Is our HB group historically bad?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn’t go as far as to say Zeke is “completely” out of gas. He did have over 600 rushing yards in a limited role on a bad team with no QB last season and had just under 1000 combined yards. He scored 5 TDs. He caught over 50 passes for over 300 yards. We’ll see how bad this group is when the regular season starts. Hopefully it isn’t as bad as it looks. If the young players on the OL improve us upfront that would help.
Elliott also had 3.5 yards a carry. Stevenson got 4.0 yards a carry, and he is no stud

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The group we had with Darren McFadden and Joseph Randle were pretty bad in 2015. McFadden was at the end of the line and Randle who wasn’t all that great ended up getting suspended during the season for stealing underwear. :rolleyes: Romo ended up having to carry the team which led to him getting injured. The year prior we had a great running game with DeMarco Murray who set a franchise record with over 1800 yards. The Joneses tried to convince us that a committee of average backs would work. McFadden had just over 1000 yards but a better back would’ve gotten at least 1300 behind the great OL we had. McFadden only had 3 rushing TDs compared to Murray who had 13 in 2014.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think we can expect at least this much from Zeke, which would be great. Remember he did this with some awful QB play last season.
I mentioned he had no QB last season. If he can stay healthy and avoid any nagging injuries, he’ll be much better than a lot of fans think he will. He knows he’s at the end of the line with his career and you can bet he’ll give everything he has. This could be his final season.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Absolutely......the present adjectives are slow, old, mediocre, over the hill, undersized, inexperienced and underwhelming
George Allen used to have very tough "over the hill" teams back in the 70's. Not just rb's but team wise. So shall we take a wait and see attitude or just judge it based an the adjectives?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Elliott also had 3.5 yards a carry. Stevenson got 4.0 yards a carry, and he is no stud
Zeke was used to pound the ball a lot between the tackles. He did move the chains in some critical situations. He was still able to squeeze out a yard or two when needed. A dirty yard or two, especially when you’re trying to punch the ball into the end zone could make the difference between winning and losing a game.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zeke was used to pound the ball a lot between the tackles. He did move the chains in some critical situations. He was still able to squeeze out a yard or two when needed. A dirty yard or two could make the difference between winning and losing a game.
Ill believe he can be anything effective when I see it. Dudes fallen hard since 2019. I cant see a back with the amount carries he has logged somewhow getting better

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
McFadden had just over 1000 yards but a better back would’ve gotten at least 1300 behind the great OL we had. McFadden only had 3 rushing TDs compared to Murray who had 13 in 2014.
I remember a poster talking up McFadden's 1000 yards as if we didn't miss Murray. The impact between both running backs was night and day.....easy.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The group we had with Darren McFadden and Joseph Randle were pretty bad in 2015. McFadden was at the end of the line and Randle who wasn’t all that great ended up getting suspended during the season for stealing underwear. :rolleyes: Romo ended up having to carry the team which led to him getting injured. The year prior we had a great running game with DeMarco Murray who set a franchise record with over 1800 yards. The Joneses tried to convince us that a committee of average backs would work. McFadden had just over 1000 yards but a better back would’ve gotten at least 1300 behind the great OL we had. McFadden only had 3 rushing TDs compared to Murray who had 13 in 2014.
Yea it's like Jerry never learns from his mistakes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ill believe he can be anything effective when I see it. Dudes fallen hard since 2019. I cant see a back with the amount carries he has logged somewhow getting better
A lot of it will depend on the blocking upfront. We didn’t leave ourselves with any good options at RB by not drafting one or picking up a quality RB in free agency.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A lot of it will depend on the blocking upfront. We didn’t leave ourselves with any good options at RB by not drafting one or picking up a quality RB in free agency.
People talk about how much we upgraded the line, but really we just replaced two starters with rookies. And Guyton is not going to he an upgrade over Smith. Beebe should be better than Biadasz, but probably by not as much as people expect

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I remember a poster talking up McFadden's 1000 yards as if we didn't miss Murray. The impact between both running backs was night and day.....easy.
1089 yards wasn’t very impressive behind the OL we had in 2015 but some fans try to make a lot more of it than what there was. That was over 750 yards less than Murray gained the previous year. Not to mention McFadden scored 10 fewer TDs than Murray. McFadden also missed a block against Carolina that got Romo re-injured. It all led to a 4-12 season after going 12-4 the previous season.