Is Kellen Moore the Real Problem on Offense?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I repeat. Number one offense in the league in yards and points scored and the board is having a conniption.
Should have posted that 10 more times. :rolleyes:

Too bad that didn't help us against ANY good team last year, of course including the play off game vs. SF. Just because you're spanking the monkey every night doesn't mean you ever had one real score. ;)

phildadon86

Reaction score
Either Moore straight-up didn't have an answer for defenses double-teaming Amari Cooper last season, or his answers were on the bench with hurt RBs and a reshuffled O line.

The man deploys more offensive creativity in a week than Garrett did in a decade, and I give him tons of credit for that. But the cute OL pass patterns and WR throws don't work when the base shotgun 11 offense stalls out, and Moore didn't have a changeup for that.
Moore for some reason goes away from what is working. What happened to the pre snap motion during the first 7 games. It is like they changed the game plan for Cooper Rush when Dak was out, and then didnt go back to it. So odd. I noticed this the first year Moore was OC under Garrett. The first few games of the season there was pre snap motion, adjustments etc. Then it just stopped after the Cowboys road game at NO. Makes no sense

Whyjerry

Reaction score
We have all witnessed the struggle this team has toward the end of the season in recent years. While there will be people making their usual comments about Dak - and I challenge you to not and actually consider the question. There are contributing factors which cannot be answered by pointing at the QB.

Poor offensive line play
Injury
The wrong personnel being used

**There are those who suggest this team feasts on the under .500 teams solely. Defense has a hand in the final score. So this question(s) does ignore the defense and focus on offense, and I think, specifically Moore.

My opinion is the major factor of the offense stalling as the season progresses is Moore. It appears to me he gets stuck on plays - the WR screen just drives me crazy when you see it four times a half. And perhaps he is so married to his game plan he can't shift gears and make in game adjustments. All the clever things he does at times wander off his playbook page as he gets mired in a rut of a hand full of sets and plays.

Do you think he calls plays to the strength of his skill players?
Why doesn't Lamb fit the slant route to a Tee? And yet when was the last time you saw that with this team?

With two running backs, where is the clever play caller who gets both of them on the field at one time?
Fact is, where is the boy genius who devises a play that forces the defense to call a time out because they don't have the correct personnel?

When teams respond with defensive changes, have you seen Moore do anything to change his offense and take advantage of a defense?

I could be wrong about this, and expect the usual suspects will litter this thread with nonsense instead of taking the premise seriously.

But for those who actually like talking about the team and the particulars, and not just Dak hate and Zeke hate, what say you?
I think you are correct. Moore, like Garrett before him, has been sold as an offensive genius by Jerry and his marketing machine. The reality is Moore is a below average OC. Many agree by virtue of the fact his star has lost luster over the past couple years. He has stars at every position to work with on offense yet he can't formulate a consistent running game. His ability to handle pressure defenses is non existent. His red zone play calling is always suspect. For whatever reason he has decided to keep Dak in the pocket. He does many things that defy logic. I think the guy is terrible.

nobody

Reaction score
Should have posted that 10 more times. :rolleyes:

Too bad that didn't help us against ANY good team last year, of course including the play off game vs. SF. Just because you're spanking the monkey every night doesn't mean you ever had one real score. ;)

It's funny how some people will quote the number one offense thing so often even when almost all of that was racked up against the worst division opponents in the NFL as if that didn't skew the numbers. Stats are for losers.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Clearly the understanding is there. You just get blinded with your love of your hero Zeke.

Dude you need to move on from this "hero" crap. It's you that is blinded because I have probably posted 50 times that I thought Zeke should have sat for that injury. In fact I posted during the season that I was concerned that they were compromising his long term career by running him out there with what I knew then was more than just a "bone bruise" as they claimed back then. The next time Zeke fills out a lineup card for the Cowboys will be the first. No matter how many times you repeat this inane fallacy that he puts himself on the field and also calls his own number to run the ball it's never going to be true. It just make you look like an idiot for spewing it.

75boyz

Reaction score
It's funny how some people will quote the number one offense thing so often even when almost all of that was racked up against the worst division opponents in the NFL as if that didn't skew the numbers. Stats are for losers.

Yeah, totally agree..
But whether its stats or other topics, things are often put into blanket absolutes here without considering context.

The Number 1 offense stat guys are hilarious. Then do a quick comparison of what opponent was played and their stats are more revealing.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
But I thought it was Wade, the Garrett, then every other OC.

What it really is is the fact that players can bypass the coaches and go and complain to Jerry so the coaches have no hand in dealing with players.

Jerry Jones and the culture he created is the reason for continued failures at the end of the year when players have no reason to continue to play hard if they are not self motivated players.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Not only that. Washington had their third tier team on the field and Philly had practically every starter sitting on the sidelines in their respective second games against us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dude you need to move on from this "hero" crap. It's you that is blinded because I have probably posted 50 times that I thought Zeke should have sat for that injury. In fact I posted during the season that I was concerned that they were compromising his long term career by running him out there with what I knew then was more than just a "bone bruise" as they claimed back then. The next time Zeke fills out a lineup card for the Cowboys will be the first. No matter how many times you repeat this inane fallacy that he puts himself on the field and also calls his own number to run the ball it's never going to be true. It just make you look like an idiot for spewing it.

FYI..........I try to read as little of your Zeke drivel as possible. I dont follow you around the board. The ones I do read EVERY time you blame Zeke for NOTHING. Those are the ones I respond to.

If you agree Zeke should have been benched, then you are blind if you dont hold Zeke liable to some degree. Again, blame Zeke for nothing.

On the other side of the coin. You could be looking like an idiot for not realizing that Zeke is worried about Zeke. How else can you explain that he wanted to play 3 quarters of the meaningless Philly game last year on an injured knee just so he could get to 1000 yards? Knowing full well that he had to carry a full load next week against SF?

And no, its not ONLY the coaches job to rest Zeke. Although I filly get that the coaches should have benched him regardless of if he wanted to play. On some level, Zeke should know he will be better with more rest for the playoffs.

Now if you want agree that Zeke is just a complete idiot we can do that. But it still doesnt absolve him of his duty to the team to be as rested as possible for the playoffs.

And FYI............Dak did the same thing. Dak wanted to play so he could get his 37th passing TD and break the Cowboys all time record. ANOTHER selfish and stupid move along with Zeke.

But as you pointed out, this was obviously agreed to and laid out by the coaching staff. Moore had to be in on it making sure Dak was passing for TD's ect...ect......

Another example of the CC atmosphere in Dallas.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
FYI..........I try to read as little of your Zeke drivel as possible. I dont follow you around the board. The ones I do read EVERY time you blame Zeke for NOTHING. Those are the ones I respond to.

If you agree Zeke should have been benched, then you are blind if you dont hold Zeke liable to some degree. Again, blame Zeke for nothing.

On the other side of the coin. You could be looking like an idiot for not realizing that Zeke is worried about Zeke. How else can you explain that he wanted to play 3 quarters of the meaningless Philly game last year on an injured knee just so he could get to 1000 yards? Knowing full well that he had to carry a full load next week against SF?

And no, its not ONLY the coaches job to rest Zeke. Although I filly get that the coaches should have benched him regardless of if he wanted to play. On some level, Zeke should know he will be better with more rest for the playoffs.

Now if you want agree that Zeke is just a complete idiot we can do that. But it still doesnt absolve him of his duty to the team to be as rested as possible for the playoffs.

And FYI............Dak did the same thing. Dak wanted to play so he could get his 37th passing TD and break the Cowboys all time record. ANOTHER selfish and stupid move along with Zeke.

But as you pointed out, this was obviously agreed to and laid out by the coaching staff. Moore had to be in on it making sure Dak was passing for TD's ect...ect......

Another example of the CC atmosphere in Dallas.

Repeat until you're blue in the face.. It's still never going to be true. I should also point out that the starters on offense played the Philly game looking for some form of rhythm after stinking up the joint for most of the AZ game the week before. While I am sure the milestone thing was on their minds to some degree, the #1 goal was to try getting back in sync heading into playoffs. I don't know why you're so locked in on repeating the fallacy that Zeke put himself in the line up, called his own plays and handed himself the ball but carry on. That level of stupid is not something that I am interested in challenging.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Repeat until you're blue in the face.. It's still never going to be true. I should also point out that the starters on offense played the Philly game looking for some form of rhythm after stinking up the joint for most of the AZ game the week before. While I am sure the milestone thing was on their minds to some degree, the #1 goal was to try getting back in sync heading into playoffs. I don't know why you're so locked in on repeating the fallacy that Zeke put himself in the line up, called his own plays and handed himself the ball but carry on. That level of stupid is not something that I am interested in challenging.

I never said he put himself in the lineup. Those are YOUR words. Stupid words by you certainly.

I said Zeke should have sat out on his own not just THAT week, but other weeks. But he didnt want to for selfish reasons.

But lets look at the bottom line here. You and I have been arguing for several years on the level of RB Zeke is. You consistently claim he is a top 5 back. I laugh and tell you he isnt even top 10.

As this list and other lists have shown, most people agree with me. IN fact, the ONLY people that agree Zeke is still in the top 5 is a handful of homer Cowboy fans. LOL

When it comes to Zeke, you have been proven dead wrong. It is LAUGHABLE to think Zeke is still a top 5 back.

817Gill

Reaction score
No, the real problem last year wasn't the offense.

Moore may have struggled some in the playoffs, but he's the most talented OC we've had in a long time.

Who was better?

Actually, not true.

We beat the snot out of teams who blitzed. We were figured out as the season went on. When teams stopped blitzing, we lost.

At least know what you're talking about if you're going to diss on Moore.

I guess you never read couch coaches post. It's the exact opposite of what you're saying. We started struggling when teams stopped blitzing us.

Did the Broncos Reveal the Blueprint to Stopping the Cowboys' Offense? - D Magazine

Beautiful, just beautiful. Was gonna respond to that post as well but there’s no need now.

Surprising how some people can be so confident yet 100% wrong. Lol literally that couldn’t have been any farther from the truth.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Is this the same "Dakota" who lit up Belichik for like the biggest output his defense had ever given up? I have heard he's a decent DC. But maybe I heard wrong? Asking for a friend.
Yep, the same dude who went up against the WILD CARD 9ers and got his butt handed to him, yep that's TOAD HUNTER!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I never said he put himself in the lineup. Those are YOUR words. Stupid words by you certainly.

I said Zeke should have sat out on his own not just THAT week, but other weeks. But he didnt want to for selfish reasons.

But lets look at the bottom line here. You and I have been arguing for several years on the level of RB Zeke is. You consistently claim he is a top 5 back. I laugh and tell you he isnt even top 10.

As this list and other lists have shown, most people agree with me. IN fact, the ONLY people that agree Zeke is still in the top 5 is a handful of homer Cowboy fans. LOL

When it comes to Zeke, you have been proven dead wrong. It is LAUGHABLE to think Zeke is still a top 5 back.

Zeke was easily a top 5 back before he got hurt in 2021. That much really isn't open for debate because the numbers spoke for themselves. He was on pace for 1600+ yards, averaging > 5 ypc and being the engine for the offense. No he was NOT a top 5 or even top 10 back after his injury. This isn't some newsflash. Again.. his job is to show up for work during the week and suit up on game day. It's the job of the coaches and trainers to sit him if he is hurting the team. I will never bang on a player for wanting to play. This game is too painful and too dangerous to act like guys are just waltzing out there looking for glory. Zeke took pride in playing in every game and pride in getting to a thousand yards despite playing 70% of the season on one leg. You wanna get mad at him for doing so go right ahead.. I aint goin there with you.. ever.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yep, the same dude who went up against the WILD CARD 9ers and got his butt handed to him, yep that's TOAD HUNTER!

Nobody is going to deny Dak played worse after coming back from the calf injury. By the way, didn't the WILD CARD 49ers send Aaron Rodgers home too? And came within one dropped INT of sending the Rams and their all star team home as well. So maybe Rodgers and Stafford belong in the same flat bottom aluminum fishin boat as Dak? The 49er defense held Rodgers and Co to 10 points and Stafford and his bunch to 20. Seems like Dak and the Cowboys did as much damage to that unit as anybody..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke was easily a top 5 back before he got hurt in 2021. That much really isn't open for debate because the numbers spoke for themselves. He was on pace for 1600+ yards, averaging > 5 ypc and being the engine for the offense. No he was NOT a top 5 or even top 10 back after his injury. This isn't some newsflash. Again.. his job is to show up for work during the week and suit up on game day. It's the job of the coaches and trainers to sit him if he is hurting the team. I will never bang on a player for wanting to play. This game is too painful and too dangerous to act like guys are just waltzing out there looking for glory. Zeke took pride in playing in every game and pride in getting to a thousand yards despite playing 70% of the season on one leg. You wanna get mad at him for doing so go right ahead.. I aint goin there with you.. ever.

BWAAAAAA!!!!! Pollard was leading the NFL in ypc at 6.5 during that same time. Zeke wasnt even the best RB on his own team.

What was Zeke's average the 2nd half of the year when the Oline went in the toilet? Something pathetic like 3.2 ypc. OUCH!!!!!

And oh man!!!! That 31 yards on 12 carries and no scores in the biggest game of the year, what a perfomance!!! LOL

What is that a whopping 2.58 ypc? Spectacular!!!

Good thing the idiot went for 20 carries in a meaningless Philly the week before so he could get his meaningless 1000 yard goal. The one he couldnt get in 2020.

Didnt you say that all the way up until 2021 Zeke was a top 5 back in the NFL?

Sure buddy. You guru you.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You mean the same QB that had 280 yards and 2 TD's?

Or do you mean the guy that had 172 yards, no TDs and a pick?

Which one got their butt handed to them that day?

Or do you mean the RB that had 31 yards on 12 carries and zero TD's?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nobody is going to deny Dak played worse after coming back from the calf injury. By the way, didn't the WILD CARD 49ers send Aaron Rodgers home too? And came within one dropped INT of sending the Rams and their all star team home as well. So maybe Rodgers and Stafford belong in the same flat bottom aluminum fishin boat as Dak? The 49er defense held Rodgers and Co to 10 points and Stafford and his bunch to 20. Seems like Dak and the Cowboys did as much damage to that unit as anybody..

The best part is that Garrappolo threw for 170 yards, no TDs and a pick. LOL

Dak clearly outplayed him. And he didnt have a 170 yard, 2 TD rushing attack to help him out.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
BWAAAAAA!!!!! Pollard was leading the NFL in ypc at 6.5 during that same time. Zeke wasnt even the best RB on his own team.

What was Zeke's average the 2nd half of the year when the Oline went in the toilet? Something pathetic like 3.2 ypc. OUCH!!!!!

And oh man!!!! That 31 yards on 12 carries and no scores in the biggest game of the year, what a perfomance!!! LOL

What is that a whopping 2.58 ypc? Spectacular!!!

Good thing the idiot went for 20 carries in a meaningless Philly the week before so he could get his meaningless 1000 yard goal. The one he couldnt get in 2020.

Didnt you say that all the way up until 2021 Zeke was a top 5 back in the NFL?

Sure buddy. You guru you.

That's a lotta typing to say blah blah blah..