Is it time to bench EZ?

Gary had his first decent game this season. Been terrible for most of it. EZ looks a lot bigger and physical this season. He hasn't gotten home but at least he is active. The interior DL has been mostly crap too. Von Miller barely plays. Lawrence and Houston deserve more chances but won't get it because Gary was a Jerry project. IMO the reps should go to EZ, Miller, Lawrence, Houston, then Gary. We know why that won't happen. Additionally Parker's "system" has been terrible. The whole DL is underperforming.
 
I know EZ has been getting some pressure, but he rarely makes plays or has much impact considering he is getting lots of playing time. I would like to see Lawrence and Houston get more of EZ's time on the field. I think EZ is too weak and light to be playing the edge so much. He might be a better fit to play LB.
So bench:facepalm:
 
I don't recall any EDGEs that needed to be "developed" and then evolved into an elite pass rusher. You might get a capable rotational player with a half-dozen sacks.

You can pretty much tell from a rookie EDGE's first handful of games which direction his trajectory is going to lead him.

In his first 775 snaps of his career, Eze had two and a half sacks.

In a way, he is a victim of circumstances. His skill set is more compatible with the 4-3 the Cowboys were using at the time he was drafted. The Cowboys would have been smarter to trade Eze instead of Osa.
 
I know EZ has been getting some pressure, but he rarely makes plays or has much impact considering he is getting lots of playing time. I would like to see Lawrence and Houston get more of EZ's time on the field. I think EZ is too weak and light to be playing the edge so much. He might be a better fit to play LB.
You watch our pass rush and you think EZ is the problem?
I'm not saying he's been good, but he's been the only decent player at Edge for us this season. He at least is getting some pressure. Lawrence and Houston have been horrible. I expect that from Lawrence honestly, it's going to take him some time. If I were grading our Edge guys I'd give EZ a C, Lawrence and Houston would be Ds or Fs. Gary is probably a D or F, and he's actually costing money. EZ is a solid rotational piece, maybe the only solid Edge player we've had so far this year.
 
who else is responsible for them performing or not? isn't everyone responsible and accountable for their own actions? is it not CPs fault that he sucks as a DC?
I’m a student of this NfL show…..and I know from a TV it looks easy but rookies or rookie coaches have to work to get to where they need to get. Jerry sold you a rookie DC and a one or two year DE is the norm. It’s not.
 
I know EZ has been getting some pressure, but he rarely makes plays or has much impact considering he is getting lots of playing time. I would like to see Lawrence and Houston get more of EZ's time on the field. I think EZ is too weak and light to be playing the edge so much. He might be a better fit to play LB.
Why? Gary just got a sack today. He reminds me of a spencer. Its sad that he can't get sacks from the strong side though.
 
Ask yourself this on some of the top defenses in football - would he even be on the squad?
 
As has already been mentioned, half this defense is made up of players who are developmental projects. Ezeiruaku, Barham, Lawrence, Revel…there are a lot of guys that needs snaps to develop.

What is a hard reality is this defense is not deep and it is dependent on a lot of guys who are young. We play a lot of rookies and second year guys, and we don’t have a lot of depth. And we are on our 4th DC in 4 years.

After 4 games, this is still not a very good defense no matter who’s playing. And we’re stuck needing to develop some guys who may make some bad plays as kid defenders.

At this point after about a fourth of the season, this is not a playoff team. But it can get better and perhaps sneak into the playoffs as a late developing team. A lot of football left.
 
No!

You have to develop these guys..

You don’t bench them..

Remember when 90% of this board gave up on Guyton?

Believe in player development….
So true. Out of the 250 some odd rookies drafted each year, maybe 20 of them are just plug and play at a high level.
 
He's gonna have to start showing up. He's not a rookie anymore, this defense NEEDS him to be a pass rushing threat. They have tried upgrading at DT to emphasize stopping the run but this is still a defense that has to be built on the pass rush. They will never be good enough to shut down offenses and limit yards/points. But they need rushers to get pressure and force turnovers.
 
IMO, a 3-4 defense has to blitz up the middle to get constant pressure. The OLine knows to watch both guys on the edges, so blitzing up the middle works more times than not. We need to hit those "A" gaps about 8 times a game, that creates a threat up the middle which opens up the edges.
Yes, a threat of the middle works wonders. That was the only way you beat Brady in his prime. Get right in their grill.

Everyone gets so hung up on edge rushers. Good ones are far and few between.

I say more blitzes in general.
 
no but we need Laewnce to get more snaps,why did we pick him in the 1st Rd to essentially bench him for the whole season? we would have been better off with Jacob Rodriguez instead if are planning to red shirt lawrence.
 
Overall pressure looked better today. Still not good, but progress has been made. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,123
Messages
14,668,875
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top