Is it possible that Parcells hold Zimmer back just like he did Payton?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
By the way, I agree Parcells should have simply brought in a 3-4 coordinator from day one. Suddenly switching schemes midway through his regime seemed a bit asinine at the time. It still looks that way today.

superpunk

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1304566 said:
The problem with using "Dallas improved on offense too" is that the offense improved because of Romo and by all accounts, Payton wanted Romo much soooner. It was Parcells who hoped to rekindle some magic with Testaverde and Bledsoe.

Where would Dallas be if Parcells would have listened to Payton a little more?
Which speaks to better players and better execution, rather than the lame scapegoat of coaching ineptitude. I'm not saying it's nt a problem, just that's it's not the be-all and-all. This offense, in design, was much more interesting and varied this year than any other, even with Bledsoe, and we were scoring just as many points. So suggesting a stubborness that goes beyond ridiculous on Parcells' part is just that - ridiculous - in light of what happened on offense this year, Romo or not.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Dale;1304573 said:
By the way, I agree Parcells should have simply brought in a 3-4 coordinator from day one. Suddenly switching schemes midway through his regime seemed a bit asinine at the time. It still looks that way today.

I said this in another thread, but the problem was that there weren't any FOB left. All of his old coordinators and other assistants were either head coaches somewhere or on the NE staff and weren't leaving one ornery Bill for an even pissier one.

Remember also, people don't seem to want to work for Parcells any longer.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1304588 said:
I said this in another thread, but the problem was that there weren't any FOB left. All of his old coordinators and other assistants were either head coaches somewhere or on the NE staff and weren't leaving one ornery Bill for an even pissier one.

Remember also, people don't seem to want to work for Parcells any longer.

I think his inability to find familiar coordinators can really be traced as the root of his failure here.

When he was hired, I recall a lot of articles about how dependent he was on coordinators. In fact, wasn't his fear of not hooking up with old friends one of the reasons he listed as "thinking over" the offer to come here? Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a lot of hype that he better find good assistants to have success here.

Granted, assistants are important everywhere. Just seem to recall a keen interest on this topic with Parcells.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dale;1304544 said:
For the Cowboys' sake, I hope Parcells wasn't holding Zimmer back.

I really believe that he was, but there's a method to Bill's madness, just like he restricted Payton last year, horrible bookends at OT, only 1 WR creating separation, and he was double-teamed, the pass-catching TE having to stay back and block for a great percentage because of said Oline problem, immobile Qb who held onto the football for far too long

this year w/ the D, it was the front 4 never generating consistent pressure, BP was complaining about it earlier in the year, and it got worse, no FS, so Roy, who's not strong in coverage, is back there in the deep zone for a great percentage of the D snaps

but it also ties into BP's defensive philosophy of his players winning individual matchups, and w/ the exception of Ware, Ferg, and sometimes AKin in the front 7, noone was doing it, and the cover-2, which has long been his staple, and as someone just pointed out, we had LBs, other than Ware, who couldn't cover in it, and safeties which coverage never being either one of their strong suits, and the FS being very bad at it, and Henry being a man-corner, forced to play in a zone, in which he bit on double moves quite often

none of that is conducive to much creativity

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1304609 said:
I really believe that he was, but there's a method to Bill's madness, just like he restricted Payton last year, horrible bookends at OT, only 1 WR creating separation, and he was double-teamed, the pass-catching TE having to stay back and block for a great percentage because of said Oline problem, immobile Qb who held onto the football for far too long

this year w/ the D, it was the front 4 never generating consistent pressure, BP was complaining about it earlier in the year, and it got worse, no FS, so Roy, who's not strong in coverage, is back there in the deep zone for a great percentage of the D snaps

but it also ties into BP's defensive philosophy of his players winning individual matchups, and w/ the exception of Ware, Ferg, and sometimes AKin in the front 7, noone was doing it, and the cover-2, which has long been his staple, and as someone just pointed out, we had LBs, other than Ware, who couldn't cover in it, and safeties which coverage never being either one of their strong suits, and the FS being very bad at it, and Henry being a man-corner, forced to play in a zone, in which he bit on double moves quite often

none of that is conducive to much creativity

The question I then raise is why in the world did Parcells bring in all these players seemingly diametrically opposed to the schemes he likes to run?

Has he just been that "off" in assessing personnel?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dale;1304627 said:
The question I then raise is why in the world did Parcells bring in all these players seemingly diametrically opposed to the schemes he likes to run?

I don't think he's been 'off' on all of them, Spears and Canty are still young, and a little weak, by NFL terms, Pat Watkins was a rookie, after Ellis went down, noone stepped up in his spot until Carp late, and real late, so by that time, it was too late, and Henry was doing pretty good until he banged up his knee

BP has to start thinking about tweaking some of his system too, that's what pissed me off, we didn't have the mental fortitude to run his D, yet he kept at it

but not to say that some of our talent won't come on and be able to run his scheme, just it was painfully obvious that they couldn't do it as a unit this year

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Dale;1304627 said:

Two great questions........I'm looking forward to hearing them answered.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1304192 said:

yep I lost...

like I told Rx in PM, I guess I should have thought about potential people with a past with him (other than Campo)...

not sure what we ever decided on as a bet, but I was wrong

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1304306 said:
How's this working out for you?:lmao2:

ultimately it works out pretty good...at least he aint here running our D anymore

1 down, 1 more big Fish to go

David

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1304631 said:
I don't think he's been 'off' on all of them, Spears and Canty are still young, and a little weak, by NFL terms, Pat Watkins was a rookie, after Ellis went down, noone stepped up in his spot until Carp late, and real late, so by that time, it was too late, and Henry was doing pretty good until he banged up his knee

BP has to start thinking about tweaking some of his system too, that's what pissed me off, we didn't have the mental fortitude to run his D, yet he kept at it

but not to say that some of our talent won't come on and be able to run his scheme, just it was painfully obvious that they couldn't do it as a unit this year

I don't see much hope, though, if the Cowboys simply lack defensive linemen capable of winning their individual matchups, linebackers that can't cover, and a corner in Henry that can't cover in the team's defensive scheme.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dale;1304644 said:
I don't see much hope, though, if the Cowboys simply lack defensive linemen capable of winning their individual matchups, linebackers that can't cover, and a corner in Henry that can't cover in the team's defensive scheme.

I don't see much hope either

if things remain the same

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Dale;1304592 said:
I think his inability to find familiar coordinators can really be traced as the root of his failure here.

When he was hired, I recall a lot of articles about how dependent he was on coordinators. In fact, wasn't his fear of not hooking up with old friends one of the reasons he listed as "thinking over" the offer to come here? Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a lot of hype that he better find good assistants to have success here.

Granted, assistants are important everywhere. Just seem to recall a keen interest on this topic with Parcells.

I don't think it's so much that he's dependent on quality coordinators, I think for all his tough guy persona, he's very insecure and is dependent on people he feels he can trust.

I really think that's where most of Dallas' problems lie. As we see now, Payton does have somewhat of a clue but never had free reign in Dallas due to Parcells' trust issue. I really, really believe we'll see the same thing now that Zimmer's free of the shackles.

I think the most interesting thing is going to be if a journalist in Dallas can get Zimmer to open up now that he's free of the gag order. (hint hint ;) for a few who read here) It'd give us great insight into what's really happening. I know he won't throw Parcells under the bus because he is a professional but it'd still be interesting.