Is RB a bigger need than we think?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
On Day 3, any position is open IMO. You're just looking for guys who will make the team.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
No way they have Pollard. I start Pollard in Madden and move zeke to FB

quickccc

Reaction score
Not in 2021.

Like it or not, the Cowboys are tied to Zeke for the next few years. If he fades, Pollard is here for two years. They can find a dime a dozen RB to tread the water until they can take one in day 2 to try to be a difference maker.

Not yet sold on Pollard as an every down starting back.
We really would need to see him in full games and starting a streak of full games to determined that he can be a every down full game starter
and because of coaching failures here (see Kellen/McCarthy) he's still quite underdeveloped in pass game.
with the right coaches, he could've been one of the better nickel backs in the NFL..

In spots and occasions he's shown burst, homerun ability, surprising lower body tackle-breaking power, and run instincts.
But thus far we've only use this ability as a change of pace type. It's a big difference between the two roles.

I think Pollard is gonna get a surprising big offer from another NFL team and end up walking as a FA.
Where/what team he ends up and what coaches, scheme, and support cast is around him will determine what kind of full time player he can be.

I'm still very disappointed how we have underused and under developed his skill set here.

quickccc

Reaction score
with zeke and pollard on board, i'm not drafting any RB early or mid , and only late if he has immensely mad return skills that would prove
valuable to our special teams.

I'm only interested in Zeke returning to and regaining that home run- breakaway ability.
A return to the more 40 yard runs or screen plays that we saw in 2016/2017 years.
He has to be Adrian Peterson-like for us again, a fear factor, not just a bunch of short, angry power runs, and methodical grinds.
- He's clearly lost burst and agility. (since Garrett coaches bulked him up)
Don't even see the high lighted, patented jump hurdle over defenders anymore.

- Otherwise we could have drafted Jalen Ramsey in the 1st rd, and followed that up
with a Derrick Henry in the 2nd round.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I know no one has really considered drafting a RB but lets muse the idea of the front office taking a rb. Would drafting Harris or Javonte Williams give us that 3 headed monster at rb? My feeling is it would take alot of pressure off Dak and the defense. I dont really trust Zeke and Pollard. The oline needs addressed too. As much as Iove Pitts, I would prefer to trade back and just take good football players across the board. In todays game the ground game is shared. One guy just doesnt seem to work. I know drafting a RB is outside the box thinking, but I think its actually the elephant in the room that is debate worthy. Lets do a deep dive on the Rb prospects and how they might fit on our team and draft board.
If Zekes production keeps falling but the team is stabile you will be able to replace his current production with a 3 headed monster RBBC

jrumann59

Reaction score
with zeke and pollard on board, i'm not drafting any RB early or mid , and only late if he has immensely mad return skills that would prove
valuable to our special teams.

I'm only interested in Zeke returning to and regaining that home run- breakaway ability.
A return to the more 40 yard runs or screen plays that we saw in 2016/2017 years.
He has to be Adrian Peterson-like for us again, a fear factor, not just a bunch of short, angry power runs, and methodical grinds.
- He's clearly lost burst and agility. (since Garrett coaches bulked him up)
Don't even see the high lighted, patented jump hurdle over defenders anymore.

- Otherwise we could have drafted Jalen Ramsey in the 1st rd, and followed that up
with a Derrick Henry in the 2nd round.
You also cannot forget the covid factor, he had covid before the season started.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yea, I don't think he'll be that 2016 guy ever again. At worst though I think he can be that good back that can wear down defenses but won't ever live up to his paycheck. And then when his prorated bonuses drop a lot, I think SJ cuts him
Let’s hope Stephen doesn’t fumble that one.

jrumann59

Reaction score
You're basing his decline off just last year.
Zeke had lost his patented burst way before covid19 came on the scene.
Maybe hopefully he gets better trainers to help put on the right bulk to gain some of that back.

quickccc

Reaction score
Maybe hopefully he gets better trainers to help put on the right bulk to gain some of that back.

Hopefully we get the proper trainers (and coaches) that will help direct ZKE to totally re-shape his body from less bulk, to more agility and explosiveness.
And He vastly needs that the self- confidence. I believe that led into some unusual fumble-itis streak that we've not seen from him.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Hopefully we get the proper trainers (and coaches) that will help direct ZKE to totally re-shape his body from less bulk, to more agility and explosiveness.
And He vastly needs that the self- confidence. I believe that led into some unusual fumble-itis streak that we've not seen from him.
The fumbles were more directly to him pressing trying to make things happen and being careless.

quickccc

Reaction score
The fumbles were more directly to him pressing trying to make things happen and being careless.

Distractions and a lack of confidence can cause pressing and carelessness.
He hasn't been like this with fumbles, since his 2nd rookie vs game vs Washington.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I know no one has really considered drafting a RB but lets muse the idea of the front office taking a rb. Would drafting Harris or Javonte Williams give us that 3 headed monster at rb? My feeling is it would take alot of pressure off Dak and the defense. I dont really trust Zeke and Pollard. The oline needs addressed too. As much as Iove Pitts, I would prefer to trade back and just take good football players across the board. In todays game the ground game is shared. One guy just doesnt seem to work. I know drafting a RB is outside the box thinking, but I think its actually the elephant in the room that is debate worthy. Lets do a deep dive on the Rb prospects and how they might fit on our team and draft board.
No don’t ever ask that again.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You're basing his decline off just last year.
Zeke had lost his patented burst way before covid19 came on the scene.

1,413 career carries and just four (4) runs of 40+ yards, and three of those runs occurred way back in 2016, during his rookie season.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would not use any of my top 5 picks on a RB. They have too many other holes to fill. But if they do pick a RB at138 or in the 6th round, I would want a guy with blazing speed.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Percentage of 20+ Yard Runs to Career Carries
Capture.jpg

"But that pass blocking tho!!!"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Nope, Pollard is fine!