Twitter: Is Jourdan Lewis overhyped?

khiladi

Reaction score
I think Kris Richard is overhyped, he's the one coaching these guys.
It's a little harder without Thomas, Chancellor, Browner and Sherman.
Not to mention the pressure the Seahawks generated.

Richard took over from Dan Quinn who also lived off Carroll. Gus Bradley was the first DC under Carroll and he also blew until Carroll got there. Bradley and Quinn have fielded trash defenses as HCs.

Blue64

Reaction score
Bet you I can name another 52 who are also over hyped.
This guy is like the rest of the Cowboys defense, stop you on 1st and 2nd and get torched on 3rd

stats don’t lie

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a gambler. He's the polar opposite of the rest of the defensive backfield. While they're all watching the receiver, allowing them to make the quick tackle and limit yards, Lewis watches the QB and tries to jump routes. This has made him succeptable to look offs and double moves. If he'd been a starter day one with a good coaching staff, I think he'd know when to gamble and when not to. As it is, I don't think he has any idea.

He has whiffed on many tackles and can't get off blocks by WRs...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see him more of an outside guy
Lots a great CB’s would not necessarily be great slot guys
One thing for sure, he gets more picks than the rest combined
Almost all CBs could get more picks if they gambled more.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best CB on the team. 24 and 31 don’t care enough about football. Lewis plays with an edge, by far the best ball hawk in the team, best tackler in the secondary. Guy is a player.
Wrong.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMN's version of Sturm has visual evidence of how bad Chido is in today's column. He went off on Jaylon as well.
They've put extreme pressure on Awuzie with the way they play coverage.

He is most often the boundary CB (side with only 1 WR). That is important because they roll the FS over to the side with 2 WRs.

They don't even give Awuzie help underneath on most snaps.

He is often completely isolated in coverage but he still plays good run defense.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I don't know why it happens, but fans of teams have a tendency of overhyping Player X just to make Player Y look worse than they are.

It kind of makes sense when comparing players from different teams, but I think the majority of the time it is done with two Players from the same team.

As far as Lewis. The guy can make plays. But also is not the biggest or quickest CB out there. If he was as athletic as Brown or as big as Byron, he would probably be that shutdown corner.

As of now though, IMO, he may never be a guy who can shutout everyone he faces every week, but he is capable of making defensive plays that not a lot of CBs can.

He's a guy every team can use even if he is never a superstar.
You hit it on him. He makes plays and gives them up. That’s the trade off...and it would work much more effectively if the others in front of him were balling out,but in this circumstance defenses will take their chances and attack his area. This whole defense is off kilter...it’s not a fair playing situation anymore for each individual in it. I don’t understand why it got to this point though? It’s 2011 bad dips,I get our player talent needs but come on...they have enough decent bodies to not be cellar dweller bad levels. Something happened with the staff...it has to be. From having Rod and Richards together is my guess. But I like Lewis,think he’s a great piece to keep for slot man stuff and spot duty. They get upgrades at S or CB,then he’s going to be fine.

SackMaster

Reaction score
You hit it on him. He makes plays and gives them up. That’s the trade off...and it would work much more effectively if the others in front of him were balling out,but in this circumstance defenses will take their chances and attack his area. This whole defense is off kilter...it’s not a fair playing situation anymore for each individual in it. I don’t understand why it got to this point though? It’s 2011 bad dips,I get our player talent needs but come on...they have enough decent bodies to not be cellar dweller bad levels. Something happened with the staff...it has to be. From having Rod and Richards together is my guess. But I like Lewis,think he’s a great piece to keep for slot man stuff and spot duty. They get upgrades at S or CB,then he’s going to be fine.
IMO, Talent as a whole is not the issue. Given this same exact roster with a coach that understands you can not run the same coverage 90% of the time, with very little attempts to disguise it on to of that, would help tremendously.

I would like to see some fresh faces at certain spots, but I imagine that guys like Lewis, LVE, Jaylon, ect would look a whole lot better if opposing offenses did not know what the defense was running before it is even called in.

You don't need superstars at every position to win at the NFL, but with our current coaching staff, that is what it would take (and even then it would be a big ?).

Number1

Reaction score
"Twitter: Is Jourdan Lewis overhyped?"

no, he's an excellent DB and ought to be playing FS

Jones and Awuzie are also excent DBs, and better outside CB than Jordan, so is Brown outside, or in the slot

they just are better CBs, that's no knock on Jordan

but he has crazy ball skills and takes good angles ... play making skills
I'd have played him at FS from day one. IMO, he's a natural FS, much as Jones is a natural RC.

I don't if the coaches will ever make the move, but now they are stuck with Jordan at SC ... he'll get better game by game. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't happen. He's a gamer.

*KRIS RICHARDS IS COMPLICIT IN WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE TEAM*

frankly, it's amazing to me they just didn't put their best guys on the field in the natural positions, Jones at RC, Brown at LC, Awuzie at SC, with Heath, Lewis, and Woods as Ss, and play press with man overall day, sometimes roll to cover 2 after the snap, use the speed to blitz from all directions ...

instead we get Jones and Awuzie 6 yards off the LOS on 3rd & goal ... that's just silly, almost insane

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Twitter: Is Jourdan Lewis overhyped?"

no, he's an excellent DB and ought to be playing FS

Jones and Awuzie are also excent DBs, and better outside CB than Jordan, so is Brown outside, or in the slot

they just are better CBs, that's no knock on Jordan

but he has crazy ball skills and takes good angles ... play making skills
I'd have played him at FS from day one. IMO, he's a natural FS, much as Jones is a natural RC.

I don't if the coaches will ever make the move, but now they are stuck with Jordan at SC ... he'll get better game by game. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't happen. He's a gamer.

*KRIS RICHARDS IS COMPLICIT IN WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE TEAM*

frankly, it's amazing to me they just didn't put their best guys on the field in the natural positions, Jones at RC, Brown at LC, Awuzie at SC, with Heath, Lewis, and Woods as Ss, and play press with man overall day, sometimes roll to cover 2 after the snap, use the speed to blitz from all directions ...

instead we get Jones and Awuzie 6 yards off the LOS on 3rd & goal ... that's just silly, almost insane

Lewis has taken horrible angles on tackle attempts this season.

Teams have run plays specific to iso Lewis and force him to make a choice right up near the line on specific run plays.

They bait him into going for the big play vs playing his assignment. One he jumps inside a blocker when he should have outside contain, the RB immediately keys on that and goes outside or vice-versa.

The Cowboys scheme (in past years) was focused on playing assignments. Maybe the RB gets 2 or 3 yards but a big gain. Lewis failure to at least re-direct RBs has caused some huge gains. It puts all defenders behind him out of position.