Is our HB group historically bad?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We have two backs that are completely out of gas in Elliott and Cook. And two backs who have done next to nothing in the NFL. We are at a point where Rico Dowdle is our best hope to have an adequate every down back

Is it possible we have one of the worst HB groups of all time. I honestly cant remember a worse group anywhere

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We have two backs that are completely out of gas in Elliott and Cook. And two backs who have done next to nothing in the NFL. We are at a point where Rico Dowdle is our best hope to have an adequate every down back

Is it possible we have one of the worst HB groups of all time. I honestly cant remember a worse group anywhere
Very well could be. One of the worst I’ve seen around here going back to the Troy Hambrick years.

Chasing6

Reaction score

They haven't played yet.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They haven't played yet.
Well the only real hope we have of having an effective every down back is a guy with fewer than 100 carries. He has a career YPC under 4 as a #2 back.

Vaughn is too one dimensional to be expected to have a heavy work. He was a disaster in pass pro last year.

Zeke was slow 5 years ago

With Cook, backs that have a history of lower body injuries dont age well. If you are expecting a rebound year, you will probably be disappointed

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well the only real hope we have of having an effective every down back is a guy with fewer than 100 carries. He has a career YPC under 4 as a #2 back.

Vaughn is too one dimensional to be expected to have a heavy work. He was a disaster in pass pro last year.

Zeke was slow 5 years ago

With Cook, backs that have a history of lower body injuries dont age well. If you are expecting a rebound year, you will probably be disappointed
There is no hope for an every one back in this group. That is the whole point of having a committee.

Next years draft is deep at RB. Hopefully we get 2 and still have a committee.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think this group is going to surprise some fans. Keep in mind, MM doesn't ask much from his RBs in the conventional concept of say 100+ yards per game from one player. He is more concerned with having the right player(s) on the field for protection and receiving and spreading the yards among several players. In other words, he will use 2-3-4 players to be your traditional 3-down RB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Zeke is “completely” out of gas. He did have over 600 rushing yards in a limited role on a bad team with no QB last season and had just under 1000 combined yards. He scored 5 TDs. He caught over 50 passes for over 300 yards. We’ll see how bad this group is when the regular season starts. Hopefully it isn’t as bad as it looks. If the young players on the OL improve us upfront that would help.

heir

Reaction score
It's not even close to the worst of all time. Thos ewhonsay that do not remember Darryl Moose Johnson was a TAILBACK with the backfield mate Tommy Agee.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Historically? Probably not. I remember the hambrick year. That was pretty bad.

But yes our RB group is really not good on paper.

We have to really really hope that Zeke and Cook have more left in the tank than they have recently showed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is no hope for an every one back in this group. That is the whole point of having a committee.

Next years draft is deep at RB. Hopefully we get 2 and still have a committee.
I think this group is going to surprise some fans. Keep in mind, MM doesn't ask much from his RBs in the conventional concept of say 100+ yards per game from one player. He is more concerned with having the right player(s) on the field for protection and receiving and spreading the yards among several players. In other words, he will use 2-3-4 players to be your traditional 3-down RB.
Having a commitee is ok if all the HB's on your roster dont suck. We pretty much have 4 very bad running backs

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go as far as to say Zeke is “completely” out of gas. He did have over 600 rushing yards in a limited role on a bad team with no QB last season and had just under 1000 combined yards. He scored 5 TDs. He caught over 50 passes for over 300 yards
I think we can expect at least this much from Zeke, which would be great. Remember he did this with some awful QB play last season.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Can't say it's the worst in history but it ain't good. It reminds me of our WR group that first year after we let Dez go....awful play that led to us trading for Amari....i could see something similar happening this year

DandyDon52

Reaction score

depends a lot on coaching and play calling.
Can the line open some cracks?
Even a good RB needs cracks, and good coaches. Line coach blocking schemes etc.

Plankton

Reaction score

Look at the Cowboy running back group in 1989:

Paul Palmer
Broderick Sargent
Junior Tautalatasi
Darryl Clack
Kevin Scott
Daryl Johnston