Twitter: Is Jourdan Lewis overhyped?

Number1

Reaction score
Lewis has taken horrible angles on tackle attempts this season.

Teams have run plays specific to iso Lewis and force him to make a choice right up near the line on specific run plays.

They bait him into going for the big play vs playing his assignment. One he jumps inside a blocker when he should have outside contain, the RB immediately keys on that and goes outside or vice-versa.

The Cowboys scheme (in past years) was focused on playing assignments. Maybe the RB gets 2 or 3 yards but a big gain. Lewis failure to at least re-direct RBs has caused some huge gains. It puts all defenders behind him out of position.

:) which is why he should be playing FS

put him in true read n run deep - near the LOS he's too aggressive

romonumberone

Reaction score
What has Lewis done that has been so great???? In a very small sample size he created 1-2 turnovers. Same thought process that people ran with last year and said Leighton was all world.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
We don't have a player issue with our D. We have a scheme issue.

When the scheme doesn't match what the player's skills are made for, then we get results such as this.

This scheme has never been changed for many years now. We have always gotten the same results regardless of players.

Time to dump the scheme, the playbook, the coaching staff and especially the coach. Once that happens things will start to improve around here.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think Kris Richard is overhyped, he's the one coaching these guys.
It's a little harder without Thomas, Chancellor, Browner and Sherman.
Not to mention the pressure the Seahawks generated.

Richard is not overhype. Its Marinelli's playbook and Garrett's team. If we had a new coach making sure that the assistant coaches does their thing and coach up these players, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Having a coach who doesn't do anything but clap, buttslap and spit is the reason what ails us. Garrett is out of his league when it comes to being a coach.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Richard is not overhype. Its Marinelli's playbook and Garrett's team. If we had a new coach making sure that the assistant coaches does their thing and coach up these players, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Having a coach who doesn't do anything but clap, buttslap and spit is the reason what ails us. Garrett is out of his league when it comes to being a coach.

Off of what are you making this assumption that Richards isn't overhyped? I've seen absolutely nothing outside of him moving Byron Jones to CB which half of this forum screamed about for years and seemed like one of the most obvious things in the world to do....literally what else has the guy done? I don't see any players getting better or developing in the secondary. Please elaborate on what makes Richards so great, I am genuinely curious...yeah Garrett sucks, we all know that but why hasn't anybody improved that Richards has been coaching?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Off of what are you making this assumption that Richards isn't overhyped? I've seen absolutely nothing outside of him moving Byron Jones to CB which half of this forum screamed about for years and seemed like one of the most obvious things in the world to do....literally what else has the guy done? I don't see any players getting better or developing in the secondary. Please elaborate on what makes Richards so great, I am genuinely curious...yeah Garrett sucks, we all know that but why hasn't anybody improved that Richards has been coaching?

Richard is not overhyped. He is a good DB coach and knows how to coach them up. Wasn't he one of the reasons why Byron Jones has become a success to begin with? If it weren't for Richard I think Jones would have been a bust.

The problem I see is with the scheme. Just like on offense, our defense relies on an oversimplistic gameplan. We don't hide what we do and we've been running the same defense each and every year. Or defensive scheme hasn't changed much and I think Richard's coaching style has to adapt to what the scheme is. This is the problem that Garrett has brought. Not only the offense hasn't changed much throughout the years. So has the defense. Its scaled, down predictable and really overly simplified to do a few things.

I watched other defenses. They force teams to audible and they disguise their coverage well. We don't do that at all.

So yeah, I blame Garrett for this mess. He had the chance to change it from the beginning and it's still the same.

TheHerd

Reaction score
They are playing him out of position.
Lewis isn't a slot cover guy.

he should be getting more of Chido's snaps on the edge. Not as big as Chido but significantly better ball skills and a more consistent tackler in run support as well.

JL can play. He's just not being used to his best skillset.
Par for the course

Mr_437

Reaction score
Lewis best position RCB
Chido best position SCB
Woods best position SCB

That's how I see these guys...out of position. McClay has to rebuild the secondary.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Richard is not overhyped. He is a good DB coach and knows how to coach them up. Wasn't he one of the reasons why Byron Jones has become a success to begin with? If it weren't for Richard I think Jones would have been a bust.

The problem I see is with the scheme. Just like on offense, our defense relies on an oversimplistic gameplan. We don't hide what we do and we've been running the same defense each and every year. Or defensive scheme hasn't changed much and I think Richard's coaching style has to adapt to what the scheme is. This is the problem that Garrett has brought. Not only the offense hasn't changed much throughout the years. So has the defense. Its scaled, down predictable and really overly simplified to do a few things.

I watched other defenses. They force teams to audible and they disguise their coverage well. We don't do that at all.

So yeah, I blame Garrett for this mess. He had the chance to change it from the beginning and it's still the same.

a good post.

don’t see many like this.

Firing Marinelli and promoting KRichard will fix this.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis is a talented CB, regardless of Kris Richard's opinion of him.

I'd say the least respected action he pushed was his downgrading of Lewis.

Whether Lewis' popularity was simply a fanciful notion or not is up for grabs.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a secondary player that isn't "overhyped"? I don't see anybody playing particularly well. I'm certainly not paying Byron Jones $14 million-plus a year for 0 interceptions and I'm not worried about replacing any of these secondary positions during the offseason. I'm not overly attached to anybody.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Is there a secondary player that isn't "overhyped"? I don't see anybody playing particularly well. I'm certainly not paying Byron Jones $14 million-plus a year for 0 interceptions and I'm not worried about replacing any of these secondary positions during the offseason. I'm not overly attached to anybody.

Our secondary situation is low key one of the biggest issues heading into the offseason.

B. Jones is set to make good coin (that I wouldn’t pay him) in FA.

A. Brown is also set to be a FA, and I’m willing to bet some team will offer him decent money and playing time.

Awuzie has been abused this season and I’m not sure he’s starter material though he may man a spot by default of the likely departures.

Lewis will be heading into a his 4th year and I don’t know how this team views him.

The safeties are equally a mess.

I don’t view Xavier Woods as a quality starter; he’s a liability as a tackler and middling in coverage.

Heath and Thompson are obviously upgradable.

sideon

Reaction score
They are playing him out of position.
Lewis isn't a slot cover guy.

he should be getting more of Chido's snaps on the edge. Not as big as Chido but significantly better ball skills and a more consistent tackler in run support as well.

JL can play. He's just not being used to his best skillset.
That can be said about so many players they've had for the last 10yrs.
Byron Jones is the one player you can't make a case for paying elite money to, because although not all elite CBs are Deion they at least are able to get INTs here and there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our secondary situation is low key one of the biggest issues heading into the offseason.

B. Jones is set to make good coin (that I wouldn’t pay him) in FA.

A. Brown is also set to be a FA, and I’m willing to bet some team will offer him decent money and playing time.

Awuzie has been abused this season and I’m not sure he’s starter material though he may man a spot by default of the likely departures.

Lewis will be heading into a his 4th year and I don’t know how this team views him.

The safeties are equally a mess.

I don’t view Xavier Woods as a quality starter; he’s a liability as a tackler and middling in coverage.

Heath and Thompson are obviously upgradable.

It turned around really quickly, didn't it?

In one season we went from what looked like a solid group to a bunch of guys I wouldn't miss if they were all replaced.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Byron Jones is the one player you can't make a case for paying elite money to, because although not all elite CBs are Deion they at least are able to get INTs here and there.

I'm not paying big money for a guy that doesn't make plays and doesn't get turnovers. Heck, I can get 0 interceptions on my couch.

And people can save it on the rest, at the end of the day, sacks and turnovers are what matters most on defense, and what gets guys paid and keeps them earning that pay. Oversimplifying? Yes. But facts all the same. Playmakers make plays.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did I miss something? Who has been hyping Lewis? Who has been hyping anyone in this secondary?

sideon

Reaction score
I'm not paying big money for a guy that doesn't make plays and doesn't get turnovers. Heck, I can get 0 interceptions on my couch.

And people can save it on the rest, at the end of the day, sacks and turnovers are what matters most on defense, and what gets guys paid and keeps them earning that pay. Oversimplifying? Yes. But facts all the same. Playmakers make plays.
Exactly, It's good to get pressure on defense but if the pressure isn't leading to sacks & turnovers then it's meaningless. Jones is going to have his hands full today because Cooks is a blazer and he can catch too.