Is Kellen Moore the Real Problem on Offense?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
You mean the same QB that had 280 yards and 2 TD's?

Or do you mean the guy that had 172 yards, no TDs and a pick?

Which one got their butt handed to them that day?

Or do you mean the RB that had 31 yards on 12 carries and zero TD's?
Ha-Haaaaa, yep the same dude who couldn't do squat against the 9ers while the 9ers went into their prevent D because they had control of the GREAT TOAD HUNTER! The GREAT TOAD HUNTER always gets his CHEAP yards against good teams because when the game mean something TOAD BOY is no where to be found!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Nobody is going to deny Dak played worse after coming back from the calf injury. By the way, didn't the WILD CARD 49ers send Aaron Rodgers home too? And came within one dropped INT of sending the Rams and their all star team home as well. So maybe Rodgers and Stafford belong in the same flat bottom aluminum fishin boat as Dak? The 49er defense held Rodgers and Co to 10 points and Stafford and his bunch to 20. Seems like Dak and the Cowboys did as much damage to that unit as anybody..
Seriously, you're going there?????? Because the 9ers beat Green Bay, it makes it okay that Dakota lost to them???????????? Dakota looked and played like crap most of the 2nd half of last season and when he had another opportunity to show his leadership, he never showed up. Dakota has his best games against toads and struggles against average teams, it's truly ridiculous how people think he's going to take this team anywhere because he's not.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Seriously, you're going there?????? Because the 9ers beat Green Bay, it makes it okay that Dakota lost to them???????????? Dakota looked and played like crap most of the 2nd half of last season and when he had another opportunity to show his leadership, he never showed up. Dakota has his best games against toads and struggles against average teams, it's truly ridiculous how people think he's going to take this team anywhere because he's not.

I am confused.. How did the Packers TEAM lose to the 49ers but Dak lost by himself. How does that work? Nobody ever said it was "okay" to lose to any team. However morons acting as if the 49ers were some joke of a team need to explain to me how they held the great Aaron Rodgers to 10 points while that scrub Dak Prescott hung 17 on them...

Oh and his best games against toads? Weird cause Dak faced playoff teams 7 times in 2021 regular season.. Tampa, Philly (twice), New England, KC, Vegas and AZ. The Cowboys were 3-4 in those games. Here's the fun part. Dak had a 100+ passer rating in all of them except KC. 101.4 against Tampa, 108.7 against New England, 143.3 and 151.8 against Philly, 106.2 against Vegas and 105.8 against AZ. He went for at least 3 TDs in 5 of those games. Then he went over 400 yards twice (Tampa and NE) and hit 375 in another (Vegas.) Those are some pretty good numbers for a guy who is allegedly "struggling." Nobody is claiming Dak is perfect.. but frankly I don't care where these moron talking heads have him ranked. I can see for myself that he's good enough for this team to win the whole thing .. Yes he has room to grow.. And given how much he has already grown I am excited to see where he can go..

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Moore for some reason goes away from what is working. What happened to the pre snap motion during the first 7 games. It is like they changed the game plan for Cooper Rush when Dak was out, and then didnt go back to it. So odd. I noticed this the first year Moore was OC under Garrett. The first few games of the season there was pre snap motion, adjustments etc. Then it just stopped after the Cowboys road game at NO. Makes no sense

Bingo! Moore remembers everything Garrett taught him. I hope Garrett also taught him how to get fired. :thumbup:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Bingo! Moore remembers everything Garrett taught him. I hope Garrett also taught him how to get fired. :thumbup:
I doubt it. Garrett wasnt fired. He wasnt renewed. Probably still goes to the Jones' for Thanksgiving

leeblair

Reaction score
We have all witnessed the struggle this team has toward the end of the season in recent years. While there will be people making their usual comments about Dak - and I challenge you to not and actually consider the question. There are contributing factors which cannot be answered by pointing at the QB.

Poor offensive line play
Injury
The wrong personnel being used

**There are those who suggest this team feasts on the under .500 teams solely. Defense has a hand in the final score. So this question(s) does ignore the defense and focus on offense, and I think, specifically Moore.

My opinion is the major factor of the offense stalling as the season progresses is Moore. It appears to me he gets stuck on plays - the WR screen just drives me crazy when you see it four times a half. And perhaps he is so married to his game plan he can't shift gears and make in game adjustments. All the clever things he does at times wander off his playbook page as he gets mired in a rut of a hand full of sets and plays.

Do you think he calls plays to the strength of his skill players?
Why doesn't Lamb fit the slant route to a Tee? And yet when was the last time you saw that with this team?

With two running backs, where is the clever play caller who gets both of them on the field at one time?
Fact is, where is the boy genius who devises a play that forces the defense to call a time out because they don't have the correct personnel?

When teams respond with defensive changes, have you seen Moore do anything to change his offense and take advantage of a defense?

I could be wrong about this, and expect the usual suspects will litter this thread with nonsense instead of taking the premise seriously.

But for those who actually like talking about the team and the particulars, and not just Dak hate and Zeke hate, what say you?
While I think Kellen Moore is still the best quarterback on the Cowboys roster, and I believe that he is a gifted coach,
I think his offense lacks the power run game that demoralizes opposing defenses. Now, this is likely due to Jerry's enamoration with the passing attack, but Kellen should demand a more purposeful use of the running game.
However, that does not address the problem with the offense that comes with having a quarterback who freezes up in big games and pressure packed situations. Dak freezes up every time a pressure packed situation arises and then only moves the offense when the team is too far behind to catch up.
BUT, if Kellen acknowledges this problem he can limit Dak's exposure early and use the power run game until Dak is ready to get in the game.
OR, the Cowboys could go after Jimmy Garapolo and have a real quarterback to lead the team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's an unsolved and still unexplained mystery to me. Through 6 or 7 games last year the offense had the balance and look of the 2016 style of power running mixed with opportunistic shots taken down the field.
I was actually fooled.
Then Denver happened.

And something between the OC, RB, QB and OL was never the same. The reports for the decline included injuries to the RB and QB, and the OL shuffling pieces around and Moore's inability to adjust. Or maybe all of the above.

I prefer that running style offense to return.
The one that resembled the 2016 model and temporarily fooled me. It's the only way this team can genuinely achieve success.

Moore's got a role in returning them to that style, but he needs all the others mentioned to do their jobs as well.

Injuries and suspensions are NOT a Mystery. OC and HC changed the style to try and cover up those deficiencies. they didn't adjust well..add in record numbers of penalties and mystery's solved. hopefully they learned from last season even with good year to adjust better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's a lotta typing to say blah blah blah..

Alott facts in there. I agree with most of the fan base and the pundits lists that Zeke is not even in the top 10 of backs. Or you could say they finally all agree with me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ha-Haaaaa, yep the same dude who couldn't do squat against the 9ers while the 9ers went into their prevent D because they had control of the GREAT TOAD HUNTER! The GREAT TOAD HUNTER always gets his CHEAP yards against good teams because when the game mean something TOAD BOY is no where to be found!

You mean the same QB that passed for over 400 yards against Belli on the road in NE? Was the first QB in 15 years to do that one. Game winning overtime TD to Lamb? That guy?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Let's put it this way. If Moore became the Cowboys HC, he'd be Garrett's twin clone. He sux!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The ones that need the problem to be Dak will "Ignore" what they need to to make it Dak and the ones that dont like the OC (Im not sold myself)..will make it the OC....THE TRUTH is they all share in this even our HOF RG has the exact same record as everyone else on the team and offense. They all saw opposing defenses start to sit in umbrella zones and stop the run with 5 and 6 man fronts While acting as if it was just a midseason glitch. They all looked out of sync and basically lost when good defenses made them get around a very basic set."Full cover and pinch the 0-1 gaps boys and lets call it a day"

75boyz

Reaction score
Injuries and suspensions are NOT a Mystery. OC and HC changed the style to try and cover up those deficiencies. they didn't adjust well..add in record numbers of penalties and mystery's solved. hopefully they learned from last season even with good year to adjust better.

Overall team health kept improving until the playoffs as to be considered the healthiest playoff team entering the playoffs. The same people who lack the obvious proper adjustment skills are still in charge.

The after the fact blame of Zeke and Dak injuries and of course Tyrons yearly game absences does not justify poor performance.

Using the injury excuse for 2020's overall team performance is more acceptable but ultimately injuries will be a part of every team every year.
Last year's overall team health should have yielded more on the field success.

I do not believe this season's overall team health will be as good as last year's by playoff time and I consider last year just another in a long list of years of blown opportunities.

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Overall team health kept improving until the playoffs as to be considered the healthiest playoff team entering the playoffs. The same people who lacked the obvious proper adjustment skills are still in charge.

The after the fact blame of Zeke and Dak injuries and of course Tyrons yearly game absences does not justify poor performance.

Using the injury excuse for 2020's overall team performance is more acceptable but ultimately injuries will be a part of every team every year.
Last year's overall team health should have yielded more on the field success.

I do not believe this year's overall team health will be as fortunate as last year's by season's end and I consider last year just another in a long list of years of opportunities blown.

Very True if we are as healthy at the end of this season it will be luck.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
While I think Kellen Moore is still the best quarterback on the Cowboys roster, and I believe that he is a gifted coach,
I think his offense lacks the power run game that demoralizes opposing defenses. Now, this is likely due to Jerry's enamoration with the passing attack, but Kellen should demand a more purposeful use of the running game.
However, that does not address the problem with the offense that comes with having a quarterback who freezes up in big games and pressure packed situations. Dak freezes up every time a pressure packed situation arises and then only moves the offense when the team is too far behind to catch up.
BUT, if Kellen acknowledges this problem he can limit Dak's exposure early and use the power run game until Dak is ready to get in the game.
OR, the Cowboys could go after Jimmy Garapolo and have a real quarterback to lead the team.
you still hanging on to that kellen "interception" moore is a good QB....a fool always remains a fool

go ahead and have a drink on me. I will pay

75boyz

Reaction score
Very True if we are as healthy at the end of this season it will be luck.

Exactly. Yep, imo ya couldn't blame it on team health or defense last year for the playoff performance. Those 2 things have been blamed by many over recent years for the lack of success.

jmo

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Exactly. Yep, imo ya couldn't blame it on team health or defense last year for the playoff performance as so many have done over recent years.

jmo

Now health no but giving up over 150 rushing yards in yet another playoff game is very much a top reason we lost.

75boyz

Reaction score
Now health no but giving up over 150 rushing yards in yet another playoff game is very much a top reason we lost.

The first drive of first half drive for sure and a few untimely run dee breakdowns in the second half but...
At "some point" the offense does need to carry their share of team responsibility.

23 points is not terrible and especially when one was off Daks pick.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The first drive of first half drive for sure and a few untimely run dee breakdowns in the second half but...
At "some point" the offense does need to carry their share of team responsibility.

23 points is not terrible and especially when one was off Daks pick.

Sure the offense is also to blame but the defense allowed 169 yards at nearly 5.5 ypc and 33 minutes of TOP...thats hardly pointing towards a win in a playoff game that everyone knew comming in if they could make the other QB beat them it would give us the best chance.

75boyz

Reaction score
Sure the offense is also to blame but the defense allowed 169 yards at nearly 5.5 ypc and 33 minutes of TOP...thats hardly pointing towards a win in a playoff game that everyone knew comming in if they could make the other QB beat them it would give us the best chance.

Bro, your response is totally solid and you and I have an excellent posting history so I respect your opinion.
While your points are true I guess I could easily counter that scoring 7 points at home thru 3 quarters of a playoff game with the so called stats based number 1 scoring offense left a lot to be desired.
In this particular case I'm just gonna stick with my old reliable opinion of "defense played good enough to win" while also respecting your opinion that they didn't.

No worries.