who have given their heart, soul, and hard earned money to this ego-maniac who holds our favorite team hostage to his ego.

Maybe I am riled up…:grin:
I think your riledly fed up ;)

Cmac

Reaction score
It's a combination of all three.

The incompetence leads to bad draft picks and trades
The arrogance causes the inability to actually look at your incompetence and admit you don't know what the hell you are doing
The pride then causes you to double down on bad bets and overpay in hopes that you will be proven right and everyone else wrong
No offense to anyone.......but we got all those attributes on this board too.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I used to wonder "Why would Jerry wanting to be the spokesman for the Cowboys be such a bad thing"?
I mean, "Why can't a coach simply accept that"?

And the answer is really in the dynamics of an Alpha male/Alpha coach.
Some men - Alpha men - simply MUST have total control. And without that total control, things just don't run properly or they can't get their program established and continued.
Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells are Alpha males. So is Jerry Jones, by virtue of his wealth.
If you remember, the two things that set Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells off and led them towards their ultimate departure were challenges to their authority.

Jimmy wanted the locker room to be a sacred place, where football was the focus, where he could be the coach addressing his team. When Jerry Jones brought a Saudi prince into the locker room to meet the players after a game, that ticked Jimmy off because Jimmy wanted a serious tone, but Jerry wanted to show his PRIZED team. That marked the beginning of the end because Jimmy felt he lost control.

In Parcells' case, he did not want Terrell Owens on the team. But Jerry did. And Jerry overruled Parcells and brought in "The Players." You can debate whether that the right move, but it undermine what Parcells was trying to establish and undermine his authority with his team, thus hastening his exit.

I've read somewhere that part of the problem with the Cowboys is that players know Jerry runs the show and can go over the coach's head to appeal to Jerry.
And then Jerry makes comments about players, about team strategy, about the draft, etc. That directly undermines the coach, and Jerry doesn't realize this because HE BOUGHT THE TEAM SO HE CAN DO AND SAY WHATEVER HE WANTS!
And for an Alpha male coach, that's simply unacceptable.

As long as that set up is there, we're likely not going to get a coach who can right this ship.
We'll get coaches who either aren't Alphas or who subordinate their alpha tendencies to THE ALPHA DOG - Jerry Jones, who knows all about business but little about football strategy.

That's my take.

Pretty spot on and the fact he cant see he is the one that makes his own personel desicions fail is ridiculous.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
Is it Incompetence, Arrogance, Pride, etc... or all of the above that factors into the decisions that our GM has made for 26+ years now?

The only things you left out are:

Toughness
Discipline
Apathy

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I didn't get involved in the poll about "How angry am I?" It just seem insufficient.

I am NOT angry. Been a fan since 1966. Seen some greatness in my time. I'm not angry. I'm somewhere full of hate for the owner/GM and totally ready to wash my hands of his toy.

Not mad a Dak, Zeke, any of them . . . not mad. Jerrah has put them all there! He's a POS snake oil salesman and I have bought his product for the last 25 years. I think I'm done! I'm ashamed of my gullibleness.

Bad thing is I'm almost 70 and I know I'll never see Cowboy greatness again. Stephen is Jerrah II and incapable of making sound professional team football decisions.
I'd love to get your perspective since you are probably one of the longest tenured fans here.

Jerry, like all of us here...will not live forever

If this offseason...he announced he was stepping down and he faded into the background...would you forgive him for the last 25 years...even if we do not win again in his lifetime?

Because at the rate this has gone and is going...I sense a lot of us have so much disdain for the man...we will not have ONE NICE THING to say about him if/when he is gone.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I'd love to get your perspective since you are probably one of the longest tenured fans here.

Jerry, like all of us here...will not live forever

If this offseason...he announced he was stepping down and he faded into the background...would you forgive him for the last 25 years...even if we do not win again in his lifetime?

Because at the rate this has gone and is going...I sense a lot of us have so much disdain for the man...we will not have ONE NICE THING to say about him if/when he is gone.

Don't really know what you're asking. Like, can I say anything nice about Jerry when he's gone? I could say nice things about him. Offering the stadium for Chris Kyle's funeral was honorable. I'm sure he's done things I know nothing about.

Now, if you're asking can I say nice things about the way he has run "his" football team I can't think of anything off the top of my head. He's an egotistical buffoon and has sabotaged putting a championship winning team out there for the Cowboy fans since 1994. Once he dies I would not say anything . . . period. I was raised not to speak ill of the deceased.

Let's put it this way: He said himself that he'd have fired any GM that had given the results he has given the Cowboy fans. That pretty much sums it up. If I say anything else about Jerry Jones it would just be more mean and nasty and I see no value in redundancy!

Does that cover it?

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Don't really know what you're asking. Like, can I say anything nice about Jerry when he's gone? I could say nice things about him. Offering the stadium for Chris Kyle's funeral was honorable. I'm sure he's done things I know nothing about.

Now, if you're asking can I say nice things about the way he has run "his" football team I can't think of anything off the top of my head. He's an egotistical buffoon and has sabotaged putting a championship winning team out there for the Cowboy fans since 1994. Once he dies I would not say anything . . . period. I was raised not to speak ill of the deceased.

Let's put it this way: He said himself that he'd have fired any GM that had given the results he has given the Cowboy fans. That pretty much sums it up. If I say anything else about Jerry Jones it would just be more mean and nasty and I see no value in redundancy!

Does that cover it?
I feel you

So at this point, there is nothing he can do is what you are saying?

For me...if he wants to do this fanbase that has made him and his heirs rich beyond anyone's imagination...if he wants to "apologize" for the nonsense over the past 25 years...he could step aside this offseason. Won't erase everything that he has put us through...but that would at least would be the beginning of him making amends

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a combination of a lot of things, but top of the list is ego.
It has never been as simple as ego. Every team owner has an ego and often they own a huge one, just like most successful folks. That is a notable difference since practically every other team owner (with an ego) would have fired both their general manager and director of player personnel by 2003 (at the latest) if they had witnessed how the team regressed after Super Bowl XXX.

What goes on between Jones' ears is a different mindset. His methodology is atypical from other owners overseeing their general managers but a good share of the media and public (while laughing behind his back AND in his face) identify him as just another guy with too much money who holds a three decade old death grip on how football operations are conducted. I mean. Seriously. There are no other guys with egos fitting that description. It could be argued that someone even like Al Davis was not as bad as Jones, when Davis was living really way off in left field.

Please overlook the rant. Just venting I guess. It kinda gets me that the word ego has been watered down to a casual meaning.

doomsday808

Reaction score
Denial and yet confident that Cowboys fans will continue to buy merchandise.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’m with you on the frustration
But what decisions lately were so clearly wrong?
  • The draft with Parsons, Diggs, Lamb etc
  • Dan Quinn as DC?
  • MM maybe?
  • Moore as OC?
  • Dak signing?
  • Kearse in FA
  • Will Clay extend?
Most were NOT decisions that were considered bad by most GMs

Not saying we have to like them all, but just saying

Fixed this