Is Kevin Smith The Best Runningback in the NFL DRAFT? (Be The Judge For Yourself)

CalCBFan

Reaction score
I'd like to get a back that had some experience in catching passes out of the backfield, picking up blitzes and blocking. I think he'd be fine in the 3rd or 4th rnd, as a bkup to MBIII, but in the pros, he's going to have to be able to catch a pass every now and then...

tunahelper

Reaction score
Rice is a beast, but the only concern in my mind is can he catch the ball well?

dooomsday

Reaction score
jackrussell;2026562 said:
Ahhhhh.....youtube scouting...gotta love it.

Yeah, I will just stick to Direct TV Scouting.

After watching the combine I have dropped Smith a few spots (fyi, in the event my draft board ends up on the "web".).

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;2026576 said:
Was going to post that but thought I'd let someone say it first.

Yep - everyone's an expert now...................:p:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sarge;2026582 said:
Yep - everyone's an expert now...................:p:
Breaking down the word expert.

Ex...a prefix meaning former, or used to be.

Spurt (alternate spelling)...is a drip under pressure.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
CalCBFan;2026542 said:
I'd like to get a back that had some experience in catching passes out of the backfield, picking up blitzes and blocking. I think he'd be fine in the 3rd or 4th rnd, as a bkup to MBIII, but in the pros, he's going to have to be able to catch a pass every now and then...

I'm not sure where you get that from. Kevin Smith is a good blocker and was very good at picking up blitzes. He was also quite good at catching the ball in stride when thrown to. In case you don't believe me (a person who has watched him in roughly seven games per year for the last three years), here is a blurb from NFL Draft Countdown:

"Soft hands and can catch the ball out of the backfield...An adequate blocker..Was extraordinarily productive."

Whoever you got that info from did not watch Kevin Smith play in very many live games. The only question he has coming out is his speed and level of competition. The competition question is valid, but he can only play who is on the schedule. I can tell you that he certainly plays faster than he times and he was not caught from behind often in a live game.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
dooomsday;2026570 said:
Yeah, I will just stick to Direct TV Scouting.

After watching the combine I have dropped Smith a few spots (fyi, in the event my draft board ends up on the "web".).

gotta love those combine RANKERS......

well I watched 3 of his games....one of them against my Longhorns....and the guy was quite studly. He ran with power and determination. He seemed to be able to find the hole with ease. He dispalyed good vision and nice burst through the hole.

I will admit that he does run high at times and takes a pounding....but at the same time, he seems to always come back for more. I think once he gets into the NFL he might want to run out of bounds a few times.

BHendri5

Reaction score
not even close.
Ray Rice is the guy you need to be watching

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BHendri5;2026655 said:
not even close.
Ray Rice is the guy you need to be watching

This makes me nervous. Everyone seems to be watching him now. McShay mentions him above Stewart now. Boylhart has him as the second best back in the draft.

I'm starting to think he won't be there at our pick in the second round. :mad: