Is there any question Dallas needs to keep Gallup?

J12B

Reaction score
It's basically Gallup vs Lawrence, Cooper or Zeke. In order to keep Gallup we will have to part ways with one of the following... Lawrence, Cooper or Zeke. So, you have to ask yourself, which of those guys is Gallup more important than?

Zeke should be the one to go.

We've got Pollard next year and can draft a RB in round 2 or 3.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Is there any question in your mind that Dallas needs to do their dead level best to keep this guy?

I do not recall any WR for this team, or any other, that plays the edges with such skill.

There has never been as much toe tapping at the Grand Ole Opry.

Agreed, but the Cowboys cap says no way.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s a bitter pill to swallow but RG94, Dalton Schultz, and Jayron Kearse are free agents and higher priority than Gallup and the big offer he’s going to get elsewhere. Hopefully he can help us get a ring while he’s here 2 more months, because there’s no way we can afford to keep him and let any of the 3 names I mentioned go.
Sad, but true

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’d definitely like to keep him, but I see no way to pay him, Lamb, and Cooper. You just can’t put that much money in that one position. Schultz and Gregory are both FAs as well as numerous others. You just can’t keep everyone. It’s not possible.
The capitol is expected to increase pretty drastically next year, no? Bucs have Godwin, AB, and Evans. It can be done.

ondaedg

Reaction score

thanks for providing me that link. The stat I saw for Adam’s was from a different source. Interestingly enough, nextgenstats has 81 receivers ranked higher in separation than Amari, Gallup, and Lamb. Yes 81. And also interestingly enough in 2018 Dak was ranked the best tight window passer in the NFL. All of these data points reinforce my statement that Dak is having to throw into tight coverages. And it refuted your statement that he needs “great receivers” to be successful. Actually it destroys that statement.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I am not as high on Schultz as most. He's slightly above average at best. To me he benefitted significantly from skilled players we have around him. His blocking is atrocious.

I really like Gallup but I would keep Cooper over him. We see a dramatic drop in WR production when Cooper is out and of all three WRs only Cooper has shown that he can carry the WR group.

He is reliable for the most part but nothing sticks out athletic wise to throw big money at him.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Y'all do this week to week lol. One week we need to keep Gallup. The next we need to trade him lol.

Whichever side the grass is green on this week right? But honestly I love what Gallup brings to the game. He is freakishly strong and may be the best at boxing out DBs on those over the shoulder catches. But salary cap will make it tough to keep him. I’ve never felt his route running was good enough for him to be paid like a #1 and if he demands that kind of money in FA then we may have to move on.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Whichever side the grass is green on this week right? But honestly I love what Gallup brings to the game. He is freakishly strong and may be the best at boxing out DBs on those over the shoulder catches. But salary cap will make it tough to keep him. I’ve never felt his route running was good enough for him to be paid like a #1 and if he demands that kind of money in FA then we may have to move on.
Yeah I think honestly he's more of a possession receiver...I don't pay big money for those type of guys. I still don't feel he's shown enough to even be worth big money but maybe i'm underrating the market.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
19 is the one you keep and then you pay 88. Gallup is good but I’m not sure he’s much better than what Alvin Harper was and you know how we feel about loving our guys too much and making the mistake of paying them.

DanA

Reaction score
Zeke should be the one to go.

We've got Pollard next year and can draft a RB in round 2 or 3.

It can’t be done, Zeke contract is too heavily slanted in his favor.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Some team will overpay Gallup thinking he's a number one and that's not him.

He's an A-plus complementary weapon, but he's not a true go-to guy. The consistency just isn't there. But he makes plays when there are others drawing attention away from him.

This isn't an indictment of Gallup, I want the Cowboys to keep him, but I think they have a better chance of re-signing Cedrick Wilson.

plasticman

Reaction score
I hate free agency.

Doesn't matter how talented your personnel department is, somebody is going to get the opportunity to steal those players.

You can't keep all your best players, you can't truly build a team, you are forced to rely on young inexperienced players and hope they contribute while developing. Then, when they are fully developed, you have to make a choice. That's just not right.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I hate free agency.

Doesn't matter how talented your personnel department is, somebody is going to get the opportunity to steal those players.

You can't keep all your best players, you can't truly build a team, you are forced to rely on young inexperienced players and hope they contribute while developing. Then, when they are fully developed, you have to make a choice. That's just not right.

It's true. Sometimes teams end up developing players for somebody else. But it's great for the players in that they can choose where they want to play and can pursue opportunities elsewhere just like the rest of us, however.