Is OSA too light to be a DT in this new scheme?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Searched him up, he's 280lbs, it's been said that we want to get bigger up front. With that said, could we possibly move him out at DE to get him some work out there, plug in a heavier Mazi and another big guy to man the middle??

Maybe in the nickel put him back at DT some or keep him at DE, this could be fun, please give your thoughts!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he needs help. I think the lack of another good 3 tech to rotate with him hurts him and this team.

He plays a lot of snaps and I think he wears down toward the second half of the year.

If you got someone like Murphy, Fiske or Dorlus would help a good deal IMO.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think he needs help. I think the lack of another good 3 tech to rotate with him hurts him and this team.

He plays a lot of snaps and I think he wears down toward the second half of the year.

If you got someone like Murphy, Fiske or Dorlus would help a good deal IMO.
Really really want Fiske the guy doesn't wear gloves!!

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Searched him up, he's 280lbs, it's been said that we want to get bigger up front. With that said, could we possibly move him out at DE to get him some work out there, plug in a heavier Mazi and another big guy to man the middle??

Maybe in the nickel put him back at DT some or keep him at DE, this could be fun, please give your thoughts!
The Media Guide lists him around 295, but I’m also of the belief he could get back down to 280-285 to play SDE and 3T on passing downs

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't think he is for the under-tackle spot and he's probably being counted on to start ... because we don't have a lot of options.

starfan1

Reaction score

I think his weight plays a role he’s a tough dude and real good for about 10-11 games then he fizzles out

He’s not the only 1 either

exciter

Reaction score

280 was his combine weight. They had him at 287 by the start of his rookie season and playing around 290 since. If Geno Atkins can play it at 292, Laroi Glover at 285 figure it out!

Brooksey

Reaction score
All our Interior D-lineman should be stacking H & T...while eating footlong, high carb subs from Jersey Mikes.

We have Dlaw and Micah for the edge just plug the run you f*ing fa****s

Reactions: CWR

kskboys

Reaction score

He was too light to be a starter in the old scheme. Good rotational type player, though.

kskboys

Reaction score
280 was his combine weight. They had him at 287 by the start of his rookie season and playing around 290 since. If Geno Atkins can play it at 292, Laroi Glover at 285 figure it out!
Since there is a lot more to it than that, I think you may need to do some figuring yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghst187

Reaction score
Guy can play and we need guys who can play.
If we don’t resign Hankins though we might as well play Diggs and Gilmore along the DL as they will put up about as resistance as Mazi.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score

Laroi Glover player in Zimmer's scheme at 285.

Creeper

Reaction score
Who are their DTs? Mazi, who has yet to prove he can play in the NFL. Osa, who has shown some quality play at times, Carl Davis, who I think is a step lower than a JAG. Golston? Awful. I don't know if they will sign Hankins or not but if they want to then why not just do it?

At this point I do not see then using a 1st round pick on a DT again. I still think when the Cowboys pick in the first round in the draft, it will be an Edge guy. I just have this feeling that is where they will go.

quickccc

Reaction score

Bills Ed Oliver is 287 lbs in their 4-3 scheme. ...but aside from Ed, i just cannot think of many big name interior DTs in a 4 man front that are succeeding playing at 285 pounds.

And Osa may not be the type that plays much bigger than what his size suggests.
he really may fit and suited more as a 3-4 DE, than a 4-3 three tech DT.

He has great initial quickness and lateral pursuit, but i also tend to notice that he tends to wear down
at season's end. He's not near as effective and dangerous at the end, as he is at the first half of the season.

Zim is a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 guy.
Maybe Osa is more effective as a nickel-rotation guy than as a full time DT in a 4-3 ?

Since we're likely to have very little quality depth at the DL this year (per this weird Money Ball operation) - i don't see Osa being replaced in the starting lineup this year. He's easily the best we've got - and gonna get.