Is Taylor a dirty player?

Dat Dude

Benched
Reaction score
I dont think he plays dirty... He plays hard and aggressive ( and has mental lapses in coverage). He a hard hitter runs a low 4.4 and at 6'2 230 I would take him any day on our squad.

Now Roy is my favorite player on the roster (barely edged out T-new) but I would have Taylor any day of the week over Roy. Has more talent that just hasnt been tamed yet. He plays to out of control and will make big hits/plays.. but give them up as well.

You dont have go to Miami to have that swagger their players have. Most have that before they even get there. Thats who they target in recruiting. Too bad they dropped out of the Top 25. They need to bring back Jimmy...

Bizwah

Reaction score
I never said he wasn't good.

I never said he didn't have a good game.

Heck, Eric Williams was considered a dirty player...he was certainly good.

But he always seems to go for the head.

I think Taylor is too good of a talent to do this to himself.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
While the Skins did not have a good game, Taylor played decently around the LOS. His coverage, like the Skin's D-Backs, was not great. He did not play a "dirty" game tonight.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dat Dude said:
I dont think he plays dirty... He plays hard and aggressive ( and has mental lapses in coverage). He a hard hitter runs a low 4.4 and at 6'2 230 I would take him any day on our squad.

Now Roy is my favorite player on the roster (barely edged out T-new) but I would have Taylor any day of the week over Roy. Has more talent that just hasnt been tamed yet. He plays to out of control and will make big hits/plays.. but give them up as well.

You dont have go to Miami to have that swagger their players have. Most have that before they even get there. Thats who they target in recruiting. Too bad they dropped out of the Top 25. They need to bring back Jimmy...
Taylor is faster than Roy, that is the only thing he has over him. Roy has made more plays and has been the more consistent player since they've both been in the league. To take the lesser player is idiotic to say the least.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Taylor is faster than Roy, that is the only thing he has over him. Roy has made more plays and has been the more consistent player since they've both been in the league. To take the lesser player is idiotic to say the least.

Not so fast. Roy ran a 4.5 at the combine.

Taylor ran a 4.5 at Miami's prodays. Almost ALL THE TIME, proday times are faster then combine times. So I'd say Roy is AT LEAST as fast as Taylor.

Taylor's speed is overated, and Roy's speed is underated.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
That guy is all over the field. He's relentless. I do think he's one of the best safties playing. I wish he had a coach that had the nads to harness him a tad.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Taylor's head is preventing him from being a special player.

The guy is good for multiple bone head plays every week, from what I've seen.

His physical talent is scary good, no doubt. And his play tonight, for the most part, was superb. But he's a dumb player, IMO.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
You know, I watched the Sean Taylor highlight video. It seemed that all his big hits were after the play, or shots to the head.

Tonight, it seemed that most of his hits were to the head. He also had to get in one last shove on Glenn's TD that could've been flagged.

Last week he costs his team with a stupid personal foul......

I remember a Commanders fan saying that Roy was a dirty player, but it seems he's nowhere near as dirty as Taylor.

Thoughts?
I actually like watching Taylor play. I don't think he's dirty per se, but I do think he plays too reckless and hurts his team too often. What I'm saying is he doesn't remind me of Andre Waters who I do consider a dirty player. I wouldn't want him on the Cowboys because of his character issues, but there's no doubt the fool can play.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
At least he didn't spit in anyone's face TONIGHT.

Plain and simple....Sean Taylor is a tool.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Rack said:
Not so fast. Roy ran a 4.5 at the combine.

Taylor ran a 4.5 at Miami's prodays. Almost ALL THE TIME, proday times are faster then combine times. So I'd say Roy is AT LEAST as fast as Taylor.

Taylor's speed is overated, and Roy's speed is underated.
Then where is he getting that low 4.4 from?

:(I'll never understand why the warts on guys for other teams are ignored and the warts on our own guys are magnified.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Taylor is faster than Roy, that is the only thing he has over him.

That, and that he spits at players, makes efforts for late hits, and in general conducts himself like the thug he is. He cannot resist a late hit, out of bounds or not.

He's nothing like Roy in my book. Williams is a human missile on the field and will launch any part of his body to make the tackle. But even hits like last week's vs Lefty are self propelled by passion for the game and never do you imagine that the intent was to injure, to demean, to taunt, or to prop up his own ego. Roy's just a football playing dudes, with a purity of motive and desire. Sometime he screws up. But does anyone doubt he has meant to do it "right"?

It's not because Roy is 'ours' and Taylor is 'theirs'. Just comparing the off field personalities is enough to understand what each takes to his game. Roy, a bluff, hearty, regular old run-of-the-mill, down to earth nice guy. Taylor, a strutting psychopath. Just watch Roy's demeanor when he gets beat and compare it to Taylor's. Williams is about how he let himself and his team down. Taylor is about seething and taking it out on the next play(er).

I don't care what similarities folks see in hitting, tackling and all out pursuit of their man - these are two different species and you don't have to be a homer to see and understand that.

Bizwah

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
That, and that he spits at players, makes efforts for late hits, and in general conducts himself like the thug he is. He cannot resist a late hit, out of bounds or not.

He's nothing like Roy in my book. Williams is a human missile on the field and will launch any part of his body to make the tackle. But even hits like last week's vs Lefty are self propelled by passion for the game and never do you imagine that the intent was to injure, to demean, to taunt, or to prop up his own ego. Roy's just a football playing dudes, with a purity of motive and desire. Sometime he screws up. But does anyone doubt he has meant to do it "right"?

It's not because Roy is 'ours' and Taylor is 'theirs'. Just comparing the off field personalities is enough to understand what each takes to his game. Roy, a bluff, hearty, regular old run-of-the-mill, down to earth nice guy. Taylor, a strutting psychopath. Just watch Roy's demeanor when he gets beat and compare it to Taylor's. Williams is about how he let himself and his team down. Taylor is about seething and taking it out on the next play(er).

I don't care what similarities folks see in hitting, tackling and all out pursuit of their man - these are two different species and you don't have to be a homer to see and understand that.

Nice post.

Like I said, I love hard hitting players, but Taylor is on the edge.

I don't think he's a bad player. He's a very good player....it's just unfortunate that he continually hurts his team with dumb plays.

apickmans

Reaction score
Siigh. It pains me to see a thread dedicated to dissing the only player on our D that actually showed up tonight. Oh well it could be worse, we could be 0-2. Oh crap we are.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
LTN :hammer:

ST's problem is coming in AFTER getting beat, or being late on the play, then hitting someone, like shoving TG after it was clear that he caught a TD, or the couple of times he dragged TG outofbounds after a catch last year, or that helmet-to-helmet hit on the Vike receiver last week, it's him taking his fustrations out on the opposing player, which to me, is dirty

but the boy can play, just he's an arse

Bizwah

Reaction score
apickmans said:
Siigh. It pains me to see a thread dedicated to dissing the only player on our D that actually showed up tonight. Oh well it could be worse, we could be 0-2. Oh crap we are.

Come on....doesn't it irritate you?

I mean, Taylor makes a great play on one series.....then gives up a stupid 15yard penalty on another.

Yes, he showed up tonight. But I thought that he was always trying to "punk" our guys. Little shots to the head...an extra shove here and there...throwing the legs to the side after a tackle.

He seems more intent on trying to develop an intimidating presence than actually becoming a great football players (which he no doubt can be).

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
LTN :hammer:

ST's problem is coming in AFTER getting beat, or being late on the play, then hitting someone, like shoving TG after it was clear that he caught a TD, or the couple of times he dragged TG outofbounds after a catch last year, or that helmet-to-helmet hit on the Vike receiver last week, it's him taking his fustrations out on the opposing player, which to me, is dirty

but the boy can play, just he's an arse

Agreed. People call these malicious after-play hits "dumb". I call them "scum". He wants the attention of the cameras every bit as much as TO ever did, imo, only at a player's expense.

I appreciate a primo hit on a player as much as any fan - that Rumph jack-up of Terry tonight was an awesome hit. Far cry from Taylor's egregious attempts to get to the Pro Bowl based on faulty fan recollection of 'destroying' opponents. Add up his great hits that 'counted'. You won't see him on Roy's side of the ledger.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Dat Dude said:
but I would have Taylor any day of the week over Roy. Has more talent that just hasnt been tamed yet. He plays to out of control and will make big hits/plays.. but give them up as well.

Much like Lavar Arrington and you see how great he has become once he harnessed his agressive play.

Give me RW any day. RW has made more big plays and game changing plays than ST period! and that's even with not playing to his strengths of being in the box.

apickmans

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Come on....doesn't it irritate you?

I mean, Taylor makes a great play on one series.....then gives up a stupid 15yard penalty on another.

Yes, he showed up tonight. But I thought that he was always trying to "punk" our guys. Little shots to the head...an extra shove here and there...throwing the legs to the side after a tackle.

He seems more intent on trying to develop an intimidating presence than actually becoming a great football players (which he no doubt can be).

I love Taylor and it does irriate me, but not as much as our offense did tonight. Also with that extra shove here, throwing legs to the side stuff.....i mean hes supposed to hate dalls right? This is a rivarly right, hes supposed to hate dallas players. Anyways, I'm more upset about our offense and Brunell than Iam about Taylor. At least Taylor came to play.