CFZ Is McCarthy underperforming as much as Garrett?

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Ok , so who’s done more with less or less with more.
Hard to say. Both teams had different strengths and weaknesses. The 2016 team had the offense, MM's teams the better defense. I can't help but think that a better coach in 2016 gets us to the SB. Like the 2017 Eagles, 2016 was the year it all came together, but to no avail in the end. I'd have to say for that one year, Garrett did less with more. I give MM the nod over Garrett in this scenario. We didn't win 12 games two years in a row by accident. But in the end, it doesn't matter.

If you want to include Big Mike's tenure in Green Bay, then he is the bigger failure, doing less with more.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Did Garrett ever have a defense as good as this one? Perhaps only for 1 season at the most.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Remember….Jerry hates to change HCs. He stayed with Garrett ten years. Ten Years when Garrett made the playoffs only 3 times! And JJ was ok with that. Whatever anyone thinks of Big Mac he is light years better than Garrett.

Regarding head coaches in Big D- First of all, JJ does not think like we do. We look at all our HCs and think, “Why are sticking with this guy when we aren’t going anywhere with him?” JJ looks for a HC FIRST AND FOREMOST on whether or not he can be comfortable with them. Winning is not the #1 priority.

Secondly and most importantly- as @atlantacowboy just pointed out, don’t think for a second that if we brought in some HOF coach like Andy Reid or even some young hotshot like Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVey…none of those guys can fix the way this organization is run at the top. Jerry Jones IS the problem. Until he changes or steps down, no HC or QB or coordinator is capable of saving us.

Exactly, and, even if he does change coaches, it won't be a coach that people on here will want. I don't think you will see Lincoln Riley here. Jerry requires yes men.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No time, fixing to go.

So, you're telling me you have a misleading title?!!!!!
No , that wasn’t my intent. Which was to frame my argument more to who has done the most with what they have .

Meaning that since we can conclude MM is a greater HC and he’s built a better or more talented team then has he done less with more.

And when I say less I’m referring to taking us further in the playoffs which is the ultimate goal or measurement.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Garrett won 56% of his games as head coach of Dallas.

McCarthy won 60% of his games as head coach of Dallas.

That's not a big difference, and I firmly believe McCarthy had (on average) a better roster than Garrett.

The OP poses a legitimate question.

LysleE

Reaction score
Does it really matter? This team is still madly inconsistent and eats the cheese all too often.
I’m tired of watching other offenses use motion against Dallas to their advantage, while Dallas is content to run MM’s static offense specializing in predictable play calling.
But nothing will change so long as Jerry is GM; he is the only constant in this mess.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
MM > JG

i mean MM won with cooper rush last season. JG teams collapsed completely without Romo or dak

Steve007

Reaction score
These last 3 years most would argue MM has built a more talented roster while revamping the offense and building a top notch defense .

And we have had most fans who believe this is a much more talented team under McCarthy.

The fact we had our first back to back 12 win and consecutive playoff seasons since the 90’s would support as such.

But we still have come up short in the playoffs and why we made the change to begin with.

This isn’t just about our QB and I warn you not to make it about it. There are ample threads for that discussion.

The Cowboys and McCarthy used Moore last year as a scapegoat after we had one of the top offenses not only in Redzone but overall . He totally revamped our offensive scheme which was already being called out while we were blowing out lesser opponents.

Now we apparently had built a defense which was hyped or sold as becoming one of the top in the league. Which had already fallen flat on its face in two of our 5 games.

At what point can we argue that McCarthy is doing less with more? Unless we are backing off this is a much more talented team than Garrett had ?

I was suspect of his playcalling and game day Mgmt before this game and season but the overall vibe was he is a difference maker and we’re in a much better place which there was some evidence to support .

I guess my overall question is this. Is McCarthy doing less with more than Garrett did?
McCarthy has been underperforming, but he doesn't have the talent to beat the elite teams in the playoffs. The Cowboys need a new GM and coach. They need GM to have a honest evaluation of the players and coaches and the environment of the organization. Jerry runs the Cowboys like a country club. I know none of these changes will happen.

75boyz

Reaction score
Absolutely. And let me preface this with saying I'm no Garrett fan. I say again, I do not like Garrett.
But here are the facts:
Garrett had his 3 year window of 2014 followed by a Romo hurt in '15 off year to being COY and #1seed in '16.

McCarthy's off year was the first '20, and pandemic year followed by 2 playoff years in '21 and '22.

The only difference is McCarthy's off year was his first and that he had 25 yrs experience as a SB winning playcaller head coach coming into this job.

A job that his coordinators, both past and present, were the primary reason for success imo.

NOW, that he's finally got his hands on the offense and rid himself of the previous coordinator, you see the results of his true impact as a coach.

Pathetic.

I think he's a yes man fraud collecting retirement portfolio checks.

Mark

Reaction score
Was McCarthy "underperforming" when his team whipped the Giants 40-0? Beat down the Jets 30-10? Or pummeled the Pats 38-3? What is the difference between those performances and the Cards & Niners games?

In the case of the Niners, I simply think SF currently stands head-and-shoulders above every other team in the League. Barring injuries to key players, I'll be genuinely surprised if and when anyone beats them. They are a real powerhouse.

Which brings us back to the Cardinals. With no obvious talent-gap, I can't come up with an excuse for that one, aside from poor preparation & team leadership.

And it's not like DAL is the only wildly inconsistent team in the League. Who expected MIA to get absolutely trounced in fair-weather Buffalo, a week after laying 70 pts. on Denver?

So much of what happens in the League these days defies non-conspiratorial explanation. That said, I can't imagine how difficult it is for a coach to grab & hold the attention of - let alone "motivate" - a few dozen immature multimillionaires all making more money than he does; it would take a gargantuan personality to do it.

75boyz

Reaction score
Garrett won 56% of his games as head coach of Dallas.

McCarthy won 60% of his games as head coach of Dallas.

That's not a big difference, and I firmly believe McCarthy had (on average) a better roster than Garrett.

The OP poses a legitimate question.
Well said. It's absolutely true and I'm not a Garrett groupie by any means.

You could essentially re-word the OP's question to ask "Based on Mike McCarthy's past success as playcalling HC, do you believe his job performance has exceeded Jason Garrett's?:

It's a resounding NO.
And again, I'm not pro-Garrett.

McCarthy hasn't done anything impressive here that wasn't a direct reflection of either Quinn or Moore's contribution.
Remember it was a hands off Moore offense.
He has absolutely no say in defense.
None.

So ultimately...

Where's the "bottom line" improvement?

There is none. And based on his resume and experience level as I've stated, he's done worse.

Period.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Need to get rid of McCarthy and sign Dak to an extension. :muttley:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Does it really matter? This team is still madly inconsistent and eats the cheese all too often.
I’m tired of watching other offenses use motion against Dallas to their advantage, while Dallas is content to run MM’s static offense specializing in predictable play calling.
But nothing will change so long as Jerry is GM; he is the only constant in this mess.
Vince Lombardi couldn't win in this circus atmosphere.

75boyz

Reaction score
Was McCarthy "underperforming" when his team whipped the Giants 40-0? Beat down the Jets 30-10? Or pummeled the Pats 38-3? What is the difference between those performances and the Cards & Niners games?

In the case of the Niners, I simply think SF currently stands head-and-shoulders above every other team in the League. Barring injuries to key players, I'll be genuinely surprised if and when anyone beats them. They are a real powerhouse.

Which brings us back to the Cardinals. With no obvious talent-gap, I can't come up with an excuse for that one, aside from poor preparation & team leadership.

And it's not like DAL is the only wildly inconsistent team in the League. Who expected MIA to get absolutely trounced in fair-weather Buffalo, a week after laying 70 pts. on Denver?

So much of what happens in the League these days defies non-conspiratorial explanation. That said, I can't imagine how difficult it is for a coach to grab & hold the attention of - let alone "motivate" - a few dozen immature multimillionaires all making more money than he does; it would take a gargantuan personality to do it.
I mean if you think McCarthy has absolutely anything to do with any facet of this defense whatsoever I'd hafta disagree with ya.
And remember up until last year it was a hands off offense that McCarthy let it be known publicly that it was Kellen's, and Kellen's alone.
So what does that leave?

Because he has the title of head coach he gets credit for Quinn's success?
Not in my book.
You can plainly see that his specialty, the offensive side of the ball, SUCKS.

So I guess I'll respectfully disagree with ya based on all that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
These last 3 years most would argue MM has built a more talented roster while revamping the offense and building a top notch defense .

And we have had most fans who believe this is a much more talented team under McCarthy.

The fact we had our first back to back 12 win and consecutive playoff seasons since the 90’s would support as such.

But we still have come up short in the playoffs and why we made the change to begin with.

This isn’t just about our QB and I warn you not to make it about it. There are ample threads for that discussion.

The Cowboys and McCarthy used Moore last year as a scapegoat after we had one of the top offenses not only in Redzone but overall . He totally revamped our offensive scheme which was already being called out while we were blowing out lesser opponents.

Now we apparently had built a defense which was hyped or sold as becoming one of the top in the league. Which had already fallen flat on its face in two of our 5 games.

At what point can we argue that McCarthy is doing less with more? Unless we are backing off this is a much more talented team than Garrett had ?

I was suspect of his playcalling and game day Mgmt before this game and season but the overall vibe was he is a difference maker and we’re in a much better place which there was some evidence to support .

I guess my overall question is this. Is McCarthy doing less with more than Garrett did?
Mac>Garrett

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Did Garrett ever have a defense as good as this one? Perhaps only for 1 season at the most.
No joke. I’ll take last year’s defense but I want the younger more mobile Dak and Zeke with a healthy Zack, TFred and Tyron in their prime. Good mindset on our new conservative offense, just a few years too late. Doh!