Is it possible Jaylon Smith is not the worst LBer you've ever seen?

The Natural

Reaction score
I think they are good at what they are. Undersized, speed LBs. Good in coverage but they aren't big enough to hold up in the run game.

If you played Micah at his natural position, LB and used him on blitzes and in obvious passing situations. Our run defense would be much better AND we'd probably get off the field more often.
Why is that Fred Warner is a beast in the run game for SF and is 10 lbs lighter than Clark?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It is no coincidence that the 2 best NFC/AFC Teams --- 49ers and Ravens --- also have most of the All Pro Linebackers.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
I've never hated a player as much as Jaylon Smith. I used to be a frame buyer for an optometrist, and a rep sent me some frames on consignment, and one of the brands was Clear Eye View, and once I realized whose they were, I sent them all back immediately. I mean, good for him for having his line distributed by a major company, but he gets ony last nerve.

Mark

Reaction score
Tough year for the linebacking corps.

Say what you want about LVE, but the defense was always better with him out there. What he may have arguably lacked in athleticism was more than made up for in intelligence. He was calling our defensive plays out there.

A shame we got gypped out of seeing what Overshown could do this year. While it's claimed ACL is a one-year injury, in reality it seems like it's at least two to get back to speed, if one can get back at all. Wishing the best for him - and the team - in 2024.

mardwin

Reaction score
#24 pick in the draft has to be a LB from one of the major schools. Pathetic we play we practice squad talent deep into January because we decided to draft a TE in the 2nd round.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think they are good at what they are. Undersized, speed LBs. Good in coverage but they aren't big enough to hold up in the run game.

If you played Micah at his natural position, LB and used him on blitzes and in obvious passing situations. Our run defense would be much better AND we'd probably get off the field more often.
What size do you think Clark is?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am NOT a fan of Jason Whitlock. But he has a segment on his show where he has Warren Sapp as a guest and they talk football.

I don't know how you feel about Sapp....but he is one of the BEST ex-athletes I've ever heard to discuss football...especially defense.

He said #14 and #33 put on some of the WORST LBer play he's ever seen! He is very knowledgeable about these things...but he didn't even know their names, which is why he called them by their jersey number.

Clark, like Jaylon Smith...is once again one of those projects Jerry loves to find...it's like drilling for oil for him. (I am not joking when I say this). He once saw Isiah Stanback as potentially being the next Terrell Owens because they had the same speed and were the same height and weight (and skin color. I added this part, and by the way I'm African American). I'm not making this up. Thats how much of a moron we have making the final decisions in Dallas.

Jaylon Smith was AWFUL. I kinda sorta understood the gamble to draft him....but I NEVER saw the logic in extending him. But Clark might be just as bad...I guess we should take solace in the fact that there is NO WAY they would ever extend him after the Jaylon Smith debacle....or would we?!?!

We need LBers...and not just via the draft.

Said it when Bobby Wagner was available that we should have brought him in.....but people thought he was washed. Didn't matter...Jerry was not willing to pay him. But REAL LBers that are tough, physical with instincts. No more of these projects or guys that can run fast.

Clark ain't it. Like Parcells used to say..."he's like a ball in high grass.....lost"!
I've always thought that about Jerry, just cause a wide receiver is 6 2 215 lb doesn't make him the next Michael Irvin, and 5 9 210 doesn't make him the next emmitt Smith. I remember one summer they were trying to sell us the bill of goods on Jeff Ogden LOL

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He said #14 and #33 put on some of the WORST LBer play he's ever seen! He is very knowledgeable about these things...but he didn't even know their names, which is why he called them by their jersey number.
Sadly I agree. It's hard to imagine NFL LBs looking as bad as these two did at times particularly later in the season.

sbark

Reaction score
Just for Reference and comparison............Sean Lee is what LB play should look like...
Its been a bar lowered virtually every year from when Lee Retired.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Don't know if Jaylon Smith is the worst LB ever out there, but he sure had some of the freaking most idiot moves on the field that I've never seen any other LB pull LMAO

Didn't have to look for his number, just for the guy on the field doing something really stupid that left you scratching your head...

Redline360

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith was terrible. Everyone can appreciate his determination and will power to overcome that injury. That is an insane story in itself.

However even without his injury his freak athletic ability would have only taken him so far. He had some of the worst football instincts and knowledge I've seen in a long time. All that freakish athletic ability means nothing when you constantly take yourself out of plays and fill the wrong gaps

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
I don't think Jaylon was as bad as what we have now. At least he has some size. He made a play everyone in a while. But we need to do better than all of them. DL and LB is a big need on this team.
:hammer:

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith was terrible. Everyone can appreciate his determination and will power to overcome that injury. That is an insane story in itself.

However even without his injury his freak athletic ability would have only taken him so far. He had some of the worst football instincts and knowledge I've seen in a long time. All that freakish athletic ability means nothing when you constantly take yourself out of plays and fill the wrong gaps
TERRIBLE!!!

raven55

Reaction score
no parson is the worst line backer ever drafted check him out in a game

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Just for Reference and comparison............Sean Lee is what LB play should look like...
Its been a bar lowered virtually every year from when Lee Retired.

I just cried on the inside....the FO struck gold with Lee & others but they refuse to properly manage the not so elite players which leads to complacency & chaos. The FO has been intentionally sabotaging the roster for years, it's a sad state of affairs for the fans who truly understand NFL football.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing wrong with drafting LBers...but Jerry is on the other side of 80. McCarthy is coaching for his NFL career next year...and the window is closing in Dallas. We can draft, BUT...we need ready to play and ball out LBers next year.
Ever seen the war room footage? Jerry sits at the head of the table like a judge while McLay and the coaches make their case for certain players. All he does is decide who made the most convincing argument. He has no expertise or knowledge of any of these players. He is the GM but does none of the GM work.

CWR

Reaction score
Ever seen the war room footage? Jerry sits at the head of the table like a judge while McLay and the coaches make their case for certain players. All he does is decide who made the most convincing argument. He has no expertise or knowledge of any of these players. He is the GM but does none of the GM work.
That's not fair, he's busy marketing the team. You think this easy selling this slop to the masses?