Is there a stat on daks arm strength / velocity?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
anything outside of 20 yards is cringe-worthy for Dak. Either our guys can't get separation or he just can't throw downfield with any zip on the ball
well, last year he was 2nd in the league in throws of 20+ yards...right behind Purdy of all people. and he had 7 completions of 40+ yards, again Purdy leading with 14.

so then there is that!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Doesn't really matter. Accuracy, reads and timing are more important than strength/velocity.
I don’t agree with this. If you can’t make that outside, throw. You’re not going to survive in the NFL accuracy receivers can help make up for some of that.

cowboyed

Reaction score
To me Dak, inherently, not having enough arm strength or accuracy is a performance mischaracterization. Career wise he ranks as one of the top passers, comparative to even some of the elite receivers. I think it comes down to Dak being an inconsistent passer under pressure and poor decision making courtesy of today's aggressive and smarter defenses. As a post season caliber starting quarterback you have to have an outstanding offensive line, deep quality receiving corps, and running game as well as being backed by a run stopping, solid turnover bent defense to consistently have game winning success.

Aikman, was one of our most accomplished starting quarterbacks a few decades ago. In our team's most successful seasons led by Aikman, he also had outstanding running support, a formidable defense and dominant offense line to back him up. Ownership, general and executive management are largely to blame for our overall inconsistency due to questionable coaching staff and player acquisitions over too many years.
Add the persistent lack of quality long term team development planning is it a wonder then why our team can't recapture its dominance since the 90's, despite the greater player free agency and the salary cap management era?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He had enough of something to get 60 million a year!!!! We know how good of talent jerry and stephen are when it comes to player evals!

Let's not get it twisted, Dak's arm isn't great at all on the deep ball I should say, when wr's have to adjust most of the time it's not good, why can't we have a pass where the WR is being lead and can keep on running

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s out there. They time velocity at the combine now.
Dak was 54mph!
Mahommes 56mph
Herbert was 58mph
Allen highest ever timed at 61mph
D Watson 48… remember that because a lot of people on this board were pushing trading for him at time
Rush 45
Those are the one I can remember.
The average was between 52 and 55. Only a handful of the 30+ players broke the 55 mark!
Thank you, great stats.

Do they have the same for quick release. I thought I heard Marino had a fast release as did Romo.

When I watch Dak it seems like his motion takes forever.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
To me Dak, inherently, not having enough arm strength or accuracy is a performance mischaracterization. Career wise he ranks as one of the top passers, comparative to even some of the elite receivers. I think it comes down to Dak being an inconsistent passer under pressure and poor decision making courtesy of today's aggressive and smarter defenses. As a post season caliber starting quarterback you have to have an outstanding offensive line, deep quality receiving corps, and running game as well as being backed by a run stopping, solid turnover bent defense to consistently have game winning success.

Aikman, was one of our most accomplished starting quarterbacks a few decades ago. In our team's most successful seasons led by Aikman, he also had outstanding running support, a formidable defense and dominant offense line to back him up. Ownership, general and executive management are largely to blame for our overall inconsistency due to questionable coaching staff and player acquisitions over too many years.
Add the persistent lack of quality long term team development planning is it a wonder then why our team can't recapture its dominance since the 90's, despite the greater player free agency and the salary cap management era?
:hammer: :clap:

rags747

Reaction score
You guys will look for anything....lmao. Whatever his arm strength is, it's never been a problem. Staubach lacked arm strength. Danny White, Romo....it's not that important...smh.
Staubach did not lack arm strength. Danny White did.

Havic

Reaction score
A lot of it has to do with his awkward throwing motion when he is on the run. Idk whether it’s rust or not from not playing any preseason games but yes he looks like he lacks zip or is choosing to float it instead. He about got Tolbert killed on one of those decisions

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A lot of it has to do with his awkward throwing motion when he is on the run. Idk whether it’s rust or not from not playing any preseason games but yes he looks like he lacks zip or is choosing to float it instead. He about got Tolbert killed on one of those decisions
well when you run that slow, it's got to be hard to lift your arm up to throw a pass

Creeper

Reaction score
Dak's arm is strong enough. There have been successful QBs in the NFL with much weaker arms than Dak. I don't think Romo had a stronger arm than Dak.

Sometimes we see strong armed QBs with no touch. That's as bad if not worse than having a weak arm.

I would like to see the Cowboys go downfield more than they have been but is that Dak, or McCarthy? The Cowboys seem to prefer 15 play drives over quick strikes, but that could be Dak choosing the shorter safer passes.