Video: Is it possible McCarthy is One and Done?

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
MM is gone if he loses the team. So far, he’s dodged one, but if the Boys pull off a few wins maybe he stays.

When I state losing the team, I’m referring to the team play on the field, not the off field stuff.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
The HCing search was a joke. Jerry was looking for a replacement puppet. Look at MM, come on, the search was over when Jerry gazed upon MM's desire for money. Search over, welcome aboard.

Now here we are. Deep down inside you knew this was coming but had to push it aside.

Best part is even this insanity gets someone into the playoffs at 5-11. :lmao:

Go Jerry! :thumbup:

StuckMojo

Reaction score
MM does not need to call the plays. One of the biggest criticisms of him in GB was that his offense and play calling had become stale and outdated. Much like Moore, he has no ideal how to call plays that gets the running game going.

The thing is with this bad of a defense you need a strong running game/scheme to keep clock moving and defense off the field.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Mike Fisher for SI talks about McCarthy's future in Dallas.

At this point I think Big Mike needs to call the plays. He needs to get to the bottom of the problems.

At least on offense which now exceeds the defense in being disconnected with Dak gone.

He needs to get rid of Nolan and Moore and call the plays himself.

More importantly, he needs Jerry to constantly say MM is in charge and is the last line of defense, not him.

He needs to gain the full respect of the players.

He deserves that shot and it our best angle for now...but I doubt a certain someone's ego will allow that.

Mannix

Reaction score
Can everyone quit calling him Big Mike....too endearing....he hasn't earned S yet here to be called anything but a con man.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No! If this team falls apart, Jerry will realize that the same players failed under two DCs and two different schemes. Offense will stay as is; coaches will remain; there will be a major overhaul of the defense, as much as possible within the structure of contracts.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
MM is here for at least three years and most likely five. Following that will be ten years of Moore. The team will average 8-8 over that span with a few playoff appearances. The Cowboys will remain at the top of Forbes list of most valuable sports franchises.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, we’ll give him 2 years to suk it up.

He’ll get a pass for Pandemic , injuries and Dak.

But a short leash next year.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Prescott going down changes things, but the main issues are the O line, which I believe will gain some continuity. Dalton is good enough to win some games, even though he played awful.

The issue was and is the defense. So yes, he should be calling defensive calls because Nolan is a complete disater.

Creeper

Reaction score
There is a lot of football to be played this year so the 1 and done talk about McCarthy is way too premature.

I was listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan on the radio before and they were talking about the Dallas-Washington game. Kirwan picked the Cowboys to win. He thought the Dalton would be better this week and good enough to win. Jim Miller said something I think hits the nail on the head. He said the Cowboys are not a mentally tough football team. He did not define mental toughness, but I think it's what we mean when we say they are soft. He said Washington is more mentally tough and that is why they will win. I think that was the difference between the Eagles and Cowboys last year too. The Eagles were tougher in December and won a game they need to have. The Cowboys did nothing that day but beat the heck out of Washington the following week when it meant nothing.

I don't know if you can teach mental toughness or coach it up. I suspect not. Players either have it or they don't. The question is, how did the Cowboys manage to assemble a team of players who are all soft, especially on defense?

817Gill

Reaction score
MM does not need to call the plays. One of the biggest criticisms of him in GB was that his offense and play calling had become stale and outdated. Much like Moore, he has no ideal how to call plays that gets the running game going.
I think it was JJT’s segment but it was mentioned that though Moore was a good play designer and has some really clever ideas he’s put on film, he still hasn’t shown an ability to set up a play and script a game.

For example, the best OC’s use plays over quarters to set up a concept or formation later in the game. Right now Moore is calling games like checkers, while guys like Arthur Smith call plays like chess.

pansophy

Reaction score
How is Moore at the problem? Turnovers and terrible defense have been the issue. Even with a total scrap heap on the OL we were putting up over 30 points with Dak at the helm.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd say it's anyone's guess to say how long McCarthy is liable to retain his job as the Cowboys' HC. It probably depends how well the rest of his assistant coaches are able to perform, in addition to himself. Mike Nolan is definitely having a really tough time of things. If anyone goes before any of the others do, he's likely the leading candidate get canned.

It might be possible for Kellen Moore to survive, if those returning from their injuries, funks and whatnot, help him to enjoy some success. It looks like the OL is a problem that will be obliged to improve, for a real chance of that to occur. That may take 'til 2021. I expect he'll be retained, though.

Last edited:

lostar2009

Reaction score
Let Kellen Moore work it out with Andy. The main issue is this awful defense.

garyo1954

Reaction score
There is a lot of football to be played this year so the 1 and done talk about McCarthy is way too premature.

I was listening to Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan on the radio before and they were talking about the Dallas-Washington game. Kirwan picked the Cowboys to win. He thought the Dalton would be better this week and good enough to win. Jim Miller said something I think hits the nail on the head. He said the Cowboys are not a mentally tough football team. He did not define mental toughness, but I think it's what we mean when we say they are soft. He said Washington is more mentally tough and that is why they will win. I think that was the difference between the Eagles and Cowboys last year too. The Eagles were tougher in December and won a game they need to have. The Cowboys did nothing that day but beat the heck out of Washington the following week when it meant nothing.

I don't know if you can teach mental toughness or coach it up. I suspect not. Players either have it or they don't. The question is, how did the Cowboys manage to assemble a team of players who are all soft, especially on defense?

Remember when Wade was here? Camp Cupcake was his baby. If we get rid of this guy, we'll solve all the problems.
Then Jason Garrett took over. He was The Clapper. If we get rid of this guy, we'll solve all the problems.
Now Big Mac........and Mike Nolan.....and if we get rid of these guys, we'll solve al the problems.

That's the problem.

Running from the problem is not mental toughness. Mental toughness is accepting the things you can't control and showing the grit, spit and vinegar, the tenacity to never give up on overcoming that challenge.

You can't change who the coach is. So put your best effort into learning that system.
You can't change the schedule. So go into every game believing if you don't quit, you have a chance to win.

Players need to be challenged to learn to focus on what needs to be done in adversity, to stay poised and remain in control of how they react to adverse situations. In some way they need to be aloof to outside influences so they can focus on what needs to be done.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mike Fisher for SI talks about McCarthy's future in Dallas.

At this point I think Big Mike needs to call the plays. He needs to get to the bottom of the problems.

At least on offense which now exceeds the defense in being disconnected with Dak gone.

not a chance

he will get pass for this season for obvious reasons and have 3 years to get his vision implemented. More drafts and FA are needed to fix this not one short offseason..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was in favor of McC as a veteran HC but there was one reservation.

Why hire a pass oriented WCO HC for a team that wants to base the offense on the run? You don't give a RB that contract if you do not plan to feature him in your offense and McC has never been known as a power run offensive coach and neither is Moore. They're both pass game coordinators.

If they want to stay with McC and Moore, they need to change their strategy and that means at least a partial rebuild and they have to pay more attention to the defense.

McC will get a pass this season and there are plenty of built in reasons for that not limited to the off season and the injuries.

I do think many here are not really being fair in not considering the injuries this team has suffered and being forced to plug in players that are a big fall from the players they are replacing, especially on that OL. Backup QB behind a backup OL, where have you seen that work? Throw in a mediocre defense when healthy but really poor when not and a new coaching staff and I don't know any HC that could fix this.

When presented with a problem, you work the problem to resolve it. When you have this many problems all at the same time, how would any HC fix this?

The best this team can hope for is to see how many of these players are capable of playing at this level because they sure are getting to look at a lot of players.

I feel for McC, I do not want him fired. In all of my years of watching Cowboys football, I have never seen a new HC under such fire from the get go. He doesn't even have time to back off and assess what's happening and then has to deal with a story emerging about discourse and distrust in his locker room.

If I were not a Cowboy fan, I would still be in his corner because this man is in the middle of hell now. I can only imagine what he and his family are going through with all of the media swirling around because they smell blood.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think if Moore is put aside it will happen in the Bye Week.

I predicted at the beginning of the year that if for any reason things were not going well..

McCarthy would have to make a change and take over the headset and call plays.

I think Dalton needs that if he is going to succeed. The HC needs to firmly take control. Not doing so shows that McCarthy is not serious about what is going on.

Just stop w/ the agenda.....like the offense is the problem. Nobody has ever dealt w/ the number of problems we have on offense....and still have the #1 offense. If anything....Kellen should be promoted. He has done nothing but keep this team afloat. He will be the hottest name out there come next year when teams are looking for a new head coach. Sadly...I think he leaves.

If you wanna point fingers...look @ the dumpster fire of a defense. :popcorn: