CFZ Is McCarthy underperforming as much as Garrett?

Zman5

Reaction score
Is it possible we had a better future with Moore? Whose offense at least this far exceeded McCarthys.
Moore's offense was only top 3 scoring offense with Dak. It was 23rd with Rush, and 18th with Dalton. It's currently around 7th with Herbert and we'll have to wait and see how it ranks at the end of the season. It's obvious this "great" KM's offense only works "great" with Dak for whatever reason.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
These last 3 years most would argue MM has built a more talented roster while revamping the offense and building a top notch defense .

And we have had most fans who believe this is a much more talented team under McCarthy.

The fact we had our first back to back 12 win and consecutive playoff seasons since the 90’s would support as such.

But we still have come up short in the playoffs and why we made the change to begin with.

This isn’t just about our QB and I warn you not to make it about it. There are ample threads for that discussion.

The Cowboys and McCarthy used Moore last year as a scapegoat after we had one of the top offenses not only in Redzone but overall . He totally revamped our offensive scheme which was already being called out while we were blowing out lesser opponents.

Now we apparently had built a defense which was hyped or sold as becoming one of the top in the league. Which had already fallen flat on its face in two of our 5 games.

At what point can we argue that McCarthy is doing less with more? Unless we are backing off this is a much more talented team than Garrett had ?

I was suspect of his playcalling and game day Mgmt before this game and season but the overall vibe was he is a difference maker and we’re in a much better place which there was some evidence to support .

I guess my overall question is this. Is McCarthy doing less with more than Garrett did?
MM is a great HC, but a terrible offensive coordinator. These things can be true at the same time.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I understand. But is McCarthy doing more with less or less with more?
This roster is not as good as the organization believes and has led others to believe.

This is not the best version of Dak
Cee Dee is not as good as Dez
Pollard is not as good as Zeke
The TEs we have are not as good as the TEs Garrett had

The defense and the defensive coordinator is probably better....but the loss of Diggs is huge and the LB play is really below average.

We did not draft Micah to be an edge rusher or an every down d-lineman...it has just worked out that way. But does that mean the 2nd round pick we spent on Sam Williams will never give us a ROI?

Am I shocked that the 49ers beat us that bad? Yes. Am I shocked that they beat us? No! Never was on board with Pollard as the featured RB. Never on board is Cee Dee being a #1....he is a low level #1. I've always saw Dak as a top 12 QB...but without a dominant physical WR, with a big catch radius....and without dominant run game....he goes from a top 12 guy to a top 17 - 20 guy.

This is WHY Jerry gets most of the blame. He has been the chief architect of this franchise since Jimmy left. He has not and will not fire himself, so that should at least mean he has learned in the 30 years since Jimmy has been gone.

But I don't think he's learned much at all. You cannot lose to the same team 3 straight seasons and think you are a SB contender. This team is full of finesses players at a time when the best teams in the NFC (SF, Detroit, Eagles) are physical teams...so it has become quickly apparent that this team is NOT who they (the front office) thought they were. And that it is why I am so frustrated. I don't earn a dime to evaluate or assess this team compared to the rest of the league. The people that earn MILLIONS doing that for the Dallas Cowboys should be arrested for theft. As far as I am concerned...it does not require a seasoned professional or a room full of scouts to come to the conclusion that this roster does not compare to the roster of the top teams in the NFC.

And I get tired of hearing about saving cap room for signing this guy or that guy...NONE of these guys have EVER helped you win anything....if his name is not Micah Parsons or Tyler Smith or pre-injury Trevon Diggs....you are not untouchable!!!

Wizarus

Reaction score
Garrett should be thankful that Romo made him look like a middling HC instead of a terrible one. MM cant hide behind Dak the same way, and similar to Moore, it's still unclear how much Dak is holding back his playbook.

Rayman70

Reaction score
NO. MM is winning more games. But the same issues are we can't win the bigger games.

raven55

Reaction score
from top to bottom it's a mess, so good luck because we will be picking in the 15 to 18 range and that is that

leeblair

Reaction score
If McCarthy doesn't get rid of Garrett 2.0, he will fail in Dallas.
As it stands, his offensive scheme is looking pretty shaky, considering that Kellen Moore did so much while he was here.
It's beginning to look like there are two problems with the Cowboys offense, with McCarthy being the other one.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Why was Garrett so bad in your opinion
No understanding of team building, poor talent evaluator, outdated concepts, poor in game decision making, ran a country club where the players quickly learned to tune him out but also the "go along to get along, collect my check" is enough mantra.

Even though he's been around football all his life, I'm not sure he really understands the X & O's. But he definitely understands the butt kissing & blame game to stay in ownership's good graces and let others be his fall guys.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
LOL!!!

Garrett was head coach here for 10 years..............I repeat 10 years.................had 3 playoff seasons.

I'm sorry, but if you are head coach for a dam decade and miss the playoffs 70% of the time, including blowing the #1 seed, I cannot in any way, shape, or form consider you anything but a complete failure.

MM has at least won a road playoff game against the GOAT.............that, by definition, makes him more qualified to be head coach than Garrett ever dreamed of.

/thread, discussion over.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Romo said on live tv if I'm not mistaken, that Garrett was not an X and O type of guy.

this Garrett love is as bad as the qb love crap. they suck.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
No understanding of team building, poor talent evaluator, outdated concepts, poor in game decision making, ran a country club where the players quickly learned to tune him out but also the "go along to get along, collect my check" is enough mantra.

Even though he's been around football all his life, I'm not sure he really understands the X & O's. But he definitely understands the butt kissing & blame game to stay in ownership's good graces and let others be his fall guys.
It’s funny how quickly I’ll feel the game has passed these guys by.

Mike McCarthy has been around football his whole life but I’m starting to think he’s just not smart enough for the job

Brax

Reaction score
These last 3 years most would argue MM has built a more talented roster while revamping the offense and building a top notch defense .

And we have had most fans who believe this is a much more talented team under McCarthy.

The fact we had our first back to back 12 win and consecutive playoff seasons since the 90’s would support as such.

But we still have come up short in the playoffs and why we made the change to begin with.

This isn’t just about our QB and I warn you not to make it about it. There are ample threads for that discussion.

The Cowboys and McCarthy used Moore last year as a scapegoat after we had one of the top offenses not only in Redzone but overall . He totally revamped our offensive scheme which was already being called out while we were blowing out lesser opponents.

Now we apparently had built a defense which was hyped or sold as becoming one of the top in the league. Which had already fallen flat on its face in two of our 5 games.

At what point can we argue that McCarthy is doing less with more? Unless we are backing off this is a much more talented team than Garrett had ?

I was suspect of his playcalling and game day Mgmt before this game and season but the overall vibe was he is a difference maker and we’re in a much better place which there was some evidence to support .

I guess my overall question is this. Is McCarthy doing less with more than Garrett did?
Looks like MM is going to be the next scapegoat for Jerry’s bungling, better or worse hate to say it but JG did more with less but should never have lasted more than first contact