Is there anything you regret not doing in you life?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
but the biggest regret was me not divorcing my ex-wife sooner than I did. It sounds harsh, and when you're married for 30+ years you feel it's your obligation to stay married. I was miserable and so was she. Life is great now and I haven't been happier.

I feel this! Well, part of it. I can't imagine 30+ years! I wasted the first part of my 20s chasing around my daughter's mom. For years we were on and off again and I just went through a rollercoaster of hell trying to make it work with her. Finally, one day, I just woke up and had enough, but man, did it cost me some wasted years of my youth. One of the first things I would do with a time machine is go back and punch my younger self in the face, "FOCUS! You're wasting time dood!!!" haha :D

Winonesoon

Reaction score
I feel this! Well, part of it. I can't imagine 30+ years! I wasted the first part of my 20s chasing around my daughter's mom. For years we were on and off again and I just went through a rollercoaster of hell trying to make it work with her. Finally, one day, I just woke up and had enough, but man, did it cost me some wasted years of my youth. One of the first things I would do with a time machine is go back and punch my younger self in the face, "FOCUS! You're wasting time dood!!!" haha :D
ColorlessCleanCapybara-size_restricted.gif
I did something similar. I feel your pain.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But you have your daughter,which I assume makes it worth the rest.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I wish I had learned to speak Spanish. The foreign languages I did learn are German and French, but I missed the chance to get good at Spanish when I was very young. When I was 10, my parents sent me to stay with a family in Mexico City. Their English was so good that I wasn't desperate to learn Spanish. I learned some useful expressions, but I never got close to fluency. If I had it to do over again, I would want to study up on some Spanish before heading down to Mexico, and then use it as much as possible when there.

Later in life I learned German in college and went on exchange to Switzerland and German, and I got really good at it. Today using German is pretty much like using English. I can just do it without thinking. I then learned French much later in life, starting at age 48. I was too sick to work at the time, so I filled the time doing French lessons every day, then I worked with people online to improve. My French is passable, but not as good as German.

I could still learn Spanish, though I have noticed it gets harder to learn a language with age. That opportunity I had back when I was 10 I'll never have a gain. My counterpart, the kid from Mexico in that family came to stay with us in Texas. His English got much, much better because he had to. We didn't speak Spanish, so he had to pick up English or not be able to communicate.

csirl

Reaction score
I sometimes wish I had a full time career in sports administration. I'm quite good at it and have done it as a volunteer for most of my life. I've had some full time job offers over the years but salaries were always lower than I was earning - there's always an element of exploitation of people starting out in the industry or paying less because its prestigious.

I do enjoy my current job and still indulge my passion as a volunteer - which has included serving at Board level on a couple of organisations. But I always wonder. A close friend carved out a great career as a consultant.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So many...and some real doozies.
But its unhealthy to look back unless its to learn.

Here's one of many:
I had a high very high risk/ high return stock in 2001 that went from 25k in value to 1.3 million. I'm not rich, so that was a ton of money then and now.
I did not sell. Went out of the country on a business trip for 2 weeks and came back and it had tanked by 85%. My buddy and I convinced ourselves that it would come back.
It didn't.

DFWJC

Reaction score
USMC here and it wasn't all that bad, Green Beret, FFL and USMC Recon are all a lot harder. You'd never get me to jump out of a plane. :laugh:
His Seal training stories are nuts---- ex. being dropped from a plane into the cold ocean during new moon (pitch black) with no direction or food, and having to make your way to shore from nearly a mile out and then survive for the next week on...whatever........man. Craziness.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
His Seal training stories are nuts---- ex. being dropped from a plane into the cold ocean during new moon (pitch black) with no direction or food, and having to make your way to shore from nearly a mile out and then survive for the next week on...whatever........man. Craziness.

On occasion i would see them training at North Island, San Diego. I have the upmost respect for navy Seals.

csirl

Reaction score
Did they make it through training? From everything i have seen and heard its a grueling training cycle.

Yes, I knew him after he had returned from serving his full contract - he'd served for a few years between graduation and going to grad school - we were both grad students in the same Department. He never spoke much about it other than it was something interesting to do. He was one of the strongest/fittest people you'd ever meet.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I wish I had gone to college on a campus...did comm. college first, worked throughout/went at night while still living at home. A lot of growth/experience seems to come from that time period and hear others fond recollections and stories from their college years and know I missed something there.

Do the "corny" stuff, you may find out you end up liking more than you realize once exposed to more things.