Is there any other owner who has fired two HOF coaches?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Aikman being drafted would be a move for Landry for sure.

But engineering the Hershel Walker trade to Minny was not in anybody's wheel house except Johnson's.

Wonder how he thought of that anyway?

Anybody know that story?

I heard an interview once and basically Jimmy said that they needed players and the only thing they had worth trading was Walker......

garyo1954

Reaction score
Coach Landry's triplets...Troy,Herschel and Michael.
Randy White probably doesn't retire...and you'd think Doug Cosbie,Michael Downs and Everson Walls remain.
I don't think they win only 1 game....would Coach Landry start Troy as a rookie?...woulda been interesting to watch.

And Tom had Danny Noonan in his pocket as #12 overall, who would have succeeded Randy White. Can't remember how many times it was quoted he loved the weight room and could lift the Universal gym.

Bio says he married his wife in 2002. I didn't know that was legal in Texas. I thought you had to marry a woman to be your wife.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
he said he wanted to get good in a hurry and that Herschel was the best player they had...so they put him out there to see what they could get....rest is history.

if Landry comes back in '89...the offense woulda been Herschel heavy....I wonder if he still trades Steve Pelluer....and who starts...Danny or Troy???...probably Danny...I bet he sits Aikman as a rookie and lets him learn.
we'll never know.
I don't think they win only 1 game tho.
Walsh was drafted, too.

That was one of the craziest moves by Jimster.

Drafting Russell Maryland #1 was nutty also.

Jimster fortunately rolled with the rest of his plans but those 2 #1 picks were crazy and could have ruined Jimster bigtime.

cowboyec

Reaction score
And Tom had Danny Noonan in his pocket as #12 overall, who would have succeeded Randy White. Can't remember how many times it was quoted he loved the weight room and could lift the Universal gym.

Bio says he married his wife in 2002. I didn't know that was legal in Texas. I thought you had to marry a woman to be your wife.
I loved Danny Noonan...I thought he was gonna be a star....wrote him a few letters...sent me an autograph pic...still got it.
would've been interesting to see Landry's 'Boys in '89....would he have still drafted Tony Tolbert,Daryl Johnston and Stepnoski?
Gil Brandt said J and J used his board...so they still might have.
that was the infusion of talent Landry needed.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Walsh was drafted, too.

That was one of the craziest moves by Jimster.

Drafting Russell Maryland #1 was nutty also.

Jimster fortunately rolled with the rest of his plans but those 2 #1 picks were crazy and could have ruined Jimster bigtime.
he had an amazing eye for talent.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Coach Landry's triplets...Troy,Herschel and Michael.
Randy White probably doesn't retire...and you'd think Doug Cosbie,Michael Downs and Everson Walls remain.
I don't think they win only 1 game....would Coach Landry start Troy as a rookie?...woulda been interesting to watch.
The team needed a complete overall, the roster was old, White would have been in his 14th year and Walls, Downs in their 10th. We dont have the dynasty if Landry stayed.....and I loved Tom.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Firing Tom was pretty much a prerequisite for buying the team. The part Jerry screwed up was letting it slip before telling Tom personally.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Coach Landry wrote in his book he had just hired 2 new def asst coaches in '89...just before his firing.
they had or were in the process of relocating their families.
anyone remember or know who they were???
one I think took another gig in college.
but I can't remember their names.
Landry didn't mention their names in his book.

Plankton

Reaction score
Coach Landry wrote in his book he had just hired 2 new def asst coaches in '89...just before his firing.

George Hill was one of them.

Ironically, Hill became Jimmy Johnson's first defensive coordinator with the Dolphins in 1996.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Interesting question, but they probably wouldn't have done the Herschel Walker deal though, which was obviously important to the rebuild
Great point, I doubt Tom does that trade
Without the trade i doubt any super bowls

cern

Reaction score
That he didn't mention their names is telling.