Is Murray on an unsustainable pace?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
We would have the same success. Its the line not the running back.
I have a man crush on this line...Wow, how good they can become. However, it never hurts to have that "Little extra" and Murray has "it". Just don't want to push that pesky "cap" thing where options are narrowed down.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Murray does not seem to think so, I think the coaches will keep a close eye on Murray but as long as he feels he can get out there and produce the Cowboys will let him.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This has been fairly well known. But, if you can get the production that Murray is giving and it helps a team win a Super Bowl, you take the Super Bowl victory and deal with the fall-off in his production the next season.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This has been fairly well known. But, if you can get the production that Murray is giving and it helps a team win a Super Bowl, you take the Super Bowl victory and deal with the fall-off in his production the next season.

YR

Assumed fall off, Murray is getting the ball a lot he is not taking many big hits.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
^^ i guess its just smart to look a little down the road to prepare but, i can't argue this point either.

RS12

Reaction score
Probably not but it is more sustainable when first contact comes more down field like it has than at LOS. Down field he is getting hit by smaller guys.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
so you have 400 carries one year, you rest for 6-7 months, and somehow that impacts next year? its hogwash. The two are not tied together.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We would have the same success. Its the line not the running back.

Agreed, but I do think Murray helps wear down a defense a little better than most backs because of his physical style.

I think a lot of other RB's could do more when they get into the secondary though.

Murray is a really good runner but the yards he leaves on the field drive me insane sometimes.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, but I do think Murray helps wear down a defense a little better than most backs because of his physical style.

I think a lot of other RB's could do more when they get into the secondary though.

Murray is a really good runner but the yards he leaves on the field drive me insane sometimes.

Totally agree, Catch.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, you simply don't know until you do it. I could end his career. Potentially. But you play to win NOW. You don't hold back or try to pamper or baby players.
No, you play to win in January and February and to be competitive into the future. Keeping Murray on this pace is very very likely to make him less effective come playoff time. So you don't do it.

If we do give him 370+ carries this year, I seriously hope we don't sign him.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The truth of the matter is he needs to have a big game at some point that can sustain several smaller ones. I think we are going to need him fresh for the playoffs. To have that he's going to need at least one monster game to sustain this pace.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
someone had to take a shot....

charlie_casserly_HS_12_65.jpg
he says if no murray then no Cowboys....really?..not at all?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Assumed fall off, Murray is getting the ball a lot he is not taking many big hits.

The trend is there. Outside of Eric Dickerson, every tailback that gets more than 385 carries has had a large fall-off in production the following season. So, the trend is certainly there and I tend to believe that will be the same for Murray until either he or other tailbacks start to buck that trend.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The trend is there. Outside of Eric Dickerson, every tailback that gets more than 385 carries has had a large fall-off in production the following season. So, the trend is certainly there and I tend to believe that will be the same for Murray until either he or other tailbacks start to buck that trend.

YR

I agree there is a past history with other player. Some guys like Jamal Anderson was a serious injury that did him in. I think each individual is different so we will see. Meantime I think Cowboys will do what they can to keep Murray. I have honestly never seen a fan base who wants to push a star player out as bad as many have with Murray. Not referring to you but to those who seem to think he can easily be replaced.

Reactions: BAT

DenCWBY

Reaction score

Totally agree with your last paragraph. He's a very tough and effective back but he misses some holes and does not seem to use his down field blocking. He sometimes seems to run away from daylight just to get a short couple of yards past the LOS.
Otherwise I love his toughness, heart and desire to compete.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
We really do need to limit his carries. Hopefully we keep winning and everyone we need to lose start losing so we can secure the division or top playoff seed earlier so we can rest him up a little.

Just sprinkle In Randle and other back here and there.

conner01

Reaction score
i don't think letting him get that many carries is in his best interest or the team. i do believe and history show that backs with huge carry numbers tend to drop off quickly after those huge years. thats said to me it's more about keeping him fresh throughout the season. keep him around 20-22 carries till the playoffs and then it does'nt matter.if he carried the ball that much this year and we resign him i think the risk is very high