Is it Quinn's defense or lack of talented players?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Lack of talented players, clearly. We have no LB's and a tweener at DT. That is a recipe for failure no matter how you play whom. No D coach in the history of the NFL could've stopped the run w/ this olio.
Was hoping you'd start the convo off with a cooglesby or something, you've let me down!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
When you create a thread, below the title there are 2 tabs. One for discussion, the other for a poll. At the bottom you can add the poll info.
However, I never created one so you would need to figure that part out. Maybe someone with more knowledge with that can help.
Hey hey bud you're getting the big bucks and you can't even help me!!? Lol ( just kidding thanks anyway?)

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Because we have no LB's. If we have the talent, then we'd have competent LBs.
We may just have to agree to disagree and that's OK and I see where you're coming from. Just my way of thinking is that these guys are not bad players at all and the Cowboys actually have had a really good run of drafting guys on the defensive side of the football. The issue is the scheme in place has put a priority on smaller/faster linebackers (or safeties). Even that in itself isn't the end of the world, but when your scheme also calls for a smaller/faster 3T and smaller/faster DEs I can't go back to the players and just say its all on them and that they're not good enough when they get gashed in the run game. Micah Parsons is a prime example there....elite talent, but a huge issue in the run game because he simply isn't big enough to beat these RTs firing off the ball consistently. That's a scheme issue.

lostar2009

Reaction score
There's talent there. The were top 5. They need better linebacking play. Realistically....sign one Linebacker and sign one DT or 3T and your defense will be improved.
I think we need 2 LBs, and 2 DTs, not including LVE. I also I think we would have better production from Bell and Clark. If they were coach up correctly. Although Bell is undersize, he could be more impactful with coaching, the same with Clark.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It's nuanced. Quinn is a dynamite DC. No question about it. However, he doesn't seem to make in game adjustments well.
Dynamic??? How is Quinn dynamic???

What plays does he design, or what plays have you seen that have you conclude that he's dynamic as a DC?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think we need 2 LBs, and 2 DTs, not including LVE. I also I think we would have better production from Bell and Clark. If they were coach up correctly. Although Bell is undersize, he could be more impactful with coaching, the same with Clark.
I just say that realistically. I don't think you can go into free agency and fill those holes. Your defense is gonna have holes. I just need some talent to mask some of those holes.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Its a player personnel problem, Queen doesn't have the players he needs.
Which I think bring up the question of who's picking these guys? Is this a DQ issue as hes the main influence on setting the roster, or is this the work of the Jones boys?

wecasa

Reaction score
Depth at linebacker is non existent. Starting linebackers aren't really starter quality. Pair that with sub par interior d line play and it's a recipe for disaster. D line play doesn't require much from the o line to negate it allowing them to molest our smaller not really line backers at will. If you can't keep 300+ lb linemen off your 200 lb line backers your screwed.

every line backer outside of parsons who doesn't even play lber much anymore came with huge injury red flags. S Lee, Jaylon, LVE, even Damone came in requiring neck surgery. Pair that with the usual swing and miss picks...

Just doesn't seem to have any clue as to how to build a viable defense outside of edge rushers, corners and lots of safetys...

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
When u can't stop the run....teams can avoid the strength of this defense: pass rush and corner.

This philosophy of surrendering the 5 yard gain, while preventing the long quick strike plays and "forcing teams to string together 10 play drives" in hopes that a Holding Call or negative play derails the drive was all the rage these last handful of years, but offenses are now catching up to it, and are content and skilled at making those 10 play drives, death by a 1000 cuts offense.

This is epitomized by the Vic Fangio defense....but teams have caught onto his brand of defense which 7 or 8 of his acolytes run league wide...and it just doesn't work anymore.
Well said, right here^^^^ 100% agree. The ol' Bend-But-Dont-Break defensive philosophy simply isn't going to beat the better teams. You can't always count on the offense to self-destruct. I thought Dallas rid themselves of this philosophy from the past 2 DCs (Nolan and Marinelli).

If the DBs are good, then lean on them. Put 10 in the box and trust your DBs on the outside to make plays. Just giving team easy 5-yard throws and not pressing the LOS on 1st down (allowing 5+-yard runs), it's not a winning formula. The constant backpedaling by the defense takes whatever aggression they had to start the game, it goes away. And you just can't turn it on in the 2nd half after backpedaling for much of the 1st half.

The fact that Quinn can't see this means...he's just not effective enough as a DC. And certainly in the Big Games, he's downright stunk. Bad early game plans, late adjustments, poor blitz schemes, no deception, sheesh! He's just an overrated DC, to me.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Which I think bring up the question of who's picking these guys? Is this a DQ issue as hes the main influence on setting the roster, or is this the work of the Jones boys?
I'd say it might be a bit of both... DQ being stubborn with using safeties as LB's or the jones being cheap and not wanting to trade for a LB... they tried to sign some couch LB but that didn't happen...

Zman5

Reaction score
It's hard to play good defense vs good offensed when Damone Clark is the only true inside LB on the field. Especially against teams that can run.

Mikexike

Reaction score
It's hard to play good defense vs good offensed when Damone Clark is the only true inside LB on the field. Especially against teams that can run.
He's the only true inside LB that takes the worst angles.

kskboys

Reaction score
And Damone completely lacks the short area quickness and instincts to play it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slick325

Reaction score
Dynamic??? How is Quinn dynamic???

What plays does he design, or what plays have you seen that have you conclude that he's dynamic as a DC?
Used the term "dynamite" not dynamic. For anyone to say he isn't a very good DC despite the last 7 games of the 2023 season is disingenuous. He had a good run in Dallas. Not that he is without flaws.

He definitely takes the majority of blame for the loss to Green Bay. I also am good with him moving on for a HC job. His lack of in-game adjustments, rolling with a safety at LB and not imploring the front office to address the holes he had up the middle, deserve accountability.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's the only true inside LB that takes the worst angles.
Here's a little NFLism for you:

Takes bad angles. What they're really saying: Lacks the lateral agility and instincts to mirror the ball carrier. Basically, Damone can't turn sharply enough. So, while it appears as if he's taking bad angles, what's really happening is that the ball carrier cuts, and Damone lacks the physical skillset to mirror his cut and stay in front of him. Same problem w/ Jeff Heath.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
The defense was built to compliment a high scoring offense by getting turnovers and getting sacks. It was not built as a shut down defense that stops the run and controls the game. When the offense didn't score, the defense had to play differently which often led to blowout losses.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well said, right here^^^^ 100% agree. The ol' Bend-But-Dont-Break defensive philosophy simply isn't going to beat the better teams. You can't always count on the offense to self-destruct. I thought Dallas rid themselves of this philosophy from the past 2 DCs (Nolan and Marinelli).

If the DBs are good, then lean on them. Put 10 in the box and trust your DBs on the outside to make plays. Just giving team easy 5-yard throws and not pressing the LOS on 1st down (allowing 5+-yard runs), it's not a winning formula. The constant backpedaling by the defense takes whatever aggression they had to start the game, it goes away. And you just can't turn it on in the 2nd half after backpedaling for much of the 1st half.

The fact that Quinn can't see this means...he's just not effective enough as a DC. And certainly in the Big Games, he's downright stunk. Bad early game plans, late adjustments, poor blitz schemes, no deception, sheesh! He's just an overrated DC, to me.
Or we lack the talent to do so.

Don't underrate how bad it is that our tweener DT gets pushed aside for those off tackle runs.

Mikexike

Reaction score
The defense was built to compliment a high scoring offense by getting turnovers and getting sacks. It was not built as a shut down defense that stops the run and controls the game. When the offense didn't score, the defense had to play differently which often led to blowout losses.
So in other words, the Dallas cowboys are built for entertainment.:muttley: