Is Moore everthing that Garrett was supposed to be?

Them

Reaction score
...I believe a simple No will suffice!...besides he hasn't done anything yet...to early IMO.:star:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Garrett's whole "genius" tag came strictly from the fact that he went to Princeton. Nothing he's ever shown in his actual profession shows him to be a genius in anything except selling himself to the media and his boss. As an OC he took a top-5 offense and made it... a top 5 offense. For one year. They weren't top 5 again for another six years.

I would bet Moore is a more creative, less conservative coach, but who knows what he'll actually be allowed to do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I read about Moore the more I like him. The problem for me hearing about a new young offensive genius was that this was exactly what we heard about Garrett. We all know how that turned out. But Garrett was a smart guy so everyone simply assumed that would translate into being a football genius. Which it definitely hasn't. The more I read about Moore the more it seems that he has what Garrett is lacking. That football intelligence and inquisitive creative mind. Lets just hope they give him autonomy.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...from-a-kid-collecting-playbooks-to-cowboys-oc

Many comments about Garrett focused on how he was very impressive in an interview and was well organized with a very logical approach.

There was not a big focus on Garrett being creative.

Most or all references to intelligence were just references to the fact that he went to Yale.

For ex football players turned commentators that went to colleges like LSU, a guy that went to Yale seems like Albert Einstein in their mind...

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Garrett has been everything I’d hope for. He resurrected a 1-7 team. Rebuilt it in his vision and had us on the verge of contending for a championship until our QB injury which reset our course.

Now we’ve had to build a stronger defense to overcome a lesser QB with an offense built more to run the ball than pass. In Garretts 8 + years he’s now basically transformed us twice and unfortunately expected to have more success without a more prolific passing QB.

All of this while influencing the most meddling owner in the league with all of the distractions associated without more controll in assistant coaches and personnel.

Garrett has become the least appreciated HC in Cowboys history while having the most success in this era all because we have fans who have expected more from the most dysfunctional organization in the league.

I don't know what you see in Garrett. He is mediocre and had over a decade to show what he can do as a coach. He was blessed with a top 5 QB in Romo and an organization that gave him many chances. Sure, Jerry can be overbearing sometimes and he tends to suck up to the limelight. But Garrett was given full reigns to do what he wanted with this team. Garrett has done much and has been mediocre.

His offensive scheme sucks. Lets face it. He can't make calls because his not and X and O type of guy. Therefore, what is he really good for? He can't call plays. He needs talent to make his offense work. And all that he really does on the sidelines is clap and chew gum.

Like I said, he doesn't provide much as coaching goes. Sure players like him. But that doesn't mean much. Until he wins the Superbowl and then I his biggest critique and feel that he deserves to be canned. His holding this team back. I wish him gone right now.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Really hope people are right about moore but I'm not buying it.
The only bad thing is that if kellen turns the offense around, and chris keeps the D playing good,and Dallas goes to playoffs,
and gets to champ game , or even worse the SB, Does that mean JG will get extended another 10 years??????????

I think they would because The jones boys like working with JG he is easy for them, does what he is told and smiles .
JG is coaching for the money, he just wants to keep the millions rolling in!
If he wanted to coach for real he could have left and went elsewhere.

So if Cowboys got to SB and lose, or win even worse, JG wont leave, and he will then be here a long long time.

So with that being the case, even though it is hard I may root for them to lose. Or at least not win div, or very least not
get past div round again.

To be honest, I dont think I could enjoy a SB win, with garrett smiling clapping, and holding up the trophy.
Bad enough to endure Jerry and his boy, but Garrett too? Is just too much.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Many comments about Garrett focused on how he was very impressive in an interview and was well organized with a very logical approach.

There was not a big focus on Garrett being creative.

Most or all references to intelligence were just references to the fact that he went to Yale.

For ex football players turned commentators that went to colleges like LSU, a guy that went to Yale seems like Albert Einstein in their mind...
The thing is that doesnt mean JG was smart, he was a starter on football team, his dad was HC I think, so teachers are going to
make sure he gets good enough grades to play.
That happens with all players, if some of these guys were not on the team they couldn't get past sat tests, or make passing grades on their own.
Easy to get into yale if your dad is HC and you are a football player. Same for making grades.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
There is a good track record of sons of coaches being good coaches themselves. He comes from a family of coaches. The potential is there.

The problem is that this is his first rodeo. That means he is going to make mistakes. Will the fan base turn on him or will they be patient?

They were patient with Garrett until recently. Despite what you say about him, he is a demonstrably better coach in 2018 than he was in 2010.

They’ll need the same patience with Moore, who will probably be a better play caller in 2021 than he is in 2019.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know what you see in Garrett. He is mediocre and had over a decade to show what he can do as a coach. He was blessed with a top 5 QB in Romo and an organization that gave him many chances. Sure, Jerry can be overbearing sometimes and he tends to suck up to the limelight. But Garrett was given full reigns to do what he wanted with this team. Garrett has done much and has been mediocre.

His offensive scheme sucks. Lets face it. He can't make calls because his not and X and O type of guy. Therefore, what is he really good for? He can't call plays. He needs talent to make his offense work. And all that he really does on the sidelines is clap and chew gum.

Like I said, he doesn't provide much as coaching goes. Sure players like him. But that doesn't mean much. Until he wins the Superbowl and then I his biggest critique and feel that he deserves to be canned. His holding this team back. I wish him gone right now.
What I see in Garrett is someone who has helped influence a better overall culture and stabilize a franchise that was going up and down since the 90’s dynasty was over.

If you like where we are now then you’re at least indirectly supportive of Garrett’s influence despite his weaknesses in Game Day coaching which doesn’t appear to be his strength.

If I thought Jerry would bring in a more proven HC again I’d be very receptive but as long as Jerry is intent on his meddling and control over Cowboys Football attempting to prove he can build a championship team without Jimmy I’m not sure we can find a better puppet than Garrett who’s best asset appears to be holding it all together despite the distractions from this dysfunctional organization.

Techsass

Reaction score
There is a good track record of sons of coaches being good coaches themselves. He comes from a family of coaches. The potential is there.

The problem is that this is his first rodeo. That means he is going to make mistakes. Will the fan base turn on him or will they be patient?

They were patient with Garrett until recently. Despite what you say about him, he is a demonstrably better coach in 2018 than he was in 2010.

They’ll need the same patience with Moore, who will probably be a better play caller in 2021 than he is in 2019.
It's a good thing that most of us here are super patient with rookies. Right?

Hardline

Reaction score
I haven't seen Moore's clapping skills yet but I assume he has good clapping technique.

I don't think the Cowboys should be running a coaching apprenticeship anyway
Hire the best and the brightest minds that are already established or hire them away from another team.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The more I read about Moore the more I like him. The problem for me hearing about a new young offensive genius was that this was exactly what we heard about Garrett. We all know how that turned out. But Garrett was a smart guy so everyone simply assumed that would translate into being a football genius. Which it definitely hasn't. The more I read about Moore the more it seems that he has what Garrett is lacking. That football intelligence and inquisitive creative mind. Lets just hope they give him autonomy.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...from-a-kid-collecting-playbooks-to-cowboys-oc

You need to judge moore by the things he does. Not by the way mediots trying to advertise him.

When romo was here as a tutor to dak, he played good. After that - with moore - dak went downhill.

Moore is advertised as a genius. Because sites and mediots need clicks to earn money. Not because they know.

I dont care about a trainer being a genius. They are not. Its just a fake to give some value to the league. In fact nobody in the nfl is one. If they were they would be in another job where genius is payed.

This is no rocket science. Dont overvalue things. Its about what a player is able to do and put him in the right Situation.

Dak is very limited. He needs someone who is able to tell him certain situations. What a team is trying to do to him. So he can one read and throw.

I do think and hope kitna is a valuable asset to him.

Big_D

Reaction score
There's still a learning curve and still the same playbook. Maybe a few 'Moore' wrinkles, but the hype machine is quite huge for a coach with 1 year on his resume. That's a complete Jerry move right there!! He's just beating every other team to the punch? lol Lets hope Moore makes up for the less that the GM brings to the table. But managing the tempo and all the nuances and situations and opponents tendencies take time and you still have the HC making the decisions on when to go or punt, when to call a TO etc.. It's good to be hopeful but even with Kellen Moore you can only mask the larger issues so much. I definitely think that down the line he can and should be a good coach with the smarts for the job, but the timeframe of accomplishing those things seem a little unrealistic at this point especially with Gepetto and Pinocchio standing right behind him. Right now, he's that fish. LOL

9c611609c77e021edeaed8a00f6f711d.jpg

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You need to judge moore by the things he does. Not by the way mediots trying to advertise him.

When romo was here as a tutor to dak, he played good. After that - with moore - dak went downhill.

Moore is advertised as a genius. Because sites and mediots need clicks to earn money. Not because they know.

I dont care about a trainer being a genius. They are not. Its just a fake to give some value to the league. In fact nobody in the nfl is one. If they were they would be in another job where genius is payed.

This is no rocket science. Dont overvalue things. Its about what a player is able to do and put him in the right Situation.

Dak is very limited. He needs someone who is able to tell him certain situations. What a team is trying to do to him. So he can one read and throw.

I do think and hope kitna is a valuable asset to him.

Dak said both then and after the fact that Moore was a big asset to him when he was a rookie too. Dak’s numbers and results were also up in 2018 over 2017 after Moore became QB coach

kskboys

Reaction score
Early on in his career, Garrett got played by the DC's through Romo. Romo realized he had to get better at the line because he wasn't getting much help from the sideline. He had to become an on the field OC.
I remember at the time, we were discussing whether it was Romo bailing out Garrett, or Garrett bailing out Romo. I believe we have our answer, esp after watching EVERY other QB struggle mightily w/ this scheme.

GMO415

Reaction score
-----Moore does not suck!!!

How do you know this? People are so starved for hope, that they are talking themselves into anything. The guy has ZERO track record......the fact that his dad was a coach means nothing more than that.
We definitely have to wait and see

dfense

Reaction score

Offensive genius before he's done a damn thing. lol

"Garrett's" offense was top 10 every year when he had a QB. Linehan's offense was not Garretts.