Is Murray on an unsustainable pace?

Kaiser

Reaction score
There is an article in today's Wall Street Journal about DeMarco Murray titled "The Cowboys Fatal Flaw" (I love that everyone hates us again). The writer Kevin Clark claims Murray can't sustain the pace he is on because only two RBs have ever had a season with that many (400) and both (Larry Johnson and Jamal Anderson) fell off the map immediately after.

I was a guy against the Marion Barber III contract because I didn't think he would hold up as an every down back. But in this case I disagree with the article, I think Murray can hold up because of his style and because of the OL he is running behind.

What do you guys think? This is the WSJ Article:

Data suggests that there is a limit to what a running back can handle. A 400-carry season, which Murray is on pace to pass, usually signals the end of a player’s career. After former Kansas City Chief Larry Johnson carried the ball 416 times in 2006, he only played in eight games the next season and never again played a full season. Atlanta’s Jamal Anderson became a star in 1998 while running 410 times. He played two games the next season and was out of football three years later.

Even if the workload is reduced, there may still be a problem. Accumulating 650 carries in two years is typically a bad career move. In the last decade, 17 players have done it, and essentially, only LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson have made it out in fine shape and stayed healthy. Most with that large a workload end up injured or unproductive: Larry Johnson, Travis Henry and Willie Parker all had big drops in production after two busy seasons of running the ball.

The Cowboys are faced with the most intriguing choice in football this season: Do they keep riding their running back, consequences be damned, or do they try to find some balance in their final 10 games, even if it means less success?

America’s Team is back, but for how long?

This the link but its behind the pay wall:

http://on.wsj.com/1xUolH9

windjc

Reaction score
There is an article in today's Wall Street Journal about DeMarco Murray titled "The Cowboys Fatal Flaw" (I love that everyone hates us again). The writer Kevin Clark claims Murray can't sustain the pace he is on because only two RBs have ever had a season with that many (400) and both (Larry Johnson and Jamal Anderson) fell off the map immediately after.

I was a guy against the Marion Barber III contract because I didn't think he would hold up as an every down back. But in this case I disagree with the article, I think Murray can hold up because of his style and because of the OL he is running behind.

Data suggests that there is a limit to what a running back can handle. A 400-carry season, which Murray is on pace to pass, usually signals the end of a player’s career. After former Kansas City Chief Larry Johnson carried the ball 416 times in 2006, he only played in eight games the next season and never again played a full season. Atlanta’s Jamal Anderson became a star in 1998 while running 410 times. He played two games the next season and was out of football three years later.

Even if the workload is reduced, there may still be a problem. Accumulating 650 carries in two years is typically a bad career move. In the last decade, 17 players have done it, and essentially, only LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson have made it out in fine shape and stayed healthy. Most with that large a workload end up injured or unproductive: Larry Johnson, Travis Henry and Willie Parker all had big drops in production after two busy seasons of running the ball.

The Cowboys are faced with the most intriguing choice in football this season: Do they keep riding their running back, consequences be damned, or do they try to find some balance in their final 10 games, even if it means less success?

Well, you simply don't know until you do it. I could end his career. Potentially. But you play to win NOW. You don't hold back or try to pamper or baby players.

If Murray wants a chance to be an all-time great, he has to show he can have longevity. If not, you use him for as long as he goes. He's certainly not complaining about the carries.

spook930

Reaction score
We really do need to limit his carries. Hopefully we keep winning and everyone we need to lose start losing so we can secure the division or top playoff seed earlier so we can rest him up a little.

kramskoi

Reaction score

This...I don't know what this is...Dallas has an o-line committed to zone-blocking, which makes Murray expendable if it comes down to it. The o-line ain't going anywhere, which is the relevant factor this garbage article completely dismisses. It seems all about Murray breaking down and the Cowboys falling off a cliff because of it. That could happen this year, but it seems to me that the longevity of the o-line is the big picture lost in the weeds of this generalizing article, which cannot know for certain if Murray will succumb to a cruel fate. Conveniently timed as Dallas scores a resounding victory against the reigning world champions. This does not surprise me for the WSJ...not one iota.

The bottom line is, like T Smith just recently, he could get hurt in practice...you just never know...I am with Terrell Davis on this one..."just let the man run"!

Zman5

Reaction score
Since the Giants, Commanders and the Jags all have crappy defenses, I'm hoping we can get a big lead early and then give Murray some rest.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
Since the Giants, Commanders and the Jags all have crappy defenses, I'm hoping we can get a big lead early and then give Murray some rest.

I think he'll be getting a good break next week. I think he get off to a huge lead against the Giants and we let some of the backups carry the load.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think he's fine. I think he thrives on carrying the ball a lot. The longer the game goes along the more it seems he gets stronger. Secondly, what does a bunch of stockbrokers know about football? They should stick to writing about finance and business and stop click baiting for the sake of hits. Media folks are just like weather vanes these days.

Reactions: BAT

kramskoi

Reaction score
I think he's fine. I think he thrives on carrying the ball a lot. The longer the game goes along the more it seems he gets stronger. Secondly, what does a bunch of stockbrokers know about football? They should stick to writing about finance and business and stop click baiting for the sake of hits. Media folks are just like weather vanes these days.

more like vampires I'd say...never cared for the WSJ anyway...

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we had a two back system with the same success, what would be our demise then? I'm sure they would come up with something.

Fredd

Reaction score
I'd say it's about 75% line, 25% RB's,,,I don't think you can just plug anyone in there and expect this type of success....my fear for the "demise" that the writers speak of is not with murray so much as the dings that are occurring on the OL right now (Free and Smith)...

burmafrd

Reaction score
what would worry me would be him getting those carries this year and Jerruh then breaking the bank on him and he then falls off a cliff.

But those facts about load are true; most backs that have that many carries in a season are never the same again.

Brutally and pragmatically what I would do is ride him this year and then franchize him next year.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
You know... over the years i'm amazed how things line up for players to have monster years at the perfect time and Jerry opens his wallet .

Now i say that to say several have worked like Romo thank goodness but Murray has not completed an entire season ever. Even the Red jersey days.

so, here we go "Best Back" in the NFL? Rushing leader.....I'm not mad please don't think that...i'm loving the dominate performances .

I don't mind a plate of crow and i'm all for this just being total babble. lol :laugh: make it so young man.

Angus12

Reaction score
History has shown us that RBs that get up close to 400 carries or over are quickly spent. Look at guys like Larry Johnson, Barry Foster, Jamal Anderson, Eddie George, Jamal Lewis, Shawn Alexander, etc... Looked unstoppable and piled up high carries. Then the next season had drastic fall offs.

If we don't want to see that happen to Murray, we'd better find out how to cut in to the carries he's getting. Because he's on a pace to go over 400 if he remains healthy all season. Or maybe, the plan is to ride him until he drops and then cut him loose after the season considering this the final year on his contract. Harsh, but this is a harsh business.

EST_1986

Reaction score
History has shown us that RBs that get up close to 400 carries or over are quickly spent. Look at guys like Larry Johnson, Barry Foster, Jamal Anderson, Eddie George, Jamal Lewis, Shawn Alexander, etc... Looked unstoppable and piled up high carries. Then the next season had drastic fall offs.

If we don't want to see that happen to Murray, we'd better find out how to cut in to the carries he's getting. Because he's on a pace to go over 400 if he remains healthy all season. Or maybe, the plan is to ride him until he drops and then cut him loose after the season considering this the final year on his contract. Harsh, but this is a harsh business.

Theres a solid chance Murray won't be around next year so why does it matter if he isn't going to be here anyway.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who says Murray has to get 400 carries anyway? He is beasting, so roll with him, but there's no reason not to get Randle and Dundbar more involved. Look at what they can do in open space. I'd love for Murray to get the record on Sunday (7 in a row), but not at the expense of a win and not at the expense of having him fresh for the rest of season.