Is Lebron the goat?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I personally don't think so. Russell, Bird, Magic, Wilt, and Jordan would've owned him in their time.

According to most of the rankings I’ve seen he’s not but he’s ranked second to Jordan. Don’t think anyone would’ve “owned“ LeBron. He’s clearly the most dominant NBA player since Jordan.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LeBron is barely top ten.

Not according to most of the rankings he’s second all-time. ESPN has him ranked second all-time. It’s obvious that some fans ranking of LeBron is based on their dislike for him. There’s a fan on the board who doesn’t think Tom Brady is a top 10 all-time QB because he hates him so much.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29105801/ranking-top-74-nba-players-all-nos-10-1?platform=amp

erod

Reaction score
Not according to most of the rankings he’s second all-time. ESPN has him ranked second all-time. It’s obvious that some fans ranking of LeBron is based on their dislike for him. There’s a fan on the board who doesn’t think Tom Brady is a top 10 all-time QB because he hates him so much.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29105801/ranking-top-74-nba-players-all-nos-10-1?platform=amp

Players I've seen in my lifetime would rank like this:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Larry Bird
5. Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Allen Iverson
7. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
8. LeBron James
9. Shaquille O'Neal
10. Dirk Nowitzki
11. Scottie Pippen
12. Karl Malone

And that leaves out Wilkins, Duncan, Curry, Durant, Isaiha....

I never saw Wilt, Oscar, Maravich, Russell, Baylor, and others beyond film.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Players I've seen in my lifetime would rank like this:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Larry Bird
5. Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Allen Iverson
7. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
8. LeBron James
9. Shaquille O'Neal
10. Dirk Nowitzki
11. Scottie Pippen
12. Karl Malone

And that leaves out Wilkins, Duncan, Curry, Durant, Isaiha....

I never saw Wilt, Oscar, Maravich, Russell, Baylor, and others beyond film.

That’s your opinion. Never seen an expert ranking anywhere that had LeBron ranked that low. Your opinion has to be based partially on some dislike for him that has nothing to do with his ability as a basketball player.. Practically every ranking has him neck and neck with Jordan. CBS ranking has LeBron number 2 all-time.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ime-from-west-and-steph-to-lebron-and-mj/amp/

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If my Mavs had to face a 'Jordan in his prime' led team in 2011 they would still be without a title.
I love LeBron as a person ---though I hate he has decided to finish up his spectacular career in LA.
But he is not the GOAT.

I'd still argue reality is Wilt then Jordan then Kareem then LBJ.

Kobe. Magic, Duncan all enter convo about here.
Bird, Dirk probably round out the top 10 area thought you could look further back for sure to include Russell and guys from the 60s if you know the era well.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Everyone always mentions his athleticism, but forget Michael Jordan ran a 4.38, and had a 48 inch vertical. The fact that he dominated a load of HOF all time greats that were for the most part all bigger than he was speaks volumes. Not to mention he got those big scoring stats when hand checks, and physical defense was still allowed, and the league was built around a lot of dominant bigs. Jordan was finesse, Lebron is Le-brawn.

jnday

Reaction score
Sorry.

Russell, Bird, Magic - top three.
MJ, Labron, Wilt next three.
Labron doesn’t have the heart or drive of the all-time greats. He rarely rises to the occasion during big games and whines like a child constantly.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
He is the conversation, but M.J. is still on the top of my list.

I think he is in great conversation not greatest of all time conversation.

He lacked killer instinct early on. That hurt him.

Major, major kudos for coming back and beating golden state down 3-1? After the “this is a mans game “ comment. Saying he was going back to Cleveland to bring them a title. That’s Babe Ruth “calling the shot” stuff.

More, more kudos for Repeatedly getting his teams back to the finals.

But ultimately. Too many finals losses.
Further more, making excuses before finals start. Then losing.

I love the guy. He is a super freak, super athlete.

Its MJ, Kobe then maybe LeBron... but you could easily put one of the old timers as #3... even #2

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Recency bias. Anyone whose watched the NBA for the past 40 years knows Lebron is arguably top 5 at best.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Recency bias. Anyone whose watched the NBA for the past 40 years knows Lebron is arguably top 5 at best.

There is no bias just look at the all-time rankings Jordan and LeBron are one and two. Are all the experts wrong? You’re just giving YOUR opinion.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no bias just look at the all-time rankings Jordan and LeBron are one and two. Are all the experts wrong?

What makes someone an "expert"? This isn't a field that requires expertise which is how most folks at ESPN have jobs. .................lets see what they say in 20 years when fear offending Lebron isn't what it is today.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What makes someone an "expert"? This isn't a field that requires expertise which is how most folks at ESPN have jobs. .................lets see what they say in 20 years when fear offending Lebron isn't what it is today.

Someone who’s played, coached and followed the game for many years is an expert. There’s a reason they get paid to give their opinions. Most of the all-time rankings consistently have Jordan and LeBron one and two all-time. Do a Google and see for yourself. Everyone has an opinion but that opinion is consistent with most of the rankings.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Nope.

1. MJ
2. Wilt
3. Bill Russel
4. Magic
5. Kobe

Considering the amount of overlap in their careers, I think it's very easy to compare Kobe and Lebron and I have never seen anyone who isn't explicitly a Kobe fan, or someone who really dislikes Lebron make the argument that Kobe was better. To date, Lebron has averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, more blocks, more steals, shot better from the floor, better from three, more regular season MVPs, and more finals MVPs.

Kobe has more total rings, and more defensive first teams, but I just don't see an argument as to how he was better

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Lebron lost me when I was 20 years old and he made a spectacle out of "The Decision." Haven't been a fan of his since.

I think he's a freak athlete, one of the best pure athletes in the history of sports. But Jordan was lethal in Championship games and did it with a plethora of distractions. Lebron apologists are also quick to ignore the successes, accolades, and records guys like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain were able to eclipse. I think MJ was the GOAT for how much he did for the game of basketball. The NBA isn't what it is today without Michael Jordan. His 6 Championships in 8 years are just a convenient, extra arguing point.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it's pretty simple as far as being the GOAT. Take away Lebron's size and make him the same as Jordan's size...who's better?

Make Jordan the same size as Lebron..who's better?

Jordan wins both of those by a long shot.

Lebron is great due to his size and athleticism. There's never been someone thats as big as he is who is that athletic. Take away that and he's not even an all star.