Is it possible that Parcells hold Zimmer back just like he did Payton?

RxMan

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1304185 said:
Yeah. BP also held Bellichick back as well. :rolleyes:

They had success together. Then Bellicek made a little more progress once he was out from under Bill. :)

Let's not get off topic here. :) Zimmer is a DC in the NFL!!

RxMan

Reaction score
RxMan;1297819 said:
OK. We can bet once we know if he is really leaving.

BTW, I really don't know the answer to the question of Parcells holding coordinators back. Can we succeed with Parcells at the helm and a fresh coordinator or is he the problem?

My original comment on the subject of coordinators.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
RxMan;1304149 said:
How did Parcells hold him back? He put his super conservative stamp on the offense and limited his game plan creativity. Take a look at New Orleans for an offense which is creative and aggressive.

Isn't that what got Payton canned in New York?

Jersey

Reaction score
Sure he held him back. He's got 1/2 the talent we've got and they move the ball at will.
That's why I think he ran it up on us here. It was to show everyone, especially BP that this is what he's capable of.
Bills ego is too big to allow anyone to flourish under him.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
RxMan;1304195 said:
They had success together. Then Bellicek made a little more progress once he was out from under Bill. :)

Let's not get off topic here. :) Zimmer is a DC in the NFL!!

Do you mean when Mumbles was an abject failure in Cleveland and his first year in New England?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
RxMan;1304149 said:
How did Parcells hold him back? He put his super conservative stamp on the offense and limited his game plan creativity. Take a look at New Orleans for an offense which is creative and aggressive.

How quickly people forget that, with Aaron Brooks at QB, the Saints were a perennial .500 team when McAllister was healthy. Exit Brooks, enter a Pro Bowl quarterback and a Heisman winner at RB to pair with McAllister, and the Saints improve to a 10-6 team. That's a two-game improvement.

Not a knock on Payton, but isn't that about how much the Saints should have been expected to improve, with those additions?

RxMan

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1304217 said:
Do you mean when Mumbles was an abject failure in Cleveland and his first year in New England?

I like how you used 'first year' in New England. Wow, that was WEAK. You might as well bring up how Parcells sucked at Air Force.

RxMan

Reaction score
percyhoward;1304242 said:
How quickly people forget that, with Aaron Brooks at QB, the Saints were a perennial .500 team when McAllister was healthy. Exit Brooks, enter a Pro Bowl quarterback and a Heisman winner at RB to pair with McAllister, and the Saints improve to a 10-6 team. That's a two-game improvement.

Not a knock on Payton, but isn't that about how much the Saints should have been expected to improve, with those additions?

This makes alot of sense. Look at us. We brought in TO, drafted a first rounder who only played the last part of the season and a backup TE. How much were we expected to improve?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
RxMan;1304250 said:
This makes alot of sense. Look at us. We brought in TO, drafted a first rounder who only played the last part of the season and a backup TE. How much were we expected to improve?

Well, our defense was the best thing John Madden saw in the preseason.;)

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
RxMan;1304245 said:
I like how you used 'first year' in New England. Wow, that was WEAK. You might as well bring up how Parcells sucked at Air Force.

About as weak as you conveniently forgetting Cleveland or the fact the Patriots lost their first two games of 2001 only to "benefit" when Bledsoe got injured and then ultimately because of a tuck rule in the playoffs.

RxMan

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1304262 said:
About as weak as you conveniently forgetting Cleveland or the fact the Patriots lost their first two games of 2001 only to "benefit" when Bledsoe got injured and then ultimately because of a tuck rule in the playoffs.

Yeah, that evens out with his three superbowl trophies. Give me a break. Bellicek was good under Parcells, left and steadily improved to become a great HC and win 3 superbowls on his own. That statement is a fact. Was he better or worse without Parcells? If you want to say worse based on Cleveland and his 'first' year in New England that's fine. No one else on the planet will agree.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
RxMan;1304285 said:
Yeah, that evens out with his three superbowl trophies. Give me a break. Bellicek was good under Parcells, left and steadily improved to become a great HC and win 3 superbowls on his own. That statement is a fact. Was he better or worse without Parcells? If you want to say worse based on Cleveland and his 'first' year in New England that's fine. No one else on the planet will agree.

Amazing how you love a guy and cannot spell his name correctly.

As an aside, I never mentioned that he was "worse" than Parcells, just that those who laud him always conveniently forget how he stabbed the Jets in the back and was a total failure in Cleveland.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;1297780 said:
Zimmer wont get another DC job in the NFL...I'll bet on it

David

It's tough enough to eat crow.

But to eat it the next day? Ouch.

Feel sorry for ya bud. I'd distance from that statement :)

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
RxMan;1297741 said:
Any chance this could be happening? Seems like Sean Payton is having a fine time running the offense in New Orleans. Is big Bill just too damn conservative?

Yep, for 3 years BEFORE he was hired, Parcells held Zimmer back when he was the DC under Dave Campo.

Wasn't anyone around here old enough to watch the Cowboys prior to 2003?

RxMan

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1304306 said:
How's this working out for you?:lmao2:

Thanks for getting things back on topic. :) When do I get to collect?

I'm no Belichick lover, but Parcells definitely isn't know for letting his coordinators thrive. It's a catch22 anyways. If the offense or defense does well it's because Parcells is calling the plays or implementing the 3-4. If either sucks then it is the coordinators fault. Simple enough.

superpunk

Reaction score
THUMPER;1304320 said:
Yep, for 3 years BEFORE he was hired, Parcells held Zimmer back when he was the DC under Dave Campo.

Wasn't anyone around here old enough to watch the Cowboys prior to 2003?
The swing.....high fly ball to left....going...going.....Thumper hits it out of there!

Parcells was holding Payton back in New York, too. Voo-doo, homies.

cowboyed

Reaction score
dricas24;1297755 said:
Yes he is and I would rather see B.P gone than Zimmer.

Unfortunately with Zimmer gone it may indicate Parcells is alive and living large at Valley Ranch. If Jones was getting rid of Parcells he might have hung on to Zimmer, unless maybe Zimmer is fed up with Jones, Parcells and having been abused in the 3-4.