Is it really time to panic?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What did you see last year makes you think that this year will be any different as of today?

Do you have faith that we'll draft a couple pro bowlers on defense? Do you think a bunch of rookies will be able to turn it around? I don't.

Quinn's scheme is better than Nolan's and players will be healthy. Well if they stay healthy on both sides of the ball.
This team was favored to win the division last year, before the wheels fell off with injuries starting game 1.

So no reason why they should not be considered to compete for the division title this season.
I won't get hyped up about it, but certainly not going to be a Debbie downer about it either. Need to see it on the field, and if the players actually are 100%, especially the OL.

So I will temper my enthusiasm more than usual. Or try to. :laugh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What did you see last year makes you think that this year will be any different as of today?

Do you have faith that we'll draft a couple pro bowlers on defense? Do you think a bunch of rookies will be able to turn it around? I don't.
Clearly fans don't always know the outcome in advance, and history has shown that every year is different.

Look at the Dolphins going from looking hopeless and having a 5-11 record in 2019 to 10-6 the next year.

Look at the Cowboys going from an abysmal 4-12 record with Romo missing most of the season in 2015, to 13-3 with Romo missing the entire season in 2016.

Additionally, the WFT didn't show any particular dominance with their 7-9 record last year. And while I admit Washington does appear to be on an upswing, look at the upswing Houston appeared to be on after going 10-6 and 2 rounds into the playoffs in 2019, and then going 4-12 in 2020. Clearly nothing is assured.

Besides, the very essence of athletic competition is overcoming obstacles. In my mind if a fan can only have hope when everything looks sunny they don't really grasp the nature of athletic competition.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Quinn's scheme is better than Nolan's and players will be healthy. Well if they stay healthy on both sides of the ball.
This team was favored to win the division last year, before the wheels fell off with injuries starting game 1.

So no reason why they should not be considered to compete for the division title this season.
I won't get hyped up about it, but certainly not going to be a Debbie downer about it either. Need to see it on the field, and if the players actually are 100%, especially the OL.

So I will temper my enthusiasm more than usual. Or try to. :laugh:
Quinn scheme will still have the same bum players in it. He's not going to have Legion of Boom talent.

Quinn is literally now known as the coach that blows huge leads now.

We might win the division if the division is historically bad again, but I don't see that happening two years in a row. I think we win 7 or 8 games and miss the playoffs because of defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Today is the official start of free agency, yet there is thread after thread and post after post about how we have blown it and ALL the good free agents are gone. So let's take a look at the positions of need.

S - Everyone agrees we need a Safety and it would be nice to get an impact one. In NFL.com top 100 list, they have Justin Simmons, Marcus Williams, John Johnson, Anthony Harris, Marcus Maye, Keanu Neal, Desmond King, XAVIER WOODS, Jaquiski Tartt, Jalen Mills, Cameron Sutton, Rayshawn Jenkins, Malik Hooker and Ricardo Allen. Of the guys ranked ahead of Woods, Simmons, Williams and Maye were franchise tagged. Johnson got a big deal...would have been a nice target. Right now, Anthony Harris, Keanu Neal, and Desmond King are available. Most of the others are as well, so it isn't like everybody is gone.

DT - Another huge need but not sure there are many great ones available. Dalvin Tomlinson was the highest rated and he was snapped up. The next ones out there are Shelby Harris, Ndamakang Suh, Sheldon Rankins, and Lawrence Guy. Harris was resigned by his prior team and the rest are available. Rankins was thought of as an Aaron Donald clone but that never happened. Suh is really the only one that would be an upgrade but he doesn't play hard all the time. You don't know what you are going to get from him.

CB - William Jackson signed for for 14m a year. Wasn't happening here. Shaquill Griffin 13m a year. Patrick Peterson, Xavier Rhodes, Kevin King, Troy Hill, CHIDOBE AWUZIE(signed), Richard Sherman, Brian Poole, Mike Hilton, Ronald Darby (13m!!!!), Bashaud Breeland, Mackensie Alexander, Michael Davis(8+ million). So 4 guys ranked higher than Awuzie are available and 5 after are. Still room to pick someone out.

LB - Only the top two on the list have been signed.

So, as far as the areas of need go, there still are plenty of players available that would be an upgrade to what we have, including many that our new DC knows very well. I don't think it is time to call the free agency season a bust just yet.
It's day 3 of fa, as Aaron Rodgers would say R-E-L-A-X

Sydla

Reaction score
It's day 3 of fa, as Aaron Rodgers would say R-E-L-A-X

Yes because as this franchise has shown, waiting out free agency has paid massive dividends for the roster and overall success of the franchise.

edmon

Reaction score
Panic is not about what is going on around us, but rather what is going on within us!

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand......

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes because as this franchise has shown, waiting out free agency has paid massive dividends for the roster and overall success of the franchise.
Sure there is reason to be skeptical based on the lack of free agent success in the past, but not to panic. All deals aren't done in the first 2 days

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Let's wait until fa is complete before making judgements. Outside of some bad teams with cap space, nobody has improved their teams all too much thus far.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure there is reason to be skeptical based on the lack of free agent success in the past, but not to panic. All deals aren't done in the first 2 days

I don't see many people "panicking". I see a lot of people frustrated over the fact these two nimrods keep doing things the same way as if what they've been doing for a few years now has paid dividends for the franchise.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let's wait until fa is complete before making judgements. Outside of some bad teams with cap space, nobody has improved their teams all too much thus far.

You literally could go back to the 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 offseasons and find the same comments probably from the same people.

And guess what? FA ends, the Cowboys dabbled, didn't really improve their roster and they come back the next year and do the same thing.

But sure, keep hoping that this year will be different. That this year, the Cowboys will wait it out and the bargain bin guys they sign actually turn into high level players that lock down a hole or two.

Good luck with that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see many people "panicking". I see a lot of people frustrated over the fact these two nimrods keep doing things the same way as if what they've been doing for a few years now has paid dividends for the franchise.
The topic was whether it was time to panic. All the guy you responded to said was to relax - indicating there isn't a reason to panic. He did not say there isn't a reason to be frustrated. I think we are all frustrated.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You literally could go back to the 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 offseasons and find the same comments probably from the same people.

And guess what? FA ends, the Cowboys dabbled, didn't really improve their roster and they come back the next year and do the same thing.

But sure, keep hoping that this year will be different. That this year, the Cowboys will wait it out and the bargain bin guys they sign actually turn into high level players that lock down a hole or two.

Good luck with that.
Although it didn't work out, I didn't hear many complaints last yr with McCoy, Poe, Aldon, Griffen. Outside of Aldon, they weren't bottom of the barrel signings.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good luck with that.
The one positive sign is that they made some actual efforts and spent some actual money last year (McCoy, Poe, Griffen, Dalton), although unfortunately they ended up being failed efforts. But maybe it at least indicates they are starting to see that free agents have a place in the mix.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
They've missed out on a couple of good trades, and could have replaced Anthony Brown with a cheaper, better CB (they still can, to be fair), but so far they've played it smart and safe. Not sure why Chris Jones is still on the roster, though.

Sydla

Reaction score
The topic was whether it was time to panic. All the guy you responded to said was to relax - indicating there isn't a reason to panic. He did not say there isn't a reason to be frustrated. I think we are all frustrated.

The implication and reason the post was made was the belief that people are panicking because the Cowboys haven't done much.

The correct response is that panicking is the wrong word to use to describe what some fans have been expressing here. The correct word is to describe what many fans are feeling is frustration.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the time to panic has long gone by. the time was when they extended Jason Garrett's contract.
Hey, here's a news story you may have missed ….

Cowboys Inform Garrett His Contract Will Not Be Renewed
Garrett posted a regular season record of 85-67 in nine-plus years as head coach
By Newy Scruggs and Frank Heinz • Published January 5, 2020 • Updated on January 6, 2020 at 6:43 am

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/...contract-will-not-be-renewed-reports/2283987/