CFZ Is Micah really worth a record breaking deal?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A normal Brink's truck isn't big enough for the money he's going to get. He needs a semi.

tenor.gif

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, it's not about Parsons, it's about Prescott.

If they decide he's the future, then Parsons is most likely signed but what if they decide to move on and go for a stud QB in the draft like Williams?

Any non-QB a better move up chip into that #1 spot without having to meet the draft values? You can throw away that chart if the Cowboys are willing to trade Parsons.

Let's say the team holding the #1 pick isn't ready to go QB in this draft. The Cowboys dangle Parsons in front of them, what do you think their GM is going to do?

The first decision to be made is at QB and will there be a better time to make a change than this upcoming draft with Parsons in his prime and probably the hottest ticket to the top of the draft? Think there will be a no trade clause in Parson's next contract?

mcmvp

Reaction score

If they decide he's the future, then Parsons is most likely signed but what if they decide to move on and go for a stud QB in the draft like Williams?

Any non-QB a better move up chip into that #1 spot without having to meet the draft values? You can throw away that chart if the Cowboys are willing to trade Parsons.

Let's say the team holding the #1 pick isn't ready to go QB in this draft. The Cowboys dangle Parsons in front of them, what do you think their GM is going to do?

The first decision to be made is at QB and will there be a better time to make a change than this upcoming draft with Parsons in his prime and probably the hottest ticket to the top of the draft? Think there will be a no trade clause in Parson's next contract?
Exactly…that is the elephant in the room. The QB decision. My hunch tells me that JJ wouldn’t have the stomach to do it though. I think Jimmy would

John813

Reaction score
The team can pay him a top deal and have his cap be below his AAV for years.
There's no issue with cap space and re-signing him long term. He's worth a big deal.

Out of all the players on the team, he's one I wouldn't blink an eye at the team re-signing

IMO teams will tank for Caleb Williams. It'll be 2020 all over again, except back then it was for Tua till Burrows blew up and Tua broke his hip.
Unless a team like the Chargers or Bengals find themselves with the 1st overall, that team will take Williams.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

This is my exact view and it extends to how we handle Diggs, also.

Lamb is the only guy I feel 100% confident should be a Cowboy for life. His ability is conducive to longevity, whereas Parsons gifts may diminish under the heavy workload. And while I have not mined data to back this point up, most cornerbacks don't have an extended period of greatness either.

So if we're not all-in on Prescott, don't sign them. Trade them and jump-start the rebuild. And if we are all-in on Dak, where's the sense of urgency?

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Parsons finished third in total QB pressures (70). Yes, his pressure rate was lower in ’22 than it was in ’21, but that’s because he stepped into a role in which he rushed the passer more often (427 pass-rush snaps in ’22; 279 in ’21). His 43 hurries were the third most of any defender in the league. His 13.5 sacks bested his previous career-high mark of 13 and his five turnovers caused by pressure were the second most in the NFL.
https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-s...-2022-reigning-nfl-dpoy-nick-bosa-ranked-but-

I wouldn’t call that much of a fall-off. I understand the concern for wear and tear, but would you be willing to gamble otherwise?

Parsons is a sensational pass rusher, pay the man his money and hope he doesn’t get hurt, MP will take care of the rest.

Big_D

Reaction score
He's a generational talent with unmatched size and closing speed. D would take a huge hit without him. These are the guys you pay. 13 sacks a year and that number should go up. It would be moronic to let him walk because you're trying to save cap dollars. He's the only player here who brings any kind of attitude and desire to win more than the usual regular season football games.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To this owner? Absolutely

To a guy like Belichick, not so much. He has traded his best D player before a bank breaking deal had to be made. And he's done that several times.
And won several super bowls

mcmvp

Reaction score
You’ll get bashed for good reason

To say this this is stupid thread is being nice
It's not a stupid thread, it's just really the wrong question. I think everyone would agree that he is the sort of player worthy of a record breaking deal. The real question should be "for which team?"

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
In the right here, right now....

This team has a legitimate window open. Because of that, and because a top tier defense is essential to keep that window from slamming shut, I lean towards paying him and manipulating the cap to maximize that window, dealing with the consequences later, while basking in the afterglow of a SB.

I can see the rationale behind maximizing his value in a blockbuster trade, though.

His attitude and leadership qualities play a large roll in forming my opinion.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If they decide he's the future,
Honestly, judging by their recent comments, I'm convinced they are sold. Hell, just the other day, MM pretty much called Dak a smart, HOF-type QB. Stephen recently said extending Dak won't be anywhere near as hard as getting his current deal done coz most of the money is already baked into the budget ( other words, he only needs to add $11M to his current average per year to put him over $50M ).

Trust me, I now have some reservations myself but I'm not seeing his future through the Jones's eyes. I never compared his stats with Romo's until now. When you compare what he has accomplished at Romo's same age, it's not hard to see why they sold. Let's say Dak plays 13 years like Romo.......he would finish his career with over 46,000 yards, 312 TDs vs over 34,000 yards 248 TDs by Romo.

There was never a question in their mind about Romo as the franchise QB until injuries kicked after 13 years. Just me, but again, I'm 100% convinced they are just as sold on Dak as they were on Romo, maybe even more.

In fact, judging by their stats ( yea I know, not the whole story ) I would argue if you liked Romo, you should love Dak.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

JBS

Reaction score
It's not a stupid thread, it's just really the wrong question. I think everyone would agree that he is the sort of player worthy of a record breaking deal. The real question should be "for which team?"
Thanks for following it up w another stupid question

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
A big factor in all of this is the Jerry factor.

A massively successful draft pic validates him as a legit football man, at least in his mind.

At the end of the day, that is likely to be the deciding factor.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know I'll get bashed, I know it's not time, but we have to get our thoughts ready for this record breaking deal. In his first season, he blew the league by surprise because obviously no one knew what he could do as a rookie.

2nd season, I think we as fans are still living in the bubble of his first season. With these players, we need to go case by case, season by season. Every year there seems to be a new dominant player, or a team that comes out of nowhere to surprise everyone.

I said that to say, let's take Micah since he's the topic of this post, on a season by season basis. Year one was dynamic, year two, he was good, but often burned out! I've never seen a second year player burned out like that......

Contractually and I REALLY don't care what he gets, it's neither my money or yours. I just think we're basing his every move off of year one. I'd like to see him be that dominant force in the league, to me there's a few guys ahead of him.

He said weeks ago that he wants to affect the game and he isn't worried about sack totals. Believe it or not, I almost cried hearing that!!! It's not just about sack numbers, but what else you can do, to have that ultimate impact on the game.

So let's see what he does this year by taking over games and doing what he needs not worrying about numbers!! Once again I will get bashed and I accept it!!! Please give your thoughts!!
I worry about his health, he's undersized as an edge player and plays with wreckless abandon. Great stats and play, but at what cost. He is constantly limping around. They need to be smarter with his play. If he's healthy when the time comes and keeps his level of play, he will probably be the highest payed defensive player in the NFL....no need to rush it. If they don't want to break the bank, keep sending him and don't worry about his long-term health. Chew him up and spit him out. That's the way it works.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yes, he is.
But ...

If a team is offering 3 1s, 3 2s and 3 3s for Micah, you couldn't blink before I'd sign off on that deal.
Micah's a great player, but he alone isn't taking you to the Super Bowl.
Reggie White couldn't do it by himself, and he had better talent surrounding him in Philadelphia than Green Bay.
Bruce Smith and company couldn't stop the Cowboys from scoring 52 on them nor could they stop Emmitt Smith from running rough shod on them in Super Bowl 28.
Derrick Thomas never saw a Super Bowl.
Charles Haley was a difference maker for the Cowboys, but he came to a team with a star-studded offense.

Defensive players aren't like franchise quarterbacks. Elway, P. Manning, Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana (quarterbacks who are going to play 10+ years), you don't trade for anything because they keep your team always in contention. But star defensive players, especially in today's aerial-assault style of play where the rules favor the offensive, are at a disadvantage. So if you can get a Herschel Walker-type deal for them (in this case Micah Parsons), you take it.

Of course, that will never happen so, as Deion Sanders would say, ... pay da man!

Retro88

Reaction score
Yes, let's trade him. If we're lucky we might be able to get some pass rush help. If we're really lucky we might be able to get a generational talent on defense. A Micah Parsons type player.

In all honestly if you can do what he's done at an important role as a pass rusher and they refuse to pay him at his age then this team deserves to be a 7 game winner for the next 25 years

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The true cost of keeping Parsons is not just the portion of the salary cap the team has to allocate to re-sign him (financial cost), but also the value of the draft picks they could obtain by trading him (opportunity cost). There are 2 parts to the equation, and both must be considered.

Would another team give up two #1's and two #2's? I don't know- but that's four solid players right there, plus the free agents the team could sign or retain with the dollars they saved. That could potentially be 6-7 really good players. I would do that trade, and it's not outside the realm of possibility.