Is Kevin Smith The Best Runningback in the NFL DRAFT? (Be The Judge For Yourself)

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
tomson75;2026915 said:
Ray Rice doesn't have breakaway speed...yet somehow runs faster than Kevin Smith. He might have something to say about that vision comment too.

Rice has a diffiiclut time getting past the safeties once hes in the secondary. They almost always track him down. If its not his speed its something else.

That being said just from looking at those clips, Smith seems to have decent speed agility and vision he just doesnt have the burst and second gear that I like to see.. id rather have a guy that can accelerate at will rather than a long strider that cannot regardless of how fast he is..

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2026976 said:
Rice has a diffiiclut time getting past the safeties once hes in the secondary. They almost always track him down. If its not his speed its something else.

That being said just from looking at those clips, Smith seems to have decent speed agility and vision he just doesnt have the burst and second gear that I like to see.. id rather have a guy that can accelerate at will rather than a long strider that cannot regardless of how fast he is..

I don't know why you even bother responding to my posts about Rice...you know we're not going to budge either way. :D

...and I hope you're not suggesting Rice is a long strider and is unable to accelerate???????????

lspain1

Reaction score
I am most definitely NOT an expert so my opinion ranks far below the "informed" opinions in this thread. That being understood I have a few questions.

What makes a great NFL back? Speed? Vision? Burst? The ability to make the first guy miss in traffic? Versatility? Heart?

I know enough to recognize I can't tell much by watching You Tube. I watched Julius Jones demonstrate how not to do things over the last two years. Living in Central Florida, I got to see Kevin Smith in a number of games. My assessment is that he, at a minimum, has vision, acceleration, and heart. I believe all of those things are necessary to be good back in the NFL. They are probably not sufficient to make him a "sure bet." It'll be interesting to see where he is selected.

playmakers

Reaction score
I dont know if hes the best but watching the 41 carry highlite this guy, to me, runs just like Corey Dillion.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
NO! He is a 2nd round pick. I give him a 50/50 chance to be a starter in this league and a 10/90 chance of being a part-time player. I think he's a pretty good ballplayer but he's not a star in this league.

Randy White

Reaction score
seem to forget that another Smith wasn't the best RB in his draft either. He wasn't the fastest, he wasn't the biggest, he wasn't the strongest, or the quickest. Hell, he might have dropped all the way to the second round if John Wooten hadn't conviced Jimmah Jenius to take a chance on him.

Yet all he did was win 4 rushing tittles, 3 Superbowls, and ended up with more yards than anybody in the history of the game.

Keep that in mind when you're assigning " grades " to Kevin.

:starspin

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
MBIII was a fourth round pick, Witten was a third round pick, and Romo was undrafted. They all went to the Pro-Bowl last year if I remember correctly. People tend to forget that we can only Draft two first rounders and if a running back isn't picked, then there will still be some great backs to be had in the second round. Kevin Smith would be a good pick.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Well, I certainly wasn't impressed with the UAB highlights. I watched the first two plays,and in both the UAB defense was pushed 7 yards back off the line, yet Smith was still tackled both plays by the first guy to enter the picture.

He's not the best RB in the draft...not even close.

For the record, these youtube videos of most rb's suck...they almost always open with a guy streaking down the field...BFD...show me a guy making defenders miss in the hole or lowering a shoulder and dragging someone 3 yards or powering through defenders into the endzone. Anyone with speed can motor 80 yards in the open field with hardly any moves...doesn't impress me.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doomsday Duck;2026807 said:
the Cowboys use 2 have a RB named Smith that ran a little upright, just couldnt tell as much since he was a little "short" for an NFL RB, and had a glide to his style.....lol ;)

Emmitt ran upright? :confused:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Is Kevin Smith The Best Runningback in the NFL DRAFT?

SM117~No-Farting-Symbol-Posters.jpg

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2027689 said:
Emmitt ran upright? :confused:

No, he didn't. Not even close.

Someone doesn't know wth he's talking about.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AsthmaField;2026743 said:
I don't think there's any way Rice makes it to our second round pick. Had the draft been a month ago, I don't think he would've made it there. IMO, he's been on the radar of NFL talent evaluators since the end of the season.

If we want him, I think we'll have to "bundle" (as Jerry says) and move significantly up in round two.

He's worth the pick. No need to get all cute about it, just pick 'em.

:star:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack;2027800 said:

He's worth the pick. No need to get all cute about it, just pick 'em.

:star:

I don't really disagree with that. While I do think he could last a few more picks and possibly a little into round 2... I think he's going to be good enough to pick at #28. The guy is going to simply make yards, first downs and touchdowns... even if he doesn't break a lot of "long" runs. Those will win plenty of ballgames.

Jerry mentioned last year that we are a team that is "close" and instead of quanity we need quality players. He said he made a mistake drafting for backups in the mid 90's and that he wished he had "bundled" picks to get guys that can make a difference.

That's one reason I think getting a RB to "compliment" Barber is stupid. Just get the best RB we can and let him compete for playing time with Marion.

Anyway, back to "bundleing". Most think about moving up in round 1 to get an impact player but it could be done in round two (or any other I suppose)as well.

We could use pick #22 and pick #28 on players we like and then using some later picks along with our second rounder "bundle" up to early in the second to take Ray Rice (assuming our scouts like him that much).

Or, we could "bundle" with our two #1's to move up for a player we really like and then "bundle" up in the second round for a player like Rice or someone else we really like.

There are many ways to go... but I agree with the general idea that we need quality and not quantity. Get fewer guys who are players we really think can help... Not a lot of low rounders that have little chance of making our talented roster.

Reaction score
Randy White;2027268 said:
seem to forget that another Smith wasn't the best RB in his draft either. He wasn't the fastest, he wasn't the biggest, he wasn't the strongest, or the quickest. Hell, he might have dropped all the way to the second round if John Wooten hadn't conviced Jimmah Jenius to take a chance on him.

Yet all he did was win 4 rushing tittles, 3 Superbowls, and ended up with more yards than anybody in the history of the game.

Keep that in mind when you're assigning " grades " to Kevin.

:starspin

Exactly... When I watch Kevin Smith run, I don't see anyone catching him from behind. I believe Emmitt Smith gave him an endorsement if I'm not mistaken.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2027913 said:
Exactly... When I watch Kevin Smith run, I don't see anyone catching him from behind. I believe Emmitt Smith gave him an endorsement if I'm not mistaken.

That's a ridiculous comment. Do you conveniently close your eyes every time he gets to the second level?