Is Rivera coaching his last game as the Commander's HC?

Aven8

Reaction score
I agree, he's a good man but this is the NFL. To be honest, he's already fired. Do you think it was his decision to trade both starting DEs? He's trying to win games while management is already planning for next season.
Yeah it’s pretty sad to trade away your DE’s….especially when you’re a defensive guy. They played Philly as well as anyone has all year.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I have the same impression about Magic Johnson. He's not accustomed to the difficulties building an NFL team. More personnel which takes more time to develop and building on success with good draft choices and trades. It takes years. One player can easily transform an NBA team
Not usually as easy for an NFL team.
On the other hand, worst to first is more common in the NFL than the NBA. NBA has a tougher salary cap to manage due to mostly fully guaranteed contracts and trade rules.

ghst187

Reaction score
Most surprising part of Rivers’s tenure was how bad the defense was.
5 out of their past 8 first round picks, mostly high first round, were for their front 7 of the D. 1 additional of those was a db, so also defense. Yet…defense not great. Two of those picks are no longer even on the team and their recent pick, got benched on and off already.

Relatedly, the other first round picks:
WR Josh Doctson (no longer with team)
QB Dwayne Haskins (deceased)

817Gill

Reaction score
I suspect it is, esp if they lose. The NYG losses sealed it. I’m terrified they will actually get someone competent
Bill Belicheck is the rumored next coach and GM. I would be absolutely thrilled as he has shown zero ability to build a good team in todays game and has terrible interpersonal skills.

ghst187

Reaction score
Bill Belicheck is the rumored next coach and GM. I would be absolutely thrilled as he has shown zero ability to build a good team in todays game and has terrible interpersonal skills.
I heard that too but I just can’t believe it. Smells like a Comrade fan hopium-started rumor. It’s a no-win situation for him, he would only tarnish his legacy. Howell looks like Heinicke 2.0. They have some decent WRs but that’s about it. I imagine they will lose one of their DTs, they already ditched their two DEs. Their first round CB may or may not even be able to play. Their OL is meh. It will be a total rebuild without much draft capital.
Also, Bill is 72 years old. Does he have the patience for that? He’s far better off retiring into the sunset than going out on a sour note in Washington.

817Gill

Reaction score
I heard that too but I just can’t believe it. Smells like a Comrade fan hopium-started rumor. It’s a no-win situation for him, he would only tarnish his legacy. Howell looks like Heinicke 2.0. They have some decent WRs but that’s about it. I imagine they will lose one of their DTs, they already ditched their two DEs. Their first round CB may or may not even be able to play. Their OL is meh. It will be a total rebuild without much draft capital.
Also, Bill is 72 years old. Does he have the patience for that? He’s far better off retiring into the sunset than going out on a sour note in Washington.
For him I think it makes zero sense. But I believe Bill is dug in to being his type of coach and GM, at 72 he’s not changing his identity. He wants full control and only desperate franchises like Washington/LV/etc would grant him that power.

So it just depends on what he wants more, control or wins.

ghst187

Reaction score
For him I think it makes zero sense. But I believe Bill is dug in to being his type of coach and GM, at 72 he’s not changing his identity. He wants full control and only desperate franchises like Washington/LV/etc would grant him that power.

So it just depends on what he wants more, control or wins.
Yeah I don’t think he can win in Washington. I tend to think he would know that. Talent is bad, city is bad, stadium is bad, division is tough.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Dude is a class act. Silly to let him go midseason.
I disagree on both counts.
Dude fined his "friend" $100,000. Long story short... his friend has been
proven to be correct. (Jack Del Rio)
Class acts don't publicly scold friends for virtue signaling reasons.
Fire the guy now and they get to find out that Bienemy is not HC
material so they clean house at the end of the season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Whether he’s fired after today’s game or sometime later in the season he won’t be back next year.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Why if they lose today? That's dumb. If you don't beat a top 3 team in the conference you're fired. What?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think he can win in Washington. I tend to think he would know that. Talent is bad, city is bad, stadium is bad, division is tough.
Not having a consistent QB doomed him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I remember a whole lot of people in here that used to talk up how great a coach Rivera was... but, like I always say, they are only as good as their QB. Rivera was "Great," when Cam Newton was playing at MVP level. Since then.... Rivera sucks... just like they all do when they lose a good qb.

Plankton

Reaction score
Why if they lose today? That's dumb. If you don't beat a top 3 team in the conference you're fired. What?
The reasoning would be that the interim coach would have 10 days to get the team ready for the next game. Gives them a little more time to get settled. Also, it gives Washington a head start on recruiting a replacement.

ghst187

Reaction score
posters here claimed Rivera was
He had a decent resume, fielded some solid defenses, won playoff games, and was a stark contrast from the oddity hires previously.
Still hard to tell because he never did have a qb, their drafts were generally horrible, and I don’t know how much say he had on personnel acquisitions.