Is Jamaal Charles draft eligible this year?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1736200 said:
So, the JUNIOR, called you and told you this personally, huh? 'Cus I sure missed that tidbit in the papers.

FWIW, if he did come out early, he be lucky to sniff the bottom of the 3rd.

It was my mistake I was thinking it was his Sr. however if you feel the need for the smart ars remake feel free.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Charles is ok, he just has a bad case of the fumbles.........it's curable....remember Tiki?? He could replace Thompson IMO.......the only thing I didn't like was the comment he made, "I am going to make people forget Adrian Peterson".....He didn't live up to the hype.....

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1736201 said:
It was my mistake I was thinking it was his Sr. however if you feel the need for the smart ars remake feel free.

There's always the EDIT button.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1736206 said:
Charles is ok, he just has a bad case of the fumbles.........it's curable....remember Tiki?? He could replace Thompson IMO.......the only thing I didn't like was the comment he made, "I am going to make people forget Adrian Peterson".....He didn't live up to the hype.....

Yeah and Tiki didnt get that crap fixed until the last 2 or 3 years of his career.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I generally want to avoid drafting UT football players. I don't think it is a very good program they run there with respect to developing NFL-caliber talent.

The only player last year from UT that I would have drafted would have been Brian Robinson--but only as a 2nd day pick.

The only players I would draft on the current roster for UT are:
TE Jermichael Finley (but he is a So and probably won't come out for a couple of year; I think he will be a stud when he does)
DT Frank Okam (someone will probably reach for him based on his size and take him higher than I would)
LB Sergio Kindle (he is a So and won't be coming out, but when he does, he is an athletic freak that should be able to get on the field somewhere)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1736207 said:
There's always the EDIT button.

I acknowledge that I was wrong when joseephuss said Charles was a JR. and said as much shortly afterwards

“I have seen plenty of runs the the spread formation where he is taking it right up the middle. As for when he goes in the draft that would be anyone guess. If he comes out this season as joseephuss said he is a jr. In my opinion he should stay at UT another season to help himself

I guess you just did not bother to read it.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1736206 said:
the only thing I didn't like was the comment he made, "I am going to make people forget Adrian Peterson".....He didn't live up to the hype.....

Those 203yrds and 3TD's in the 4th on Sat helped.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Charles will be the steal of the draft , and I AM NOT a UT fan . He'll probably get drafted by Denver on day two and run for like 10 billion yards . He's gotten a raw deal in Texas losing 3 of his starting offensive linemen last season , and having a coach who couldn't play call his way out of a paper sack . He'll make somebody in the NFL a nice back .

hendog

Reaction score
If a picture is worth 1,000 words then what's this video worth?

Spin it anyway you want to but he's running hard "straight up the gut" and not afraid of contact. Just ask AJ hawk. I could care less if some of you want him. And that's MY OPINION. To me he brings a skill set to the table that our team is lacking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIe8WsB1KZ8

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jamal Charles has always reminded me of Julius. He's obviously got some raw talent and speed, he flashes every now and again and if you compile all those plays into one highlight reel he'll look really good ... but when you watch him week in and week out he just is kind of blah. He lacks some sort of intangible .. vision, balance, instincts ... that keeps him from being great.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
hendog;1736271 said:
If a picture is worth 1,000 words then what's this video worth?

Spin it anyway you want to but he's running hard "straight up the gut" and not afraid of contact. Just ask AJ hawk. I could care less if some of you want him. And that's MY OPINION. To me he brings a skill set to the table that our team is lacking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIe8WsB1KZ8

He could either be:
A. A poor man's Bryan Westbrook

OR

B. A nice KR

It's hard to believe that he's 6'1"

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Didn't he get benched, or at least have his plays reduced a lot, after the OU game?

I wouldn't put any stock in any performance against Nebraska. They're awful and in total disarray right now. (I'm a fan.)

I'm with most of you guys -- Charles has great speed but he's not a good back. He fumbles, doesn't run with power, and just generally looks kind of... Wishy-washy out there. Hard to explain, but maybe you know what I mean.

I think at his best he might be Tatum Bell.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've thought a lot about Charles. I can understand the fumble concerns because I have them too. However, I go back to something else Parcells said about the question of MBIII starting. When asked why he didn't start MBIII he said, he seriously considered starting him but he didn't feel like he had that change of pace back that could come in and break something for you. He said that you really need two backs that can share the every down load in todays NFL but you also need that guy who can come in and hit a home run for you. A guy like we had in Morris.

Now, I think the problem here for many is that you view Charles as the guy who would come in and be the feature back. Fellas, we already have that guy in Barber. He's our feature back, like it or no. What we need is the guy who can come in and change it up. We need a guy who can take the ball to the house in a blink. Somebody who can be electric in the open field off the short dump off. To me, that's exactly what a guy like Charles could bring to the table. I dont' know if he will be a second round pick or a second day pick. All of this is pie in the sky until the season ends and the combines are completed. However, I'll tell you this. Right now, he's on pace to run for better then 1300 yards, 5.8 YPC, and 15 TDs.

That's not too bad at all considering the Texas OL this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
L-O-Jete;1736478 said:

I saw that but I also saw the OU game where Charles fumbled at the 4 yard line and even Charles has said he needs to improve on his ball handling when running in a crowd. I think if Charles can correct this he will have a good chance at making an impact in the NFL. At 6’01” he is not a small RB and is still young enough to add to his frame which he did add some during the off-season as he gave up running track to focus on football.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That is funny that ESPN doesn't have the fumbles stats for him. CBS sportsline does not have his fumbles listed, either.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1736612 said:
Just because you don't see any being given to the other team doesn't mean that he doesn't fumble........there is a difference in the speed of the NFL players reacting to a fumble versus the college players

I want to know what fumbles, I know the site is probably wrong, I don't follow College Football and the Highlights seemed interesting so I would like to know what is considered a fumble problem, how many does he actually have? How many per touch?

hendog

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1736386 said:
I've thought a lot about Charles. I can understand the fumble concerns because I have them too. However, I go back to something else Parcells said about the question of MBIII starting. When asked why he didn't start MBIII he said, he seriously considered starting him but he didn't feel like he had that change of pace back that could come in and break something for you. He said that you really need two backs that can share the every down load in todays NFL but you also need that guy who can come in and hit a home run for you. A guy like we had in Morris.

Now, I think the problem here for many is that you view Charles as the guy who would come in and be the feature back. Fellas, we already have that guy in Barber. He's our feature back, like it or no. What we need is the guy who can come in and change it up. We need a guy who can take the ball to the house in a blink. Somebody who can be electric in the open field off the short dump off. To me, that's exactly what a guy like Charles could bring to the table. I dont' know if he will be a second round pick or a second day pick. All of this is pie in the sky until the season ends and the combines are completed. However, I'll tell you this. Right now, he's on pace to run for better then 1300 yards, 5.8 YPC, and 15 TDs.

That's not too bad at all considering the Texas OL this year.

Nice explanation. That's what I was talking about as an explosive, change of pace back. Draws, screens, flairs out of the backfeild, split out. Not pounding the ball 30 times a game tween the tackles. That's MB3's job.

We need an infusion of real speed on this team on both sides of the ball.

joseephuss

Reaction score
L-O-Jete;1736658 said:
I want to know what fumbles, I know the site is probably wrong, I don't follow College Football and the Highlights seemed interesting so I would like to know what is considered a fumble problem, how many does he actually have? How many per touch?

Unfortunately none of the sports sites list his fumbles or any players from what I can see. Too many is my guess. I bet if we could get access to the number of fumbles to the number of touches, they would support that he is a fumbler. Even his supporters acknowledge that he is one. I don't like him on the first day, but he would be a decent pick on the second day. Although I prefer backs that have a stronger lower body for the pro-game. Charles has small legs much like Julius Jones. Emmitt Smith had thicker legs. I do agree that he would be brought in as the change of pace guy to Barber and not as a feature back.