Is RB a bigger need than we think?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I know no one has really considered drafting a RB but lets muse the idea of the front office taking a rb. Would drafting Harris or Javonte Williams give us that 3 headed monster at rb? My feeling is it would take alot of pressure off Dak and the defense. I dont really trust Zeke and Pollard. The oline needs addressed too. As much as Iove Pitts, I would prefer to trade back and just take good football players across the board. In todays game the ground game is shared. One guy just doesnt seem to work. I know drafting a RB is outside the box thinking, but I think its actually the elephant in the room that is debate worthy. Lets do a deep dive on the Rb prospects and how they might fit on our team and draft board.

tm1119

Reaction score
I know no one has really considered drafting a RB but lets muse the idea of the front office taking a rb. Would drafting Harris or Javonte Williams give us that 3 headed monster at rb? My feeling is it would take alot of pressure off Dak and the defense. I dont really trust Zeke and Pollard. The oline needs addressed too. As much as Iove Pitts, I would prefer to trade back and just take good football players across the board. In todays game the ground game is shared. One guy just doesnt seem to work. I know drafting a RB is outside the box thinking, but I think its actually the elephant in the room that is debate worthy. Lets do a deep dive on the Rb prospects and how they might fit on our team and draft board.

There’s counseling help available for your trust issues.

John813

Reaction score
Not in 2021.

Like it or not, the Cowboys are tied to Zeke for the next few years. If he fades, Pollard is here for two years. They can find a dime a dozen RB to tread the water until they can take one in day 2 to try to be a difference maker.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not in 2021.

Like it or not, the Cowboys are tied to Zeke for the next few years. If he fades, Pollard is here for two years. They can find a dime a dozen RB to tread the water until they can take one in day 2 to try to be a difference maker.
fair enough. I just worry about counting on Zeke.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yea, I don't think he'll be that 2016 guy ever again. At worst though I think he can be that good back that can wear down defenses but won't ever live up to his paycheck. And then when his prorated bonuses drop a lot, I think SJ cuts him
Can we totally rule out drafting a high profile rb if its a huge value? What if Javonte Williams is there at 75? What about Harris at 44? I think the temptation for Jerry to pull the trigger will be huge. Harris is beast mode. Williams is like Clinton Portis.

J-man

Reaction score
Zeke will be released after 2022. His "huge" 6 yr contract extension was in fact only a 2 year extension. In 2023 they will have $6.7m in dead $, but save $8.3m against the cap. And a total of $50.3m between '23-'26.

We could take one in the mid rds this year, but I tend to think they will wait until the 2022 draft.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i actually think...over all...its a position of strength.
i love our depth with pollard,dowdle and olonilua at fb.
i wouldnt mind adding one late...but most likely a udfa.

John813

Reaction score
Can we totally rule out drafting a high profile rb if its a huge value? What if Javonte Williams is there at 75? What about Harris at 44? I think the temptation for Jerry to pull the trigger will be huge. Harris is beast mode. Williams is like Clinton Portis.

I mean the value is there, especially with Williams at 75.
Wouldn't hate it but I really hope we have a good defensive draft. All three phases of the defense needs love.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule it out for this draft.

If someone they have a 2nd round grade on is there in the 4th, as an example...it may happen.

Personally I'd rather wait until next year not even knowing who is available.

That's how easy it is to replace a RB and also why they should never be picked high or given big money.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. Pollard is underrated.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The team is locked in with Zeke for two more years. And the have Pollard for two more years I believe. Those are our running backs.
If he feels like playing he can still be an effective back...just isn't going to play to the contract and people resent that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he feels like playing he can still be an effective back...just isn't going to play to the contract and people resent that.

I’m one of those people. But I don’t fault the player for asking for the money, I fault the idiot son for caving in and paying that money.

Little Enos hasn’t handled one significant contract negotiation that’s he had well.

But what this team absolutely CANNOT DO is to allocate even more resources to the position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I mean the value is there, especially with Williams at 75.
Wouldn't hate it but I really hope we have a good defensive draft. All three phases of the defense needs love.
agree...and would love to see us draft a great kick returner as well to add another element to that unit. We lack that speed merchant that can take it to the house on ST.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
why? is it higher than DT? DE? LB? CB? Saftey? how much better will the team get with another RB while they have the highest paid RB on the team? when was the last time a 3 headed RB worked. RBs usually need a lot of carries to get into a groove of running, feeling the lanes, feeling the blocking, etc....and in the end we have about what? 25-30 carries. should we spend a high pick and a 16M RB and give them 8 carries each? makes no sense at all

Verdict

Reaction score
You can never have too much talent on the team. Let’s say Rhamondre Stevenson is there in the 6th round. You draft him, even though you expect that he would only play in blowouts or in case of injury.

If Zeke or Pollard get injured Stevenson can carry the rock 25 times per game and be similar to Zeke. He can pound it between the tackles or hammer it in on short yardage. That’s great cheap labor and great insurance.

Don’t forget we are going to play 17 games this year. More games equals more injuries.

DanA

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind a fullback like Ben Mason or a big bodied RB to sit behind Zeke taken in the 5th-7th but until the contract situation is more flexible, Zeke is our guy.

I would probably earmark 3 out of the last 4 picks as offensive with 6 out of the first 7 offensive.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If a guy like Trey Sermon was there in the 5th, I might go ahead and use a pick there. Let him compete for snaps.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A premium pick, no. Maybe a late rounder. We pass alot and Pollard could probably be a 1000 yard runner if he started. The touches just wouldn't be there to justify a day 2 pick. Or even an early day 3. 2022 draft is another matter though