Is Prescott the next RG3/Kaepernick

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
How do we know?

Every time I read or hear this question I think of the stereotypical idealistic assumptions of people. Not saying you have one!

Not all black QB's are better athletes then they are at being a traditional QB. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Dak's skill set is not athletism, but by first his leadership then his outstanding skill set of running an offense.

Gameover

Reaction score
635875444009776356-1125123325_BAMA.jpg
With 25th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft....

After the Cows trade Romo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
you just 100% described kaepernick tho. he was always pass first.

Go back to Kaepernick early on and look at what made him successful.

IT was the Zone read. He wasn't doing a lot of field scanning.

Also, he had a insane defense he could rely on.

Then guys like KAepernick and RG3 started taking a ton of shots even on zone reads where they didn't have the ball. They just couldn't stay healthy.

What im trying to say is that Kaepernick and RG3 are a completely different style of QB and Dak Prescott plays the game like a traditional NFL QB.

Gameover

Reaction score
I wasn't doubting his ability. I'm just saying that because he had a year to learn from a clean pocket, he's building muscle memory of how to stay in a pocket when it collapses around you.
What tends to happen with rookie quarterbacks is they get paired with terrible offensive lines, and they're under siege. They don't get a chance to scan the defense comfortably. And this tends to make them gun shy. I don't know at which point it takes for a quarterback to become shell-shocked (so to speak), but some quarterbacks (David Carr, Andre Ware, Tim Couch, Heath Shuler, etc.) never recover from being beaten up so much their first years. They start getting happy feet and assuming they're under pressure when they're not.

I believe some of those guys could have been good quarterbacks had they been in a situation like Dak's.
I think you have it or you don't. Troy Aikman got beat like a rag doll, he survived it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Every time I read or hear this question I think of the stereotypical idealistic assumptions of people. Not saying you have one!

Not all black QB's are better athletes then they are at being a traditional QB. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Dak's skill set is not athletism, but by first his leadership then his outstanding skill set of running an offense.

Same.

NFL teams knew he had good physical ability.. Where they whiffed completely on him was all the intangibles that you can't measure.

He has the best intangibles ive ever seen for a rookie QB and he showed off those intangibles on the most scrutinized organization in the NFL. If he was vulnerable at all to outside criticism or having pressure from a QB like Tony Romo being on the sideline it would've shown but the guy was ice cold the entire season when it came to that stuff.

He has complete focus, leadership, and game management skills.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Go back to Kaepernick early on and look at what made him successful.

IT was the Zone read. He wasn't doing a lot of field scanning.

Also, he had a insane defense he could rely on.

Then guys like KAepernick and RG3 started taking a ton of shots even on zone reads where they didn't have the ball. They just couldn't stay healthy.

What im trying to say is that Kaepernick and RG3 are a completely different style of QB and Dak Prescott plays the game like a traditional NFL QB.

I get the argument, and I'm fine with putting RG3 out there like that. I just think that Kaepernick is super close to Dak, EXCEPT kaep has never had a good WR set which skews how he plays a little.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I get the argument, and I'm fine with putting RG3 out there like that. I just think that Kaepernick is super close to Dak, EXCEPT kaep has never had a good WR set which skews how he plays a little.
I personally think Dak is a far better passing QB than Kaep was. In fact, it isn't close tbh. Faster release, goes through his progressions, better poise in the pocket. I'm comparing Dak to the 2013-2014 Kaep, btw.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I'd compare Dak to Russell Wilson more than the other two, though Dak runs even less than Wilson. Dak also doesn't rely on the read option nearly as much as the other two did, which is a huge plus becuase it has been proven that defenses have adjusted to essential kill offenses that heavily rely on the read option.

Gameover

Reaction score
I personally think Dak is a far better passing QB than Kaep was. In fact, it isn't close tbh. Faster release, goes through his progressions, better poise in the pocket. I'm comparing Dak to the 2013-2014 Kaep, btw.
He's a better passer than Wilson.

movaughn88

Reaction score
He is a very hard worker,I have all the confidence in the world he will improve his mechanics and also see the field better.

It was always very cool reading the (granted rose colored) pieces about what Romo worked on over the offseason, whether it was footwork, release, etc. and I look forward to seeing what the coaches (and Dak himself) highlight as things for him to work on.

Some of it will be mental as well - with a season under his belt, he can study the blitzes and different looks he's already seen. There's only so many defensive wrinkles under the sun out there.

One thing I think we can take a ton of confidence in, is this kid is about to go to work over the next 6 months.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Same.

NFL teams knew he had good physical ability.. Where they whiffed completely on him was all the intangibles that you can't measure.

He has the best intangibles ive ever seen for a rookie QB and he showed off those intangibles on the most scrutinized organization in the NFL. If he was vulnerable at all to outside criticism or having pressure from a QB like Tony Romo being on the sideline it would've shown but the guy was ice cold the entire season when it came to that stuff.

He has complete focus, leadership, and game management skills.

I could not have stated this better and I didn't. Lol.

Here's my question. In reading your statement everyone will probably agree 100% with your assessment, but yet we still get that question from the OP and others.

Gameover

Reaction score
Let me bottom line this: Dak will finish in the top 3 MVP vote in 2017.

I read a column off the Landry hat that said it's a myth that Dak will be better next year with more experience. The writer quoted someone as saying " Is he going to throw less interceptions next year?" No, he'll throw more TD and more yards than he did this year!

4,200 yards, 35td, 9int

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
How do we know?
What Dak was able to do so well this year that a lot of rookies can't do was to have success against defenses that are expecting pass. We only ran once from these formations all year long, so this success has nothing to do with the threat of the run.

From 4+WR formations, rookie season
Code:
2016 Prescott 115 of 168 1363 yd 8 td 2 int 9 sk 103.8
2012 Griffin   44 of  71  316 yd 3 td 0 int 5 sk  86.4
2012 Wilson    65 of 107  724 yd 3 td 1 int 7 sk  86.3
2015 Mariota   37 of  62  406 yd 2 td 1 int 5 sk  83.1
2016 Wentz    116 of 184 1045 yd 4 td 5 int 6 sk  74.2
2015 Winston  102 of 183 1109 yd 7 td 9 int 9 sk  66.0
2012 Luck      91 of 187 1181 yd 9 td 9 int 9 sk  64.9

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Haven't read through the thread so I'm sure someone else has mentioned it but both RGIII and Kaepernick were running run-option schemes in the NFL. Neither evolved

Prescott was running a more traditional scheme.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Dude you don't get it? Comparing their style of play is not the point.
What? Let me explain my post. Pay attention this time.

The question is whether or not Dak will regress from year 1 to year 2 like those QBs did (Although kapernick wasnt a rookie when he started).

RG3 failed because he got hurt and his game revolved around his running ability. Without that ability, and the fact that he cant read defenses, you get poor qb play from him.

Kapernick's bread and butter was the read option. It was pointed out several times that he was a one read qb and couldnt go through his progressions. Teams stopped the read option now, so hes not successful.