Is Micah on the Zeke path

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I worry that Micah will suffer the same fate as Zeke when it comes to longevity.
Like Zeke, he is taking a pounding and seeing him wear down towards the end of each of his two seasons is concerning.
It may happen the same where he signs a big contract and can't live up to it due to the wear and tear.
Dude is probably 250 by now. Pounding? TJ Watt is only 251. Why would Parsons be unable to take it?
Maybe he needs to revisit LVE’s advice from year one. Make your plays and let others make their plays. If he can’t adjust and take it, I certainly wouldn’t give him another contract.

HanD

Reaction score
if he keeps playing DE, he will have a shorter career. it was painfully obvious he was worn down by end of the year and played on shear will.
He needs to be a LB or moved to OLB in a 3-4 to continue to rush the passer.
He was effective year one as a lb that occasionally blitzed and rushes on passing downs. People only saw his pass rush which is admittedly great but his body can't deal with it.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Parsons will wear himself down moreso than taking on bigger O-lineman will. He's running at the redline from snap to whistle every play. I don't think it matters where he lines up.

EST_1986

Reaction score
You should ask when will he get the fans hated treatment after signing a huge contract. Then doesn’t get 50 sacks and 15 INT’s and 20 fumble recoveries for TD’s.
30% of those sacks better be strip sacks

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Parsons isn’t an RB, so he’s not comparable to Zeke. Taking on blocks is a lot different than getting hit and slammed to the ground every week.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If he does he was never that guy to begin with. Aaron Donald has been doing his thing almost 10 years. Same with Von. No excuses. He said he's the Lion and I believe him

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
RB is really the only position where guys wear out so quickly.

Lawrence Taylor spent his entire career going up against OT’s and OG’s at 6-3, 237 lbs. That is Micah’s height but 8 pounds lighter.

And Taylor played special teams for part of the time, too.

Micah is plenty big for doing what he does.

The thing about Parsons is that he is one of the rare guys that always goes 100%, on every play because he’s so competitive. There is a big difference between wearing down and tiring out. Micah just tires out by the end of some games. The next week, he’s ready to go.

The fans just see it because the camera is always on Micah and he stops the celebrations because he’s so winded. Also, he is so good that fans always expect Parsons to make a game saving sack. In games in the 4th quarter where Micah is tired (often because they use him so much) and where he is blocked by 3 guys because the offense is terrified of him… fans always come here talking about how Micah didn’t show up and now he is wearing down from playing against OL.

Well, he couldn’t save the day because the entire offense is geared towards stopping him (which allows others to make the play by the way) and he looked tired because they had played him just about every snap and he was tired. He still goes all out and he still makes plays despite being the focal point of every protection meeting the night before every game against Dallas.

The guy is a unicorn. He is just fine playing the way Quinn uses him. He isn’t wearing down… he is only getting better and better. He still has a lot of room to grow in his pass rush technique. Besides, he’s a pretty big guy himself. He may move like a CB… but the guy is a cracker shy of 250.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
RB is really the only position where guys wear out so quickly.

Lawrence Taylor spent his entire career going up against OT’s and OG’s at 6-3, 237 lbs. That is Micah’s height but 8 pounds lighter.

And Taylor played special teams for part of the time, too.

Micah is plenty big for doing what he does.

The thing about Parsons is that he is one of the rare guys that always goes 100%, on every play because he’s so competitive. There is a big difference between wearing down and tiring out. Micah just tires out by the end of some games. The next week, he’s ready to go.

The fans just see it because the camera is always on Micah and he stops the celebrations because he’s so winded. Also, he is so good that fans always expect Parsons to make a game saving sack. In games in the 4th quarter where Micah is tired (often because they use him so much) and where he is blocked by 3 guys because the offense is terrified of him… fans always come here talking about how Micah didn’t show up and now he is wearing down from playing against OL.

Well, he couldn’t save the day because the entire offense is geared towards stopping him (which allows others to make the play by the way) and he looked tired because they had played him just about every snap and he was tired. He still goes all out and he still makes plays despite being the focal point of every protection meeting the night before every game against Dallas.

The guy is a unicorn. He is just fine playing the way Quinn uses him. He isn’t wearing down… he is only getting better and better. He still has a lot of room to grow in his pass rush technique. Besides, he’s a pretty big guy himself. He may move like a CB… but the guy is a cracker shy of 250.
I still think he needs to play MLB and rush on 3rd and long. He's kinda proving my point about him pre-draft. I didn't see top 10 pick as a MLB and so far he hasn't shown it at all. At this point we shouldn't be asking for Bobby Wagner, it should be him

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I still think he needs to play MLB and rush on 3rd and long. He's kinda proving my point about him pre-draft. I didn't see top 10 pick as a MLB and so far he hasn't shown it at all. At this point we shouldn't be asking for Bobby Wagner, it should be him
He scares the **** out of QB’s. He needs to rush in passing situations. Period. Play him some at LB if they want but he needs to be blitzed in passing situations. At Penn State he was lethal when sent on A gap blitzes.

He is just way too good as a pass rusher to not use him. It is where most of his worth lies. If teams don’t give him a ton of attention, he will wreck their game plan.

If they do give him a ton of attention then the other rushers get home. He is huge to the team no matter how many sacks he gets.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
he might if they keep putting him up against guys that are 80 lbs heavier than him every single down.

Nonsense. We see ~250 lbers going against OTs all across the league. Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Charles Haley, Lawrence Taylor, TJ Watt, James Harrison. Small DEs and OLBs have been doing it for decades, but all of the sudden it's a problem for Micah Parsons.

If he has an issue, it's likely in the cardio department.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No worries on Micah. Don’t even think about it till you see two consecutive franchise tags. Till then, he’s a Cowboys.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I have come around to the fact that until Micah bulks up 30 more pounds, his health will suffer at DE with diminishing returns.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Micah is being abused as badly as so many of us think, it's up to Mike McCarthy and Dan Quinn to do something about it. They should see to it that the team drafts a big bad DE to relieve Micah of that abuse he takes. Gotta wonder if they really don't want to jeopardize their own jobs. It does seem pro football is funny that way much too often. It can too easily be a nasty game in that sense.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
I also agree that he is not built to be an every down EDGE. They should move him around, make it more difficult to target him. He has such a versatile skill set, I think they are wasting some of that by keeping him at EDGE.

There are times when an opponent puts two three hundred pounders on him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe drafting a big, bad DE would afford Micah some much-needed relief from abuse. That would likely mitigate the problem in a hurry. ;)

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Micah will be fine. But there is no excuse for him being on the field late in games when the outcome has already been decided. It makes absolutely no sense and I’ve seen it way too often in the past 2 years. I don’t care how peed off he gets. Take charge and tell him to take a seat on the bench!!!
Plus - that is the optimal time to put in a backup \ rotational player to see if he's prepared enough to thwart the opponent's actions replacing a starter.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is exactly correct. Much better to have him off the line of scrimmage chasing, hunting, blitzing. Having him taking on OT 40 snaps a game is moronic.
yeah he could be used much wiser than what the cowboys have done.
I would put him at middle LB, and on pass plays he could wait to go thru any open gap of his choosing. That way he would be unblocked.