Is it possible Jaylon Smith is not the worst LBer you've ever seen?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am NOT a fan of Jason Whitlock. But he has a segment on his show where he has Warren Sapp as a guest and they talk football.

I don't know how you feel about Sapp....but he is one of the BEST ex-athletes I've ever heard to discuss football...especially defense.

He said #14 and #33 put on some of the WORST LBer play he's ever seen! He is very knowledgeable about these things...but he didn't even know their names, which is why he called them by their jersey number.

Clark, like Jaylon Smith...is once again one of those projects Jerry loves to find...it's like drilling for oil for him. (I am not joking when I say this). He once saw Isiah Stanback as potentially being the next Terrell Owens because they had the same speed and were the same height and weight (and skin color. I added this part, and by the way I'm African American). I'm not making this up. Thats how much of a moron we have making the final decisions in Dallas.

Jaylon Smith was AWFUL. I kinda sorta understood the gamble to draft him....but I NEVER saw the logic in extending him. But Clark might be just as bad...I guess we should take solace in the fact that there is NO WAY they would ever extend him after the Jaylon Smith debacle....or would we?!?!

We need LBers...and not just via the draft.

Said it when Bobby Wagner was available that we should have brought him in.....but people thought he was washed. Didn't matter...Jerry was not willing to pay him. But REAL LBers that are tough, physical with instincts. No more of these projects or guys that can run fast.

Clark ain't it. Like Parcells used to say..."he's like a ball in high grass.....lost"!

cmoney23

Reaction score
I think they are good at what they are. Undersized, speed LBs. Good in coverage but they aren't big enough to hold up in the run game.

If you played Micah at his natural position, LB and used him on blitzes and in obvious passing situations. Our run defense would be much better AND we'd probably get off the field more often.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Said it when Bobby Wagner was available that we should have brought him in.....
What's wrong with drafting LB's?

Wagner wasn't coming to Dallas. Ever. He never even intended on visiting. He was going to Seattle all along. This isn't new news. I don't know it still comes up. Not all these FA's want to be Cowboys.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Wagner wasn't coming to Dallas. Ever. He never even intended on visiting. He was going to Seattle all along. This isn't new news. I don't know it still comes up. Not all these FA's want to be Cowboys.
I’ll copy and paste what I put in another thread

If I had my druthers it has to be LB in 1. We aren’t physical enough with DBs/Ss playing LB. One of my best friends was a D coordinator and LB coach at some major college programs. His assessment Sunday was this….

“Defense is not physical enough. If you can’t get stops you can’t win. We haven’t been big enough up front in years and our second and 3rd level guys are all DB’s so we aren’t physical. 8 man boxes don’t matter if your 8th guy can’t tackle. Aaron Jones is running through arm tackles. Micah is not a great run defender. He’s still learning how to play DE. Remember he’s an off the ball linebacker until really until this season.”

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Because in Madden you just click "Sign player" and that's how the rest of the world thinks free agency works now.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Watching him was infuriating because he acted like a 10 year old and every tackle he made he celebrated like he won the super bowl, no matter if it was 9 yards past the line of scrimmage or not. He was an idiot it wouldn't have lasted two days on one of Jimmy's teams.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

LB is one of the safest positions to draft, so it's one of the few positions I am 'ok' with drafting for need

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am NOT a fan of Jason Whitlock. But he has a segment on his show where he has Warren Sapp as a guest and they talk football.

I don't know how you feel about Sapp....but he is one of the BEST ex-athletes I've ever heard to discuss football...especially defense.

He said #14 and #33 put on some of the WORST LBer play he's ever seen! He is very knowledgeable about these things...but he didn't even know their names, which is why he called them by their jersey number.

Clark, like Jaylon Smith...is once again one of those projects Jerry loves to find...it's like drilling for oil for him. (I am not joking when I say this). He once saw Isiah Stanback as potentially being the next Terrell Owens because they had the same speed and were the same height and weight (and skin color. I added this part, and by the way I'm African American). I'm not making this up. Thats how much of a moron we have making the final decisions in Dallas.

Jaylon Smith was AWFUL. I kinda sorta understood the gamble to draft him....but I NEVER saw the logic in extending him. But Clark might be just as bad...I guess we should take solace in the fact that there is NO WAY they would ever extend him after the Jaylon Smith debacle....or would we?!?!

Said it when Bobby Wagner was available that we should have brought him in.....but people thought he was washed. Didn't matter...Jerry was not willing to pay him. But REAL LBers that are tough, physical with instincts. No more of these projects or guys that can run fast.

Clark ain't it. Like Parcells used to say..."he's like a ball in high grass.....lost"!
Maybe Sap does not know that #33 and #14 were our most productive tackles on Sunday. Because our weak-knee front 4 can't tackle.
And after those two our most productive tacklers were Bland, Gilmore, Kearse and Wilson.
Again, because our front 4 can't tackle.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with drafting LBers...but Jerry is on the other side of 80. McCarthy is coaching for his NFL career next year...and the window is closing in Dallas. We can draft, BUT...we need ready to play and ball out LBers next year.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score

Wasn't Wagner available before he returned to Seattle?

starfan1

Reaction score
Did someone say Carpenter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theres a name that stunk here but that game in 2011 when Romo turned him into an all star while he was playing for detroit was the very game I quit being as emotionally invested in our boys. I root hard on sundays but with no expectations

JeffInDC

Reaction score
They keep drafting LB's with great athleticism...yet NO INSTINCTS!!!!!! While LVE had some instincts, his injuries rendered him useless in terms of shooting gaps and making plays at/behind the LOS in the run game. Having relentless speed guys only works if they have some sort of instincts. Oh, and some toughness to take on blockers...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I'd listen to Sapp talk football anyday. Nobody is 100 percent right about every player but he knows football. Clark may pan out but he needs a dawg next to him. Patrick Queen was a bust until they paired him with roquan. Gotta be fair

heir

Reaction score

Sapp also said Tyler Smith shouldn't be in the NFL. He sucks as a football analyst imo

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Sapp also said Tyler Smith shouldn't be in the NFL. He sucks as a football analyst imo
He was clearly wrong about that...but no one is right all the time. I've listened to him talk football...a lot. He knows what he is talking about.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Yeah but it's possible we could have had him before he went to the Rams and he would have stayed here maybe those two seasons would have been better off but yes in hindsight it was a mistake we thought we had some future young linebackers and I blame Dan Quinn for that too this is the kind of guys he likes... You look at all the work that the Eagles did to try to build the center of their defense they didn't look very good on defense either,,, I believe they even switched play callers on defense defensive coordinator got demoted mid season it didn't help they even brought in Leonard and other guys it didn't help....

With this hindsight post isn't gonna help but hopefully we can draft a couple bright young linebackers or say first rounder linebacker free agent linebacker purge Dan Quinn's couple of players that we need to change out and hopefully the next adventure coordinator can find something to fit this talent we have here

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
theres a name that stunk here but that game in 2011 when Romo turned him into an all star while he was playing for detroit was the very game I quit being as emotionally invested in our boys. I root hard on sundays but with no expectations
Cannot believe we lost that game. Did he have 2 pick 6s in that game?