Is it really time to panic?

elcowboi

Reaction score
Today is the official start of free agency, yet there is thread after thread and post after post about how we have blown it and ALL the good free agents are gone. So let's take a look at the positions of need.

S - Everyone agrees we need a Safety and it would be nice to get an impact one. In NFL.com top 100 list, they have Justin Simmons, Marcus Williams, John Johnson, Anthony Harris, Marcus Maye, Keanu Neal, Desmond King, XAVIER WOODS, Jaquiski Tartt, Jalen Mills, Cameron Sutton, Rayshawn Jenkins, Malik Hooker and Ricardo Allen. Of the guys ranked ahead of Woods, Simmons, Williams and Maye were franchise tagged. Johnson got a big deal...would have been a nice target. Right now, Anthony Harris, Keanu Neal, and Desmond King are available. Most of the others are as well, so it isn't like everybody is gone.

DT - Another huge need but not sure there are many great ones available. Dalvin Tomlinson was the highest rated and he was snapped up. The next ones out there are Shelby Harris, Ndamakang Suh, Sheldon Rankins, and Lawrence Guy. Harris was resigned by his prior team and the rest are available. Rankins was thought of as an Aaron Donald clone but that never happened. Suh is really the only one that would be an upgrade but he doesn't play hard all the time. You don't know what you are going to get from him.

CB - William Jackson signed for for 14m a year. Wasn't happening here. Shaquill Griffin 13m a year. Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, Kevin King, Troy Hill, CHIDOBE AWUZIE(signed), Richard Sherman, Brian Poole, Mike Hilton, Ronald Darby (13m!!!!), Bashaud Breeland, Mackensie Alexander, Michael Davis(8+ million). So 4 guys ranked higher than Awuzie are available and 5 after are. Still room to pick someone out.

LB - Only the top two on the list have been signed.

So, as far as the areas of need go, there still are plenty of players available that would be an upgrade to what we have, including many that our new DC knows very well. I don't think it is time to call the free agency season a bust just yet.

Isn't it always time to panick???

Trajan

Reaction score
Panic? Why would anyone panic now ? We have a quarter decade of meh. The people who panic are those who expect a deep playoff run, and this team underperforms again after we load up on meh defensive players and rookies.

Aven8

Reaction score
Would just be nice to know what the plans are with Quinn and what he likes. Dline and secondary is a must. Can’t expect that to be filled when they generally go BPA. Need to start some time. We cannot go another year where all the FA’s are cut midseason.

We could improve today with DaQuan Jones, Clowney to replace Aldon, and a corner and safety. That’s hole filling. Expecting them to draft a 1T early is foolish.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's been the ceiling since Dak was in diapers.

You spend a lot of time going on about the latest symptoms, apparently expecting the disease is somehow going to heal itself. It's not.

You'll be complaining about someone else when Dak is gone, just like the anti-JG crowd after his departure. Life in Jerry's world.

You’re right in a lot of ways..

I know the problem but I’m stupid enough to see ways to win around the Jerry factor but we do stupid things like keeping Garrett for a decade and such.

dckid

Reaction score
The time to panic was years ago.

Now we're locked into mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Our Super Bowl is winning the division, possibly a wildcard, and then exiting the playoffs. That is our ceiling.
Correct. 8-8 forever.
Be careful, you will be labeled as a hater by some here. It is really hard for me to fathom how we get to a championship game now. SB win is not what I even think about anymore quite honestly. I just want the team to be able to compete for a chance to get to a SB.

dckid

Reaction score
Only for the Drama Queens is it time to panic. They've been panicking since about 12:05 Monday afternoon. It's been a hoot to watch.
haha. I knew you would chime.
Lowered expectations might be the more apt term. Panic would be if were a SB team and our QB would miss the year.
We are a perennial mediocre team. 26 years don't lie.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe 10 or 15 years ago I would panic, but I'm used to it now. We do nothing and just expect to hit on all draft picks. It's not worked, but the doofuses in charge are too stubborn to change their ways.

Washington signing Fitz probably won them the division anyways.

No it did not.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Maybe 10 or 15 years ago I would panic, but I'm used to it now. We do nothing and just expect to hit on all draft picks. It's not worked, but the doofuses in charge are too stubborn to change their ways.

Washington signing Fitz probably won them the division anyways.
the wft has the best roster in the division and that is how u win the division all fitz has to do is not turn the ball over

reddyuta

Reaction score

Our Super Bowl is winning the division, possibly a wildcard, and then exiting the playoffs. That is our ceiling.

yeah we are not winning the division with this pathetic Defense and pathetic DTs.we cant stop the run when it matters and we cant win close games because of it.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score

Stop the stupid expensive contracts, hire the best talent evaluator, put shackles on JJ and SJ, and then maximize any talent we can get from the draft.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
yeah we are not winning the division with this pathetic Defense and pathetic DTs.we cant stop the run when it matters and we cant win close games because of it.

The division is terrible though.. Let’s be real about that. We almost won it last year and surely we will be a little better than last year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
the wft has the best roster in the division and that is how u win the division all fitz has to do is not turn the ball over
LMAO

Do people really think this way? They have no talent anywhere except the DL.

Cowboys' fans desire to mimic a team that is terrible is crazy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Today is the official start of free agency, yet there is thread after thread and post after post about how we have blown it and ALL the good free agents are gone. So let's take a look at the positions of need.

S - Everyone agrees we need a Safety and it would be nice to get an impact one. In NFL.com top 100 list, they have Justin Simmons, Marcus Williams, John Johnson, Anthony Harris, Marcus Maye, Keanu Neal, Desmond King, XAVIER WOODS, Jaquiski Tartt, Jalen Mills, Cameron Sutton, Rayshawn Jenkins, Malik Hooker and Ricardo Allen. Of the guys ranked ahead of Woods, Simmons, Williams and Maye were franchise tagged. Johnson got a big deal...would have been a nice target. Right now, Anthony Harris, Keanu Neal, and Desmond King are available. Most of the others are as well, so it isn't like everybody is gone.

DT - Another huge need but not sure there are many great ones available. Dalvin Tomlinson was the highest rated and he was snapped up. The next ones out there are Shelby Harris, Ndamakang Suh, Sheldon Rankins, and Lawrence Guy. Harris was resigned by his prior team and the rest are available. Rankins was thought of as an Aaron Donald clone but that never happened. Suh is really the only one that would be an upgrade but he doesn't play hard all the time. You don't know what you are going to get from him.

CB - William Jackson signed for for 14m a year. Wasn't happening here. Shaquill Griffin 13m a year. Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, Kevin King, Troy Hill, CHIDOBE AWUZIE(signed), Richard Sherman, Brian Poole, Mike Hilton, Ronald Darby (13m!!!!), Bashaud Breeland, Mackensie Alexander, Michael Davis(8+ million). So 4 guys ranked higher than Awuzie are available and 5 after are. Still room to pick someone out.

LB - Only the top two on the list have been signed.

So, as far as the areas of need go, there still are plenty of players available that would be an upgrade to what we have, including many that our new DC knows very well. I don't think it is time to call the free agency season a bust just yet.
exactly no panic plenty targets left that fit our needs and then the draft..this happens yearly..kneejerk sky is falling poor attitude fans..

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
lol give me a break
They won the division last year with a carousel QB and gave Tampa Bay their toughest playoff game.

They will win the division because of their defense and enough offense now to get by now.

Let me guesss. The Cowboys are the real team to beat in the NFC East because we have Dak though right? lol

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
LMAO

Do people really think this way? They have no talent anywhere except the DL.

Cowboys' fans desire to mimic a team that is terrible is crazy.
I agree they barely won the east playing against our 3rd sting team and an eagles and giants team also ravaged by injurys, that sign they weren't that good..playing our 3rd string patched up OL as well as the eagles made them better, from a eye test but its fools gold..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They won the division last year with a carousel QB and gave Tampa Bay their toughest playoff game.

They will win the division because of their defense and enough offense now to get by now.

Let me guys. The Cowboys are the real team to beat in the NFC East because we have Dak though right? lol
I love how people act like them winning the division last year - at 7-9 mind you - matters. They won the division because of the Cowboys' injuries. That's it.

Yes, the Cowboys are the best team in the NFCE and it isn't close. They're the only team that can throw the ball.