Is it possible that Parcells hold Zimmer back just like he did Payton?

RxMan

Reaction score
THUMPER;1304320 said:
Yep, for 3 years BEFORE he was hired, Parcells held Zimmer back when he was the DC under Dave Campo.

Wasn't anyone around here old enough to watch the Cowboys prior to 2003?

I've only been following the Cowboys for about 20 years. I even survived 1989 with a rookie QB and Paul Palmer at RB. Now those were good times. I do recall Zimmer having a top 5 rated defense at least once or twice. Again, I am no Zimmer or Belichick lover, but Parcells is KNOWN for having complete control and I think that, in turn limits the coordinators effectiveness.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dbair1967;1297780 said:
Zimmer wont get another DC job in the NFL...I'll bet on it

David

Don't sweat in man. He's no longer our problem!

RxMan

Reaction score
superpunk;1304335 said:
The swing.....high fly ball to left....going...going.....Thumper hits it out of there!

Parcells was holding Payton back in New York, too. Voo-doo, homies.

Parcells definitely didn't help him. He is now a head coach and doing quite well after getting away from Parcells. Your jumping on Thumpers jock was nice to see though.

I'm really going to hate it if big Dave doesn't come back and honor the bet. That's the reason I brought the thread up in the first place. The obvious Zimmer haters thought he would never be a DC in the NFL again. Well, he wasn't even unemployed a day. Of course all of us fans know much more than the coaches actually in the NFL.

superpunk

Reaction score
RxMan;1304362 said:
Parcells definitely didn't help him.
Really? You know this how?

His success as a head coach couldn't possibly be getting a pro-bowl QB, an incredible weapon at RB, a 7th round rookie WR who looks like the second coming, and raping our team of LBs and such, could it? It couldn't be because Payton has successful coordinators under him, could it? Isn't it shocking that our offense scored 100 more points THIS year, without Payton? Isn't that surprising? Doesn't that make you stop, and back up from the moronic diatribe in which Parcells is a surly old curmudgeon who will listen to no one, who squelches all ideas, and rules as a dictator? The obvious change and explosion in our offense doesn't blow that theory to hell?

It sure as hell does. Parcells listens to his coordinators if they have any ideas that are worth a damn. The difference in our offense this year is a tribute to that, a tribute to player execution, and a slap in the face to all the pathetic "scheme" excuses used to pardon the players for their poor performance.

p1_

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1297766 said:
Here's the bottom line folks. How soon we forget Zimmer being somewhat vocal about not being sure about our transformation to the 3-4 and his lack of having coached it EVER.

Bill should have jettisoned Zimmer as soon as he knew he was going to a 3-4 scheme and immediately brought in a 3-4 teaching mind.

you mean like the day he accepted the job maybe? And the subsequent days he spent interviewing Zimmer? Yeah, you're right. He should have hired someone else from the start.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BP favors the cover-2, and bland defensive packages, he believes players should win their individual matchups, the exact same D we've been running for these past 2 years

think about it

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
p1_;1304392 said:
you mean like the day he accepted the job maybe? And the subsequent days he spent interviewing Zimmer? Yeah, you're right. He should have hired someone else from the start.

Yes! The day Zimmer balked at his idea of the 3-4 his butt should have been gone! Tis water under the bridge today though. :star:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER;1304320 said:
Yep, for 3 years BEFORE he was hired, Parcells held Zimmer back when he was the DC under Dave Campo.

Right on the :money:

RxMan

Reaction score
THUMPER;1304320 said:

Are you referring to the 2001 4th overall defensive ranking or the mediocore 18th ranking in 2002 aided by the ball control offense led by Carter/Hutchinson? :confused:

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
RxMan;1304481 said:
Are you referring to the 2001 4th overall defensive ranking or the mediocore 18th ranking in 2002 aided by the ball control offense led by Carter/Hutchinson? :confused:

Stop confusing them with actual facts.

The torches are lit, the pitchforks sharpened....they found the scapegoat and nothing can stop them.

RxMan

Reaction score
I think it was my low post count that put the blood in the water.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1304525 said:
Stop confusing them with actual facts.

The torches are lit, the pitchforks sharpened....they found the scapegoat and nothing can stop them.

I don't remember the names but I am pretty sure, some of the same guys who are happy/happy joy/joy with Zimmer gone, were the same ones who were happy when Payton was gone.

I guess now we know Payton wasn't the problem with offense. Now I don't think Zimmer was as good Co-ordinator as Payton was, but Zimmer had to be the fall guy here.

Lets see what Parcells does if he decides to stay here.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
For the Cowboys' sake, I hope Parcells wasn't holding Zimmer back.

Personally, I don't see Zimmer as some genius in hiding. But, as the thread that re-emerged here yesterday showed, many people here viewed Payton in that same light this time last year.

RxMan

Reaction score
Payton has done well with New Orleans, but as superpunk pointed out above, our offense also improved once he left. I don't care if Zimmer has success or not, but it would be nice for our defense to do likewise and improve now that he is gone. :)

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
RxMan;1304550 said:
Payton has done well with New Orleans, but as superpunk pointed out above, our offense also improved once he left. I don't care if Zimmer has success or not, but it would be nice for our defense to do likewise and improve now that he is gone. :)

I haven't followed this thread closely enough, so this could have already been pointed out. But Payton never had a quarterback as good as Romo played or a No. 1 wide receiver as good as TO.

Regardless of the coordinator, I would have easily expected this year's unit to be the best -- and I felt that way even before Romo emerged from the shadows.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;1304542 said:
I don't remember the names but I am pretty sure, some of the same guys who are happy/happy joy/joy with Zimmer gone, were the same ones who were happy when Payton was gone.

I guess now we know Payton wasn't the problem with offense. Now I don't think Zimmer was as good Co-ordinator as Payton was, but Zimmer had to be the fall guy here.

Lets see what Parcells does if he decides to stay here.

I think we all know that if he stays he'll promote Bowles.

I don't think that people realize how Zimmer was hamstrung. He tried to run a Cover 2 when the corners weren't the gambling zone type corners that excel in that scheme, the safeties weren't coverage first guys, the linebackers weren't quick enough to cover and the DL couldn't get to the QB.

He'll excel in Atlanta because they have the right pieces for the scheme. Hall's terrible man to man but can play zone, Brooking will get to coverage areas that James never dreamed of and with Abraham and others, the DL can create pressure without blitzing.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
dbair1967;1297798 said:
your on then...he might get an NFL job, but it wont be as a DC (as I said)...he might get a college coordinator job somewhere, but unless Dave Campo is gonna get another HC job, Zimmer aint getting another chance

David

:laugh2: Wonder why david hasnt commented on the bet he lost?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
RxMan;1304550 said:

The problem with using "Dallas improved on offense too" is that the offense improved because of Romo and by all accounts, Payton wanted Romo much soooner. It was Parcells who hoped to rekindle some magic with Testaverde and Bledsoe.

Where would Dallas be if Parcells would have listened to Payton a little more?