Is it Quinn's defense or lack of talented players?

kskboys

Reaction score
Depth at linebacker is non existent. Starting linebackers aren't really starter quality. Pair that with sub par interior d line play and it's a recipe for disaster. D line play doesn't require much from the o line to negate it allowing them to molest our smaller not really line backers at will. If you can't keep 300+ lb linemen off your 200 lb line backers your screwed.

every line backer outside of parsons who doesn't even play lber much anymore came with huge injury red flags. S Lee, Jaylon, LVE, even Damone came in requiring neck surgery. Pair that with the usual swing and miss picks...

Just doesn't seem to have any clue as to how to build a viable defense outside of edge rushers, corners and lots of safetys...
Make that lots of SS's!!!!!!!!!!!! We don't have a FS type who can cover ground and make the O pay for tossing long passes.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We lack size upfront and at LB. We get pushed backwards and our LB’s can’t shed blocks and get taken out of plays. This is why we continue year after year struggling against the run. We have undersized players who provide a pass rush but this season we weren’t getting home. Our sacks were down from 2022.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We lack size upfront and at LB. We get pushed backwards and our LB’s can’t shed blocks and get taken out of plays.
We need to get thumpers and guys who can diagnose plays and not WAIT until they're getting hands put on them, maybe be the aggressor once in 2024!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I think we need 2 LBs, and 2 DTs, not including LVE. I also I think we would have better production from Bell and Clark. If they were coach up correctly. Although Bell is undersize, he could be more impactful with coaching, the same with Clark.
Not about coaching w/ Clark. He lacks lateral agility and instincts. It was all over his scouting report, and now it's showing up.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There were some injuries that killed the defense, but for whatever reason that keeps getting overlooked

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's the pick, I wish I knew how to do the poll stuff! Please give your thoughts
Its hard to say. Do they need better/bigger players, yes. But from all the things we hear DQ is heavily involved at finding his kind of players. Not sure. But I know they can't have 200lb linebackers and although they swung and missed with Mazi at least they tried to help the Dline. They need a difference making DT. They haven't had that in many years.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Used the term "dynamite" not dynamic. For anyone to say he isn't a very good DC despite the last 7 games of the 2023 season is disingenuous. He had a good run in Dallas. Not that he is without flaws.

He definitely takes the majority of blame for the loss to Green Bay. I also am good with him moving on for a HC job. His lack of in-game adjustments, rolling with a safety at LB and not imploring the front office to address the holes he had up the middle, deserve accountability.
ah, ok, my bad LOL

He is a good DC in terms of getting the locker room to buy in, though we don't see that in the biggest games. An good Xs and Os DC? A good in-game adjustment DC? Good at confusing offenses? No to all of that. So, he's kind of mediocre to me.

No, he doesn't have a full defensive roster (needs LBs, DTs and a FS for sure). But how he tries to compensate for these weaknesses is questionable.

kskboys

Reaction score
We may just have to agree to disagree and that's OK and I see where you're coming from. Just my way of thinking is that these guys are not bad players at all and the Cowboys actually have had a really good run of drafting guys on the defensive side of the football. The issue is the scheme in place has put a priority on smaller/faster linebackers (or safeties). Even that in itself isn't the end of the world, but when your scheme also calls for a smaller/faster 3T and smaller/faster DEs I can't go back to the players and just say its all on them and that they're not good enough when they get gashed in the run game. Micah Parsons is a prime example there....elite talent, but a huge issue in the run game because he simply isn't big enough to beat these RTs firing off the ball consistently. That's a scheme issue.
Man, it still appears as if you're posting contradictory statements. If our Dt's and LB's are not big enough, then it's a lack of talent. Size is part of the talent equation in the NFL.

Honestly, I see two quality NFL starters on this D, Parsons and DLaw. Who else is even above average? Maybe one of the S's, but not if they're playing LB. It looks to me as if we are grossly undertalented. What are you pointing at to say we have the talent? Our 3rd best player on D, Hankins, is an older JAG.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Or we lack the talent to do so.

Don't underrate how bad it is that our tweener DT gets pushed aside for those off tackle runs.
So, basically this is an overrated defense. o_O I've been saying that all year, and I get beat down after they blowout a patsie. LOL

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
There were some injuries that killed the defense, but for whatever reason that keeps getting overlooked
What team stays 100% healthy for the entire season? The Diggs loss hurt. LVE hurt, but honestly it's on the Cowboys for not having another backer even close to ready to step in for him. The guy was a good player, but far from someone who couldn't be replaced.

Creeper

Reaction score
Maybe the question is, is the team lacking the talent on defense because of Quinn?

Was it Quinn's decision to cut all the LBs and go light at that position all year? Was it Quinn's decision to try to turn Mazi Smith into Calijah Kancey by making him lose 30 or 40 lbs.?

The last few games it was more about scheme than players. Those soft coverages killed us against Miami, almost Detroit and against GB. Whose idea was that to be so conservative on defense? What happened to the aggressive pressures we saw early in the season? What happened to the man coverage they excelled at?

I have no idea what the answers are but they all point to Quinn. We've been saying we need to get bigger and stronger up front for years. They draft Mazi in the first round, the first time they took a DT that early in 32 years, then they tell him to lose all that weight in the middle of the season?! Unheard of.

At this point we have no idea if Mazi is the guy or a bust so here we are still small and weak at DT. Is this Quinn's fault?

Personnel decisions have hurt Dallas for 2 years now. Last year it was losing Ridgeway, another big body. This year we waived LBs we desperately needed and never replaced them.

And I would still like to know why they moved up to draft Eric Scott, then protected him with a roster spot all year, cutting LBs when they needed roster spots. Is there really another team that wanted Scott that bad? We saw Scott in preseason against scrubs and he showed a complete lack of makeup speed. Do they think he is another Charvarious Ward?

reddyuta

Reaction score
lets face it our D has come short time and time again when we have faced good Offenses under Quinn,i would be open to to try something new.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Its hard to say. Do they need better/bigger players, yes. But from all the things we hear DQ is heavily involved at finding his kind of players. Not sure. But I know they can't have 200lb linebackers and although they swung and missed with Mazi at least they tried to help the Dline. They need a difference making DT. They haven't had that in many years.
very true

kskboys

Reaction score
So, basically this is an overrated defense. o_O I've been saying that all year, and I get beat down after they blowout a patsie. LOL
Yup. Smallish D's are notorious for getting run over in the playoffs. Been happening since the beginning.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe the question is, is the team lacking the talent on defense because of Quinn?

Was it Quinn's decision to cut all the LBs and go light at that position all year? Was it Quinn's decision to try to turn Mazi Smith into Calijah Kancey by making him lose 30 or 40 lbs.?

The last few games it was more about scheme than players. Those soft coverages killed us against Miami, almost Detroit and against GB. Whose idea was that to be so conservative on defense? What happened to the aggressive pressures we saw early in the season? What happened to the man coverage they excelled at?

I have no idea what the answers are but they all point to Quinn. We've been saying we need to get bigger and stronger up front for years. They draft Mazi in the first round, the first time they took a DT that early in 32 years, then they tell him to lose all that weight in the middle of the season?! Unheard of.

At this point we have no idea if Mazi is the guy or a bust so here we are still small and weak at DT. Is this Quinn's fault?

Personnel decisions have hurt Dallas for 2 years now. Last year it was losing Ridgeway, another big body. This year we waived LBs we desperately needed and never replaced them.

And I would still like to know why they moved up to draft Eric Scott, then protected him with a roster spot all year, cutting LBs when they needed roster spots. Is there really another team that wanted Scott that bad? We saw Scott in preseason against scrubs and he showed a complete lack of makeup speed. Do they think he is another Charvarious Ward?
All excellent questions.

From what I could find, Eric Scott = Reggie Robinson. Just another guy who lacks the lateral agility to play at a high level. We've been bringing these guys in for years, and can't figure out what's wrong. Meanwhile, my peabrain figured it out by reading a stinking magazine.

Once again, the lack of NFL evaluation ability at GM just keeps on coming back to haunt us.

1942willys

Reaction score
It's nuanced. Quinn is a dynamite DC. No question about it. However, he doesn't seem to make in game adjustments well.

Not having good DTs nor LBs didn't help either.

Dallas needs to upgrade the front 7 this offseason, via early free agency AND the draft. They also need to ensure they pick a heckuva DC should Quinn get a HC job as we all expect.
I agree. DQ has a problem; and its one we have seen again and again over the years in Dallas; with adjusting during the game.
and that is critical.

You need contingency plans in case your game plan goes belly up. I saw no signs he can do that; and that is a fatal flaw

Now we clearly have a soft run D; especially up the middle. Better DT play and tougher LBs would fix that